• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs New Zealand

Q

QLD

Australia will play New Zealand on Thursday 19 November @ The Gabba, Brisbane in the first test.

Its Wednesday today and I had fears earlier in the week the match would be rained off and called a draw.. on Sunday we had the worst storm in Brisbane in 30 years (people called it cyclone like) and Brisbanes in a fair bit of damage ( http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/17/2422052.htm for those who give a **** about us). Right now 12pm my time its fairly sunny but pretty humid as that report has suggested expect storms tonight and heavy rainfall.. so its not looking to good.

I would've like to have gone to the match but has two exams tomorrow, one at 9am and one at 1pm so I'm ****** off by that but its probably gonna be rain delayed all day.

Andrew Symonds is a definete starter for the test match, Watson or Krejza to be 12 man. I reckon Watson should be in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Australia will play New Zealand on Thursday 19 November @ The Gabba, Brisbane in the first test.

Its Wednesday today and I had fears earlier in the week the match would be rained off and called a draw.. on Sunday we had the worst storm in Brisbane in 30 years (people called it cyclone like) and Brisbanes in a fair bit of damage ( http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/17/2422052.htm for those who give a **** about us). Right now 12pm my time its fairly sunny but pretty humid as that report has suggested expect storms tonight and heavy rainfall.. so its not looking to good.

I would've like to have gone to the match but has two exams tomorrow, one at 9am and one at 1pm so I'm ****** off by that but its probably gonna be rain delayed all day.

Andrew Symonds is a definete starter for the test match, Watson or Krejza to be 12 man. I reckon Watson should be in.[/b]

i'll be in toowoomba next week, hopefully all the crap weather has gone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Nov 19 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Andrew Symonds is a definete starter for the test match, Watson or Krejza to be 12 man. I reckon Watson should be in.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

lol have fun in <strike>boganville/dump</strike> Toowoomba

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Nov 19 2008, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 19 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

lol have fun in <strike>boganville/dump</strike> Toowoomba
[/b][/quote]

hahahah hey it's a special place. need to find something to eat other than hungry jacks though :)

southee bought the wrecking ball....

hopefully hussey and clarke can steady the ship with a partnership

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Nov 20 2008, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
FARK!!!!
we are sh*t now
back to the 80's[/b]

The scary thing is though, you guys seem to have no depth anymore. When Hayden, Katich, Symonds, Ponting, Lee all go I can't see any immediate replacements. Where as in the past 10 years you could have fielded 3 different XI's and beat any team in the world.

If Warne was injured, you brought in MacGill. McGrath injured, you had Gillespie, Kasprowicz. Heck, even Hussey was a back up for 10 years until Martyn retired. Gone are those days I reckon.

Great bowling from Southee though. Looks like a very good bowler, got Ponting out with a ripper.

we have plenty of guys waiting in the wings who have potential. hodge, david hussey, rogers, voges, then you have blokes like rob quiney who is in good form at the moment. hodge and d.hussey are capable, rogers has played a test, give the others a few years and there will be depth coming through. in saying that though it's hard to replace the dream team we had in the late 80's and throughout the 90's.

i can't see the footage of the game, what are conditions like? was the deck green as... i assume it was since nz won the toss and put us in

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Nov 20 2008, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
we have plenty of guys waiting in the wings who have potential. hodge, david hussey, rogers, voges, then you have blokes like rob quiney who is in good form at the moment. hodge and d.hussey are capable, rogers has played a test, give the others a few years and there will be depth coming through. in saying that though it's hard to replace the dream team we had in the late 80's and throughout the 90's.[/b]

That is true, but you can't replace world class players with other world class players anymore... which is what you were consistently able to do for the past 10 years.

fair comment, we don't have blokes that can just step in without having to step up to international levels

wickets seem to have dried up for nz now that the ball is a little older and the batsmen have their eye in.

There was a fantastic article in the Sydney Morning Herald today, written by Peter Roebuck.
I'll quote it here, now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
- Australians don't mind losing; they can't stand not trying to win
AS A new season starts, it is time to talk about the country this Australian team represents. It is a land in which a prime minister sits in a cafe without bodyguards, a land in which nippers plunge into breakers twice their size, a place in which firefighters subdue angry flames, taxi passengers sit alongside cabbies, in which the nation's leading run scorer could change places with a garbo, and doctors from Melbourne regularly go to Galle to assist victims of the tsunami.

