• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian Refs

Uster101

Academy Player
Why do the Australian refs not understand the rules of rugby? The last 2 AB tests were controlled by Australians, and they seemed to be determined to make the ABs lose, they constantly penalised the AB's at the breakdown in both tests when it was the Australians and Pumas doing the illegal things. How come they penalised the ABs at the ruck when the ABs were on their feet, yet the Pumas and Australians were always leaving there feet and joining the rucks from the wrong angle yet the ABs were the only ones being penalised, yet the ABs were doing everything correct. Why was Scott Barrett yellow carded, yet the Puma player was not last night when the Puma Players actions were more deliberate than Barrett's. You can be sure if it was an AB last night and not the Puma infringing, that the AB would have been sin binned, yet the Puma player was not. The last 2 weeks, the refs have been absolute cheats, but what do you expect from Australian refs. The Warriors get it each week in the NRL. So I guess this is that we have to expect from Australian officials in the future. But to be honest the NZRU should get tough and ensure no Australian refs any future AB tests. It goes down in the history books that the ABs lost these 2 tests, but it will never give the reason why . The reason why the ABs lost was the refs!

Why do the Australian refs not understand the rules of rugby? The last 2 AB tests were controlled by Australians, and they seemed to be determined to make the ABs lose, they constantly penalised the AB's at the breakdown in both tests when it was the Australians and Pumas doing the illegal things. How come they penalised the ABs at the ruck when the ABs were on their feet, yet the Pumas and Australians were always leaving there feet and joining the rucks from the wrong angle yet the ABs were the only ones being penalised, yet the ABs were doing everything correct. Why was Scott Barrett yellow carded, yet the Puma player was not last night when the Puma Players actions were more deliberate than Barrett's. You can be sure if it was an AB last night and not the Puma infringing, that the AB would have been sin binned, yet the Puma player was not. The last 2 weeks, the refs have been absolute cheats, but what do you expect from Australian refs. The Warriors get it each week in the NRL. So I guess this is that we have to expect from Australian officials in the future. But to be honest the NZRU should get tough and ensure no Australian refs any future AB tests. It goes down in the history books that the ABs lost these 2 tests, but it will never give the reason why . The reason why the ABs lost was the refs!
Someone's salty.

Someone's salty.
not really - We lost - that does not bother me we lost - Just the fact the Aussie refs never refs according to the laws of the game, and the ABs in both games were in a no win situation because of the refs. A ref is suppose to be fair and ref the same for both teams and the last 2 weeks the Aussie refs were against the ABs the entire game. That to me is not fair and not how a ref is suppose to control a game.

The New Zealand refs have controlled the games fairly - so do they now do what the Aussie refs did to the ABs and constantly penalise the Aussie players? I hope they do as I would rather the Puma's win the championship than the Australians

well we do unfortunately have some uneducated people who post on these forums. The referees in the last two weeks have been the same for both sides. They've not "cheated the All Blacks" what a load of crap. Did the AB's lose to England in the WC because of the referee?. What nonsense. Most NZ fans accept the AB's were beaten by the better team, clearly you don't but that's your failing,

well we do unfortunately have some uneducated people who post on these forums. The referees in the last two weeks have been the same for both sides. They've not "cheated the All Blacks" what a load of crap. Did the AB's lose to England in the WC because of the referee?. What nonsense. Most NZ fans accept the AB's were beaten by the better team, clearly you don't but that's your failing,
I did not mention the England game - that game was refed fairly - so I have not mentioned that game - rugby has rules around the breakdown - and the Aussie refs have not followed these rules - I guess you have not watched these 2 games so do not reply to what I have said - the Aussie refs have been cheats

I did not mention the England game - that game was refed fairly - so I have not mentioned that game - rugby has rules around the breakdown - and the Aussie refs have not followed these rules - I guess you have not watched these 2 games so do not reply to what I have said - the Aussie refs have been cheats
I have watched these two games and the breakdown has been messy at times but it's been messy for both teams. To suggest the referees are cheats is ridiculous. there's been a lot of players from all 3 teams off their feet and coming in from the side. The All Blacks have been doing it a lot as have the Wallabies and Pumas. You said earlier that one of the Argentina players should have been sin-binned because he did something similar to what Barrett did last week. I agree with that but at the same time how many penalties did the AB's concede in their 22 in the first half, it was a lot. At the end of the day the All Blacks have lost the last two games because they've not been good enough, its got nothing to do with the officials.

