• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australian team to play France

F

Fushitsusha

Unchanged... *yawn*

Team: Cameron Shepherd, Peter Hynes, Stirling Mortlock (capt), Berrick Barnes, Lote Tuqiri, Matt Giteau, Luke Burgess, Wycliff Palu, George Smith, Rocky Elsom, Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill, Matt Dunning, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson. Reserves: Adam Freier, Al Baxter, Dean Mumm, Phil Waugh, Sam Cordingley, Ryan Cross, Adam Ashley-Cooper.

I would love to see some of the guys in Australia A pushing for selection. The forward pack still doesn't impress me.

Didn't get to see the game against Tonga, against Samoa Australia A were pretty ordinary, though the conditions would not have made it easy. Nonetheless, it would be good to see some changes in the front-three, it's not like some tinkering would make it any worse. I'd rather see Polota-Nau in the starting line up than Moore, I have no idea how long he's out for though.

Either way, can see where Deans is coming from I guess. The team hasn't had a lot of time to gel, better to experiment when you have a starting platform.

Here is to hoping that the loose forwards commit to a breakdown for once, or we can look forward to another game where the visiting team dominates possession and disrupts ball distribution to the backs.

Aust A were brilliant against Tonga. They absolutely tore them apart but the defense was so loose it makes it hard to say how performances would translate against better sides. Stand outs were Hoiles, Ioane and Tahu. All three tore the opposition to shreds. The commentator referred to Ioane and Tahu repeatedly as undefensible which I'm pretty sure isn't a word but pretty accurately sums up how they played

Yeah I heard Australia A put out a good performance, but Tonga are in a bit of a slump, like you said it's hard to make a qualified judgement.

Either way, Australia A is pretty competitive at the moment, a hell of a lot more than it was last year. I guess as a lot of the S14 teams have started to blood new players (i.e Brumbies back line) we've started to develop at least some depth.

I really do think that this year the depth of the Australian team is a lot more exciting.

The Wallabies have been in decline thanks to the like of Eddie Jones and John Connolly. I really hope this is just a transitional year for the team and we'll see a completely new team next year.

Personally, I'm glad to see Rocky Elsom **** off overseas. He's great in the Super 14 but has never really been that great for Australia. There really hasn't been enough pressure on a number of players in the test team lately and I hope that changes. Also, if Sharpe and Palu don't do anything this week I hope they get dumped.

We already know about the front row. Hopefully Alexander and Kepo are fast tracked into the test team. If there's any hope for the future. Plus, there's also Greg Holmes who has yet to come back from injury. And I'd still prefer Shepherdson to the hopeless Baxter and Dunning. I'm sick about hearing that they're the best we've got. That's complete rubbish.

I really do think that this year the depth of the Australian team is a lot more exciting.

The Wallabies have been in decline thanks to the like of Eddie Jones and John Connolly. I really hope this is just a transitional year for the team and we'll see a completely new team next year.

Personally, I'm glad to see Rocky Elsom **** off overseas. He's great in the Super 14 but has never really been that great for Australia. There really hasn't been enough pressure on a number of players in the test team lately and I hope that changes. Also, if Sharpe and Palu don't do anything this week I hope they get dumped.

We already know about the front row. Hopefully Alexander and Kepo are fast tracked into the test team. If there's any hope for the future. Plus, there's also Greg Holmes who has yet to come back from injury. And I'd still prefer Shepherdson to the hopeless Baxter and Dunning. I'm sick about hearing that they're the best we've got. That's complete rubbish. [/b]

Has Rocky Elsom definately signed a deal to leave and join Leinster? Are you maybe a jealous Brumbie man seeing as the Brumbies finished second last for the Aussie teams in the Super14 and the Waratahs dominate the Wallabies team? Who would you have to replace the likes of Elsom, Sharpe and Palu?

