• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian Barbarians vs England

Tomsey

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Rebels
The Australian Bah Bahs line up has been anounced.

James O'Connor, Nick Cummins, Will Chambers, Anthony Faingaa, Lachie Turner, Berrick Barnes (co-capt), Josh Valentine, Stephen Hoiles (co-capt), Matt Hodgson, Ben McCalman, Mark Chisholm, Mitchell Chapman, Laurie Weeks, Huia Edmonds, Pekahou Cowan. Res: Damien Fitzpatrick, James Slipper, Kane Douglas, Pat McCutcheon, Luke Burgess, Kurtley Beale, Peter Hynes.

Not a bad side, especially the backline, but a few random selections also (Cummins, McCalman, Slipper). Quite a representation from the Force too. 9 uncapped players in this line up and more with very few caps so it will be interesting to see how they gel. Lets hope England fields a similarly inexperienced lineup or it might get ugly....
Also interesting to see Edmonds, Burgess and Beale backing up from the test match. Is this an Indication they they will be dropped from the England test match?

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...yers-named-in-baabaas-team-20100606-xmm3.html

Not a bad side at all IMO. Fairly good except for Berrick "over-rated" Barnes and Josh "knock-on" Valentine

Is Rod Davies injured? I thought he was one of the stand out Australian wingers. I'd have liked to have seen him in this team.

Yeah he tore his hamstring (a recurring inury) in the last couple of S14 games

I assume Morahan is injured too. Strong B side all the same. Probably strong enough to trouble England's First XV.

I'm surprised Julian Salvi isn't in that squad, given he's just moved back to Oz and was clearly the best openside in the Guinness Prem last season. How is he considered down under?

ENGLAND
15 Delon Armitage (London Irish)
14 Matt Banahan (Bath Rugby)
13 Mathew Tait (Sale Sharks)
12 Olly Barkley (Bath Rugby)
11 Ugo Monye (Harlequins)
10 Charlie Hodgson (Sale Sharks)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks)
1 David Flatman (Bath Rugby)
2 Lee Mears (Bath Rugby)
3 David Wilson (Bath Rugby)
4 Dave Attwood (Gloucester Rugby)
5 Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
6 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins) Captain
7 Hendre Fourie (Leeds Carnegie)
8 Dan Ward-Smith (London Wasps)
REPLACEMENTS
16 George Chuter (Leicester Tigers)
17 Paul Doran-Jones (Gloucester Rugby)
18 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
19 Joe Worsley (London Wasps)
20 Paul Hodgson (London Irish)
21 Shane Geraghty (Northampton Saints)
22 Dominic Waldouck (London Wasps)

Johnson announced the English side this morning and here it is. Looks pretty handy a lot of size in the forwards and a lot of caps on the bench. Backline looks good to0 with a fair bit of pace and skill. Considering this is a similar team that played the Barbarians in England last week I think its going to be a bloody close game. Wish is was televised... (no you don't because you have an exam on Wednesday morning you idiot!)

http://rugby.com.au/news/wallabies_..._to_face_barbarians,139460.html/section/21893

apparently the Aussie Bah Bah's have a logo, I never knew that. Here it is out of interests sake

Aust_Bar_Bars_Logo_copy_team_logo.jpg

sump were

I'm surprised Julian Salvi isn't in that squad, given he's just moved back to Oz and was clearly the best openside in the Guinness Prem last season. How is he considered down under?
He was just a fringe player at the Brumbies from what I remember. Good to see he's done well over there, but so have other players (Rocky Elsom and Brock James to name just two) and that hasn't necessarily transferred into go form back home. Anyone know who he has signed for?

Salvi was nowhere near the best 7 in the league last season. In fact he was below par is a ******* shite Bath team for most of the season.

On Topic: Of that XV, only Flatman, Attwood, Robshaw & Monye (if he ever finds some form again) belong anywhere near a test team. Even a Barbarians side should make light work of them.

To be fair I think Olly Barkley has played well this season. I do like Dan Ward-Smith but age is against him.

Salvi was nowhere near the best 7 in the league last season. In fact he was below par is a ******* shite Bath team for most of the season.

