• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian National Club Competition

M

Mehrtsisagod

Australia's attempt to match New Zealand's NPC and South Africa's Currie Cup
1 June 2006

A new eight team national rugby competition will kickoff next year in Australia.

It will run from July to October and be made up of three teams from New South Wales, two from Queensland and one each from the ACT, Victoria and WA.

It is an Australia's attempt to match New Zealand's NPC and South Africa's Currie Cup - a way of bridging the gap between club rugby and the Super 14.

Meanwhile, Wallabies and Brumbies openside George Smith has upstaged Peter Hewitt and Stirling Mortlock to win the Australian Rebel Sport Super 14 player of the year crown.

Smith, who won by a massive seven votes, is understated about his success, saying he is pleased with his form and how he has improved by a player.

Waratahs prop Ben Robinson was named Rookie of the Year while Ewen McKenzie has claimed back-to-back coaching gongs.

nzcity.co.nz

Dam! You beat me too it!

I'm still gonna post my smh story on it though.

Three places for NSW in national comp

Ben Kimber, Greg Growden and AAP

NSW will field three teams in a new national tournament that may threaten the future of the Sydney club competition.

A three-day summit on the future of Australian rugby ended yesterday with the game's power-brokers declaring it a success after it endorsed the third-tier, eight-team competition for next year.

NSW will field three sides, Queensland two, and there will be one each from Canberra, Perth and Victoria. Each squad will have 28 players.

The composition of the three NSW sides is now in the hands of the NSWRU, but its chief executive, Fraser Neill, last night virtually ruled out a Sydney club standing alone in the new competition, as Randwick and Sydney University have sought to do.

"I don't see how you could have a club stand alone when only three are allocated," Neill said.

David Mortimer, president of the Sydney University club, said the funds would have been better spent on grassroots rugby. "The program as proposed will surely result in a significant loss and that's money that would be better spent on the grassroots," Mortimer said. "The fix was in. It was exactly as foreshadowed, and if they think they won't be held accountable for their decision they've got another thing coming.

"This is a serious blow for those clubs that don't have the horsepower to regroup and fight the battle, but I'd be surprised if some of the bigger clubs weren't ready to take it to the next level."

The third tier will push Sydney's clubs back into amateur status, becoming feeder clubs for the new entities. It could have a serious impact on the viability of the Tooheys New Cup.

The NSW Rugby Union had forgone the opportunity to have a fourth team to ensure the inclusion of Victoria.

The competition will cost $2.5 million to administer next year and is expected to run at a loss in its inaugural season - as a consequence it is believed the ARU will withdraw funding from current club competitions.

The ABC has expressed interest in telecasting all matches in the new competition.

The competition will run from July 28 until October 14. This playing window is based on:

The club season will no longer be broken into two competitions. Club rugby will run from March to July;

It will begin after the Super 14 and the Australia A program;

It will ensure the availability of Australian under-19 and under-21 players;

Each team will play 10 to 12 matches, with the top four teams contesting the finals.

ARU boss Gary Flowers said he was thrilled Australian rugby would have a third-tier competition like New Zealand and South Africa. "It's been something that Australian rugby has been looking at for well over a decade," he said.

"The biggest issue has always been getting an agreement from all our broad stakeholders, and I think it's great we've got an agreement. It's the next big thing in Australian rugby."

Meantime, Wallabies back-rower George Smith backed up his success in the Brumbies players' player award by last night winning the 2006 Australian Super 14 player of the year award.

Smith, who tallied 35 votes, finished seven ahead of Peter Hewat, Stirling Mortlock, David Croft and Scott Staniforth. NSW prop Benn Robinson was named Super 14 rookie of the year, while the Waratahs' Ewen McKenzie was the Super 14 coach of the year.

Smith's ACT teammate - prop Bill Young - will seek a second opinion on the extent of his neck injury. Young, who is not out of contention for a Test front-row spot, is eager to continue playing.

Wallabies centre Matt Giteau rates himself as having no chance of playing against England on June 11, as he is not yet able to run after having minor knee surgery.

Waratahs back-rower Stephen Hoiles has been forced out of NSW's match against New Zealand Maori at the SCG tomorrow night because of a knee injury.

The Australian under-21 team had an impressive 45-12 win over the NSW Academy at Victoria Barracks yesterday, with Josh Holmes, Digby Ioane and Tatafu Polota-Nau all prominent.[/b]

And it's about bloody time too! The Sydney and Brisbane club comps simply aren't played at anywhere near a high enough level for them to continually be receiving the amount of funding they do... this will save Aussie rugby and help it grow immensly.

The QLDers have wanted this for a long time.

Just wondering how they got the NSW people to come round.

And can't believe they all went ahead and made the decision decisively!

Originally posted by rugged@Jun 1 2006, 03:53 PM
The QLDers have wanted this for a long time.

Just wondering how they got the NSW people to come round.

And can't believe they all went ahead and made the decision decisively!
Yeah, me neither mate... I gotta confess I was checking the calender to see if it was April first when I saw the story!

Smart decision! I wonder how RL and AFL will react! I bet they aren`t happy with this RU competition!