In fairness Sharpe hasn't been playing the best rugby but yet he has so much experience to give to the younger players. I am a fan of Mark Chisholm and would like to see him in the Wallabies 22 as he can play in the backrow and in the secondrow. Stephen Hoiles is a class act but needs to bulk up if he wants to play long term at Number 8 for Australia. Richard Brown is too inexperienced to play for Australia, give him a year or two and he will be ready. So where do these other players come from to fill the holes of the players you want dropped?

<div class='quotemain'> I really do think that this year the depth of the Australian team is a lot more exciting.

We already know about the front row. Hopefully Alexander and Kepo are fast tracked into the test team. If there's any hope for the future. Plus, there's also Greg Holmes who has yet to come back from injury. And I'd still prefer Shepherdson to the hopeless Baxter and Dunning. I'm sick about hearing that they're the best we've got. That's complete rubbish. [/b]

Has Rocky Elsom definately signed a deal to leave and join Leinster? Are you maybe a jealous Brumbie man seeing as the Brumbies finished second last for the Aussie teams in the Super14 and the Waratahs dominate the Wallabies team? Who would you have to replace the likes of Elsom, Sharpe and Palu?

In fairness Sharpe hasn't been playing the best rugby but yet he has so much experience to give to the younger players. I am a fan of Mark Chisholm and would like to see him in the Wallabies 22 as he can play in the backrow and in the secondrow. Stephen Hoiles is a class act but needs to bulk up if he wants to play long term at Number 8 for Australia. Richard Brown is too inexperienced to play for Australia, give him a year or two and he will be ready. So where do these other players come from to fill the holes of the players you want dropped?
[/b][/quote]

Jealous? Ha... no... definately not... the only other Brumbies player I'd have selected in the 22 would probably ge Shepherdson for Baxter... that's it really...

But the problem in the Wallabies is that there isn't any pressure on certain players to perform at their best, and the guys I've mentioned really don't do it at an international level because of that. Although, Sharpe has his moments - he's still great in the lineout but an absolute twat all around the field, and doesn't put any push into the scrum.

Palu has probably played his best rugby ever this year for the Tahs, but has been considerably average for the Wallabies in recent years. And unfortunately with Connolly in charge - Hoiles, Roe and Tawake were all overlooked for him last year despite all three of those guys putting in far better performances in the Super 14. And I don't really buy the rhetoric about Hoiles' weight. Players should get selected on their abilities. Especially when a guy like Palu goes into his shell and becomes completely soft. Anyways, I'd like to see Palu become a wrecking ball of sorts, but if he doesn't - he should be axed.

Mumm has been playing well this year and I think he could be a replacement for Elsom. McMeniman is also coming back from injury and if he can actually stay uninured he could be a viable replacement. Williams could also tinker with the backrow and in the future we might see guys like Brown or Hoiles playing no. 8 or as a flanker.

If Australia has any chance at the next World Cup Dunning and Baxter will have to be long gone. Everybody knows that, but I'm not sure with Foley still around if that'll happen.

It'll be interesting to see how Aus A go against Fiji this week. I would prefer to see healthy competition for positions in the team. It's the only way Australia can get better.

Have you guys really not got a better tighthead than <strike>Fatt</strike> Matt Dunning? I thought Adam Jones was a shaming player, but Dunning is just in a different league of shaming... :blink:
And is Drew Mitchell injured? Normally he'd be starting or pushing for a place, I'd think.

Here's the French team, anyway:

France: Pepito Elhorga, Alexis Palissson, Francois Trinh-Duc, Damien Traille, Benjamin Thiery, Benjamin Boyet, Dimitri Yachvili, Louis Picamoles, Fulgence Ouedraogo, Imanol Harinordoquy, Lionel Nallet (captain), Sebastien Chabal, Benoit Lecouls, Sebastien Bruno, Lionel Faure. Reserves: Benjamin Kayser, Renaud Boyoud, David Couzinet, Matthieu Lievremont, Sebastien Tillous-Bordes, Thubault Lacroix, David Janin.