On Topic: Of that XV, only Flatman, Attwood, Robshaw & Monye (if he ever finds some form again) belong anywhere near a test team. Even a Barbarians side should make light work of them.

Below par? Seriously?

Can you explain where you get that view from, because as far as I'm concerned he was our best player, who made the most tackles in the league and turned the ball over consistently every match.

And you say a '******* shite Bath team' - Yes, maybe they were poor at the beginning of the season, but considering they had the best form in the whole league going into the semis, and scored the most tries in the tournament over a season when they'd scored the second least at Christmas, i think it's ridiculous to claim they were a **** team. Also, they lost to the eventual winners of the Premiership, so you could arguably say they had as successful a season as the Saints, who i doubt you would describe as '******* shite'.

ENGLAND
15 Delon Armitage (London Irish)
14 Matt Banahan (Bath Rugby)
13 Mathew Tait (Sale Sharks)
12 Olly Barkley (Bath Rugby)
11 Ugo Monye (Harlequins)
10 Charlie Hodgson (Sale Sharks)
9 Richard Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks)
1 David Flatman (Bath Rugby)
2 Lee Mears (Bath Rugby)
3 David Wilson (Bath Rugby)
4 Dave Attwood (Gloucester Rugby)
5 Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
6 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins) Captain
7 Hendre Fourie (Leeds Carnegie)
8 Dan Ward-Smith (London Wasps)
REPLACEMENTS
16 George Chuter (Leicester Tigers)
17 Paul Doran-Jones (Gloucester Rugby)
18 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
19 Joe Worsley (London Wasps)
20 Paul Hodgson (London Irish)
21 Shane Geraghty (Northampton Saints)
22 Dominic Waldouck (London Wasps)

Johnson announced the English side this morning and here it is. Looks pretty handy a lot of size in the forwards and a lot of caps on the bench. Backline looks good to0 with a fair bit of pace and skill. Considering this is a similar team that played the Barbarians in England last week I think its going to be a bloody close game. Wish is was televised... (no you don't because you have an exam on Wednesday morning you idiot!)

http://rugby.com.au/news/wallabies_..._to_face_barbarians,139460.html/section/21893
Not a bad side,
Forwards look decent, with the exception of Hendre Fourie. Probably the best propping combination we've had since Payne was called up the other year
Hopefully Tim Payne not being there doesn't mean he'll be involved in the first test :(
Anyone know if any of these players may be involved in the test, or will it be a straight up midweek/test divide?
Hopefully Flatman has a blinder and can push Payne out of the first XV/22 (though if Paynes scrummaging is anything to go by, shouldn't be to hard to push him around)

Wigglesworth/Hodgson should link up well together, Midfield could be missing a bit of grunt, but i suppose with Banahan on the wing he'll add some power to the backs.
Hopefully Armitages form has improved, because he was a liability for most of the 6N

Why isn't this being televised?

Last edited:
Below par? Seriously?

Can you explain where you get that view from, because as far as I'm concerned he was our best player, who made the most tackles in the league and turned the ball over consistently every match.

And you say a '******* shite Bath team' - Yes, maybe they were poor at the beginning of the season, but considering they had the best form in the whole league going into the semis, and scored the most tries in the tournament over a season when they'd scored the second least at Christmas, i think it's ridiculous to claim they were a **** team. Also, they lost to the eventual winners of the Premiership, so you could arguably say they had as successful a season as the Saints, who i doubt you would describe as '******* shite'.

Give it a rest, Bath were looking like the team going down until the end of January and, yes it was decentish form at the end of the season and they made the playoffs, but were **** poor for the vast majority. And for that matter, of the 4 teams in the semis Bath were by a long margin the least deserving to go on and win anything. At least Saracens, Tigers and Saints all looked like potential champions from the opening weekend up until their respective last games.

Finishing 8 points behind 3rd (12 behind Tigers) and only picking up 12 wins along the way (barely 50% of games played) does not count as a successful season, just because the bullshit play-off system was there.

Will be pretty tough to see who's who with no commentator, and the whole pitch on one camera, it'll just "Oh, that white blob passed to the other white blob, then got tackled by that green blob"
Hopefully it will be available over there, it's a decent way to spend a tuesday afternoon

Latest posts