TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_51866150_lockyer3.jpg

Australia and Brisbane Broncos captain Darren Lockyer has announced he will retire from playing at the end of the season.

Lockyer, who turned 34 last week, has played 336 NRL games, 33 State of Origin games and a record 54 Test matches for Australia over 17 seasons.

He has also played in four NRL Grand Final-winning sides with the Broncos.

"I'm still enjoying playing and excited about the Broncos for the rest of 2011," said Lockyer.

"It will be hard to leave my team-mates at the Broncos but I know the timing is right.

"I've had a wonderful career as a rugby league player and I just feel it's time to move on to the next chapter."

Lockyer says he will be available for all representative games in 2011 including the Four Nations tournament in England and Wales in October and November.

Since making his debut in 1995 he has become one of the leading figures in the game.

In 2006, he led Queensland to State of Origin series victory, the Broncos to NRL success and Australia to victory in the Four Nations.

Last year he became Australia's leading all-time try scorer with when he scored a record 34th try in last year's Four Nations against Papua New Guinea.

Broncos chief executive Paul White said Lockyer's retirement was an historic occasion for the club.

"We appreciate the integrity that Darren has shown and the way he has decided to make this announcement now, which will allow our fans to celebrate his achievement for the rest of the season," White said.

"I think it is fair to say that we will never have another player like Darren Lockyer.

"He has driven success here at the Broncos, has been a tremendous achiever at both club and representative level, and has been the epitome of professionalism for not only our club, but our game.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/9438269.stm

One of the greatest Rugby League players of all time, will be a shame to see such a great player to go.

Congratulations on an absolute stellar career.

He is without doubt one of THE best players to ever lace on a boot and he's still playing to that standard.

I'll definitely be flying up to see him in his final home game ever.

Thank you mate, you've made my day each time I've watched you on song for Australia, Queensland and Brisbane.

Latest posts