I don't know half of, nay, three quarters of those players. :blink: Australia should win by 10 - 20 points, mind you they'll suffer a good few injuries via CHABAL!

Have you guys really not got a better tighthead than <strike>Fatt</strike> Matt Dunning? I thought Adam Jones was a shaming player, but Dunning is just in a different league of shaming... :blink:
And is Drew Mitchell injured? Normally he'd be starting or pushing for a place, I'd think.

Here's the French team, anyway:

France: Pepito Elhorga, Alexis Palissson, Francois Trinh-Duc, Damien Traille, Benjamin Thiery, Benjamin Boyet, Dimitri Yachvili, Louis Picamoles, Fulgence Ouedraogo, Imanol Harinordoquy, Lionel Nallet (captain), Sebastien Chabal, Benoit Lecouls, Sebastien Bruno, Lionel Faure. Reserves: Benjamin Kayser, Renaud Boyoud, David Couzinet, Matthieu Lievremont, Sebastien Tillous-Bordes, Thubault Lacroix, David Janin.

I don't know half of, nay, three quarters of those players. :blink: Australia should win by 10 - 20 points, mind you they'll suffer a good few injuries via CHABAL!
[/b]

Drew Mitchell wasn't originally selected in the squad due to injury but he'll be playing fullback for Australia A this weekend against Fiji...

Oh, and FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

Matt Dunning has been ruled out of the French test due to injury... hooorah!

Unfortunately that does mean that Al Baxter will start, and he's worse than Dunning... however, Ben Alexander has been promoted to the bench...

I wouldn't normally be so happy about someone being injured, but this is surely an act of God...

Drew Mitchell wasn't originally selected in the squad due to injury but he'll be playing fullback for Australia A this weekend against Fiji...
[/b]
<_< Makes sense... :zzz:

Matt Dunning injured? [Insert, "he got injured cuz he's FAT", joke here].

<div class='quotemain'>
I don't think a Dunning injury should be too much of a concern for the Aussies.[/b]
Pride of Canada ;)
[/b][/quote]

Not really sure what your getting at, I'm just saying that he can be replaced, he's not exactly a cornerstone of the team.

Not really sure what your getting at, I'm just saying that he can be replaced, he's not exactly a cornerstone of the team.[/b]
We wish he could be replaced but not so much, that's how bad how propping stocks are.

<div class='quotemain'>
Not really sure what your getting at, I'm just saying that he can be replaced, he's not exactly a cornerstone of the team.[/b]
We wish he could be replaced but not so much, that's how bad how propping stocks are.
[/b][/quote]

He can be replaced... there are better looseheads and tightheads in the country...

the under 20's props looked good in the under 20 world champs

so did ratu cantpronouncehissurname

give them a few years and we will have the shiny stuff back in our cabinet

the under 20's props looked good in the under 20 world champs

give them a few years and we will have the shiny stuff back in our cabinet [/b]

Nasiganiyavi. Will be as good as Rupeni Caucau, unfortunately he's just as lazy. Hopefully the Australian system will ensure he won't slip away into obscurity like the cringingly short lived Fijian winger.

<div class='quotemain'> the under 20's props looked good in the under 20 world champs

give them a few years and we will have the shiny stuff back in our cabinet [/b]

Nasiganiyavi. Will be as good as Rupeni Caucau, unfortunately he's just as lazy. Hopefully the Australian system will ensure he won't slip away into obscurity like the cringingly short lived Fijian winger.
[/b][/quote]

i know it's a big call but he resembles jonah lomu, doesn't have the skill of lomu....yet

most of the other aussie blokes in the under 20 championship are already playing s14. q.cooper w.genia etc. why haven't i seen this guy yet?

and i still can't pronounce his surname

He can be replaced... there are better looseheads and tightheads in the country...[/b]
Nothing of any decent enough standard, even if we changed our props I doubt we would stave off getting crushed by England....

Latest posts