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 1 2006, 08:30 PM
Smart decision! I wonder how RL and AFL will react! I bet they aren`t happy with this RU competition!
hmmm, yeah... Dunno if an 8 team 2.5 million dollar budget rugby comp will be able to compete with either the NRL or AFL to be honest, especially considering the S14 is struggling as it is to compete. But it will grow over time and it will provide Aussie rugby with that extra level of class competition that they've been lacking over the years.

Of course they won`t be able to compete at the beginning with AFL and NRL! What will happen, IMO, it will steal a percentage from the NRL and AFL spectators!

If they are smart and marketing tools will do their job, RU Comp in Aus may become a force to be reckon with in a short time! Remember Australia team before 80`s! Nothing, almost nothig, and in a few years they become a top team !

As in an Adidas commercial: Impossible is nothing :D

P.S: You, aussies, are not dedicated RL or AFL supporters! Few of you are! You are easy shifters from one sport to another which is not so bad ! From this point of view, IMO, you are very similar with yankees!

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 1 2006, 08:44 PM
Of course they won`t be able to compete at the beginning with AFL and NRL! What will happen, IMO, it will steal a percentage from the NRL and AFL spectators!

If they are smart and marketing tools will do their job, RU Comp in Aus may become a force to be reckon with in a short time! Remember Australia team before 80`s! Nothing, almost nothig, and in a few years they become a top team !

As in an Adidas commercial: Impossible is nothing :D

P.S: You, aussies, are not dedicated RL or AFL supporters! Few of you are! You are easy shifters from one sport to another which is not so bad ! From this point of view, IMO, you are very similar with yankees!
That's probably true to an extent... There are less dyed in the wool code fans than other countries here (though I'd argue melbourne is pretty hostile to anything non-AFL), but that's simply a reflection on the number of sports played here... I mean we have 4 major football codes, so of course interest will shift a bit. It's not like the majority of Europe or South America where they've only ever heard of soccer.

Yeah, true! Anyway, it was time for Australia to have a RU competition !

Do you know where i think this will have a major influence? I think young players will be more interested to choose Union !

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 1 2006, 09:45 PM

Do you know where i think this will have a major influence? I think young players will be more interested to choose Union !
It'll give players more options without a doubt, and we'll see less of them heading to Europe, and also help stem the flow of union juniors who sign with NRL clubs. Though the latter will still be a problem untill the comp gets a bit more money running through it.

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 1 2006, 10:45 AM

I agree, it will defenitely draw more talent and give you guys some more depth which can only result in comps like S14 and tri nations delivering a higher quality of rugby. Especially in the S14 , no more Cursaders viictories for a start!!

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 1 2006, 10:04 PM
Sanzar, don`t you have an RU competition currently in NSW?
There are a couple layers, but all well below the S14 in terms of quality... there are 2 competitions in Sydney: The first is for all the non S14 players and is called the Shute Sheild, then when the S14 finishes a new comp (with the same teams but with all their non wallaby S14 players) starts called the Toohey's New cup. However neither are adaquate preparation for S14 or International... Tim Donnelly is a great example of this in that he's a stand out in the Toohey's New cup, but very much insufficient at S14 level. Other than that their is a country comp called the Ranfury Sheild that has all the non core rugby provinces (all outside NSW and Qld) involved in a national comp with the country sides of NSW and Qld (usually no S14 level players), but it's incredibly amature and below even the sydney club comp in terms of quality.

About time!

It's a leg up for players to get to the Super 14, it's good for sports administrators, it's good for coaches, it's good for ref's, it's good for players, it's good for fans.

It's just good.

Originally posted by Dumbo@Jun 1 2006, 10:25 PM
About time!

It's a leg up for players to get to the Super 14, it's good for sports administrators, it's good for coaches, it's good for ref's, it's good for players, it's good for fans.

It's just good.
Exactly! And everyone in the coutry realises it's the best thing for the game in Australia since professionalism, it's only the self absorbed elbow patch brigade power players from the old Sydney Clubs like Randwick and Sydney Uni that have been holding it back... Dam shame too, they've effectively stunted the growth of Aussie Rugby because of it. But no more! and that's the important thing! I can't wait, I'll soon have another team to support.

Well there will be 3 NSW teams, so I'll be supporting the Sydney team (I'm assuming there will probably be a gosford team or something... not really sure what they'll do though). Can't wait to see what they do with it though!

Well, considering that perhaps the Sydney team will be a top one (i`m basing this on the money involvment), you`ll be supporting a top squad! How come don`t you even consider of supporting an outsider team :D (from NSW , of course)

Originally posted by Rassie@Jun 1 2006, 10:53 PM
Well, considering that perhaps the Sydney team will be a top one (i`m basing this on the money involvment), you`ll be supporting a top squad! How come don`t you even consider of supporting an outsider team :D (from NSW , of course)
I'll support the victorian team as a second team, because I want the game to grow there, but Sydney is where it's at for me... Won't ever support (truly support) non-Sydney or NSW (if it's provincial) teams.

Yeah, i see and totally agree! I thought perhaps you`ll make an excpetion on the `support your local team ` rule :D

Latest posts