Meanwhile, a woman from Gawler fills vast containers and sends them to AIDS victims in Africa, schoolchildren dig into their pockets to give hope to desperate Zimbabweans. It is a nation of SBS and shows featuring Muslim comedians.

As far as sport is concerned, it is a land that encourages a one-legged lad from Somalia to take up rugby league coaching and allows him to assist an under-16 team, a youngster from Ghana trains with his clubmates on the beach, a teenage settler from Ethiopia organises an international football tournament in Richmond from Boxing Day, in which disabled competitors stun sceptics with their intensity. It is a land that stops for a horse race and sheds tears when a great champion wins for the third time. It is a place where a wild-haired pole vaulter keeps a nation agog by clearing with his third leap.

It is a country that wins gold in an ice-skating race because everyone else falls over and then roars with laughter. It is a place that goes for gold. As a pal's mite once put it: "Dad, you've got to go for the win!"

As far as cricket is concerned, it is a land in which Victor Trumper's cortege is followed by a vast throng, a Muslim trains as a pilot, listens to 50 Cent and opens the batting for his state, the son of a Portuguese football player takes wickets for his state, and the son of a Czech goalkeeper takes wickets for his country. In Australia, an Aboriginal jailbird can straighten out his life, open the batting at a carnival and start a football team for female ankle-biters. It is a nation in which Kerry can spin yarns about his past, and Jim can talk about bottles of red, and everyone likes them for it.

It is a country in which a Test cricketer can emerge from White Cliffs or Dungog or Narromine, a land of fast bowlers, leg spinners, hard-hitting opening batsmen, a place of attack that stretches towards aggression. It is a land in which a former labourer can become an admired pace bowler and then a selector, fifth grade plays as hard as first grade and, at practice, people bat in order of arrival. Most of all it is the country that rose to Sachin Tendulkar when he walked to the crease at the SCG. Tendulkar almost stopped in his tracks. He had not realised such a nation existed. For visitors, it is easily missed.

As far as this Australian team is concerned, it is a place where an opening batsman fresh to India becomes curious about a laughter club, and a former captain opens a home for children in distress. It is a place in which a youngster raised in Mowbray can go to South Africa, criticise the way black people are treated, become a fine batsman and eventually captain his country. It is a land in which that same man could admit he had been a drinker and fighter, and mend his ways, and years later another player could confess that he had to get back on track.

That is the Australia that must take the field against New Zealand. Condemning former captains for voicing their opinions is not going to get the job done. Nor is grizzling about fiery opponents or running to the umpires. Nor is trying to defend the indefensible or bowling part-timers or setting spread fields or ignoring the over rate until it is too late or portraying critics as disloyal or arguing everyone must play and think the Aussie way. Daniel Vettori, like Anil Kumble a fierce competitor without a single blot in his copybook, is leading a side representing a friend, neighbour and ally. His youthful team will fight with every power at its disposal. The captain himself is a straightforward man and mighty cricketer. New Zealand ought to be accorded the utmost respect.

And then they ought to be taken apart with a ruthlessness that owes nothing to bragging or whining. Australia have taken their eye off the ball. Ricky Ponting and company need to stop looking askance and start giving the nation the team it yearns and deserves.[/b]

That's one of Peter Roebuck's best articles in my opinion, certainly the best of his I have ever read.

Geez the outfield's sandy. I've got the telly hooked up but there's no sound, so the radio's next to the telly :D Yay for a 3 second delay! :D

peter robuck is an absolute merkin dirt licking moron
that was one of his better articles as is wasnt directed at anyone
tomorrow after today - i expect him call for the sack of somebody.

Well it can't be the kiwis who have suddenly become world beaters....we really are pathetic.

It is only the first innings....Australia will probably bowl NZ out for half the score and then 3 of them will get centuries in every inning for the rest of the series. Never underestimate the Aussies!

That's about what I am expecting as well GG, I'm keeping my expectations way down low just like you.;)

Twas a great day of Cricket for us though...and against the old foe...I'll savour the moment 'cos it may be all we get.

Latest posts