I have watched these two games and the breakdown has been messy at times but it's been messy for both teams. To suggest the referees are cheats is ridiculous. there's been a lot of players from all 3 teams off their feet and coming in from the side. The All Blacks have been doing it a lot as have the Wallabies and Pumas. You said earlier that one of the Argentina players should have been sin-binned because he did something similar to what Barrett did last week. I agree with that but at the same time how many penalties did the AB's concede in their 22 in the first half, it was a lot. At the end of the day the All Blacks have lost the last two games because they've not been good enough, its got nothing to do with the officials.
So why were the refs only penalising the ABs? you have agreed all sides were doing it yet only the ABs were being penalised ! All we ask for is consistency yet the Auusie refs are not being consistent only penalising the ABs - and the Puma what he did was cynical and the ABs were in a great attacking position. would have been a yellow card if an Ab did that!

cry baby GIF

I didn't think any issues I had with the refs would have changed the results, Aussie took an opportunity in a disjointed game to grind out a win and the argies had a gameplan and executed it very well...and we didn't do either of those things

So why were the refs only penalising the ABs? you have agreed all sides were doing it yet only the ABs were being penalised ! All we ask for is consistency yet the Auusie refs are not being consistent only penalising the ABs - and the Puma what he did was cynical and the ABs were in a great attacking position. would have been a yellow card if an Ab did that!I
i have looked at the stats and Argentina gave away 16 penalties to 13 from NZ. So that assertion that the referee was only penalising NZ is wide of the mark. The Argentinean player could have gone to the bin for a deliberate knock-on but sometimes they're given, other times they're not. the bottom line is had Nigel Owens refereed that game the AB's would have lost it because they didn't play well enough. The referee didn't affect the result.

I actually didn't understand that penalty against the Puma. He was legally bound so he wasn't offside. Ball was out so he's allowed to play it. I guess you can't knock the ball out of a players hands? seems kinda absurd but eh. The difference for me is that i reckon the Puma thought he could legally play the ball meaning it wasn't particularly cynical.

Scott Barrett was off his feet and offside. Every donkey to ever take to a rugby field knows you can't play the ball when you are off your feet.

So why were the refs only penalising the ABs? you have agreed all sides were doing it yet only the ABs were being penalised ! All we ask for is consistency yet the Auusie refs are not being consistent only penalising the ABs - and the Puma what he did was cynical and the ABs were in a great attacking position. would have been a yellow card if an Ab did that!

1605453078807.png
Teal is NZ, Dark is Arg.

Source: https://super.rugby/therugbychampionship/match-centre/?season=2021&competition=366&match=2946

Facts > opinions.

I actually didn't understand that penalty against the Puma. He was legally bound so he wasn't offside. Ball was out so he's allowed to play it. I guess you can't knock the ball out of a players hands? seems kinda absurd but eh. The difference for me is that i reckon the Puma thought he could legally play the ball meaning it wasn't particularly cynical.

Scott Barrett was off his feet and offside. Every donkey to ever take to a rugby field knows you can't play the ball when you are off your feet.
He was part of the ruck, as I understand it. And if you are part of the ruck you can't slap the ball out of the player's hand.

But that's a 50/50 call. I've seen refs blow that up, and I've seen refs allowing it play on.

I don't think there was any faults with Gardiner's interpretation.

I would have though as soon as the ball was played by the halfback the Maul...can't be a maul without the ball..is over so as along as he wasn't in an offside position before, and I don't think he was, he's free to play it

I can only imagine it was knocking the ball down but I think that's harsh

I would have though as soon as the ball was played by the halfback the Maul...can't be a maul without the ball..is over so as along as he wasn't in an offside position before, and I don't think he was, he's free to play it

I can only imagine it was knocking the ball down but I think that's harsh
Well, Gardner did say it was for "slapping the ball down" and not for offside.

Unless there was amendments made to the laws on this, as it doesn't happen as much as it did 2 or so years ago. I remember Faf De Klerk was on of the guys who often went for the slap down.

Well, Gardner did say it was for "slapping the ball down" and not for offside.

Unless there was amendments made to the laws on this, as it doesn't happen as much as it did 2 or so years ago. I remember Faf De Klerk was on of the guys who often went for the slap down.
Ok, I was just adding to your point about the player being in the ruck, I assumed you meant maul

Last edited:
On the subject of Aussie refs maybe we should be grateful we don't religiously follow league. Anyone see the total shambles at the end of Origin today?. Apparently in RL you can tackle someone high around the neck when they're the only one who's going to get to the ball and all you get is a sin-bin. absolute disgrace. Makes union refs look amazing in comparison.

Latest posts