Versus%20Prem.png
Exeter.png

Live on BT Sport
Newcastle.png
Versus%20Prem.png
Saracens.png

Live on BT Sport

Sale Sharks:
15. Mike Haley, 14. Nev Edwards, 13. Sam James, 12. Sam Tuitupou, 11. Will Addison 10. Danny Cipriani, 9. Peter Stringer, 1. Ross Harrison, 2. Tommy Taylor, 3. Vadim Cobilas, 4. Bryn Evans, 5. Jonathan Mills, 6. Dan Braid (capt.), 7. TJ Ioane, 8. Josh Beaumont
Replacements: 16. Neil Briggs, 17. Eifion Lewis Roberts, 18. Brian Mujati, 19. Andrei Ostrikov, 20. David Seymour, 21. Chris Cusiter, 22. Joe Ford, 23. Mark Jennings.

Gloucester Rugby:
15 Rob Cook; 14 Charlie Sharples, 13 Bill Meakes, 12 BillyTwelvetrees (capt), 11 Jonny May; 10 James Hook, 9 Willi Heinz; 1 Paddy McAllister, 2 Richard Hibbard, 3 John Afoa; 4 Tom Savage, 5 Jeremy Thrush; 6 Ross Moriarty, 7 Matt Kvesic, 8 Sione Kalamafoni
Replacements:
16 Darren Dawidiuk, 17 Nick Wood, 18 Nicky Thomas, 19 Mariano Galarza, 20 Jacob Rowan, 21 Greig Laidlaw, 22 Henry Trinder, 23 Henry Purdy

Loving that it's currently fashionable to have Wasps games on tv - works for me.
We're sitting fairly handsome in the table because we technically won an away fixture. Everyone knows it wasn't really an away game but who cares. But going forward we should be beating everyone in the league at home - barring a possible slip-up against Saracens - and winning a number away too. Chiefs at home is a good fixture for fans and neutrals but we really should be winning at home. I think Exeter will present a good comparison for how we look as a unit - as they're somewhat of a benchmark in that regard.

Had a bit of a post-World Cup slump rugby-wise, haven't been as on it as I normally would at the start of the season, combined with moving house and switching my Sky over I've hardly watched any Prem. Finally got back into it for Leicester last week and ... bugger.

Big week for us. Last week, along with highlights and reports about our other games worry me a bit. We're becoming that Fancy Dan team who look gorgeous and can't produce winning rugby when it matters, it's happening over adn over again. I'm not that upset to lose away to Leicester, of course we can't expect to win that fixture - but if we'd played smarter, if we'd played like a champion team, we would have won. Against Northampton we need to step up, we need to compete with the best and beat them playing clever rugby, we need to control territory and control the game. Unfortunately, I don't see us doing it. I can see us winning the game by playing like Bath but I would be much happier to see us winning it playing like Leicester or Sarries (even if it would be less fun to watch) and that I can't see happening. After the improvement of the last couple of seasons and the development of a style which at it's best can terrify opponents, the next stage of development for us as a club is knowing how to win ugly, and under pressure. Looking at the Prem table, there's only three teams who I would say we would expect to beat playing away in rain and wind - and I'm possibly only including Falcons because of their pitch. That's not enough.

People are learning how to close down the Bath game, put lots of pressure on the SH and FH and also don't commit to the dummy runners and the ball behind suddenly becomes a liability for us as we have a few players offside and the others being caught behind the gainline. We are still trying the diamond thing without the front line presenting a credible threat.

Leicester Tigers: 15 Telusa Veainu, 14 Adam Thompstone, 13 Peter Betham, 12 Seremaia Bai, 11 Vereniki Goneva, 10 Owen Williams, 9 Sam Harrison, 1 Matias Aguero, 2 Greg Bateman, 3 Dan Cole, 4 Ed Slater (c), 5 Graham Kitchener, 6 Mike Williams, 7 Tom Croft, 8 Jordan Crane.

Replacements: 16 Tom Youngs, 17 Marcos Ayerza, 18 Fraser Balmain, 19 Dom Barrow, 20 Lachlan McCaffrey, 21 Jono Kitto, 22 Tommy Bell, 23 Matt Smith.

Good news : Goneva and O.Williams are back.

People are learning how to close down the Bath game, put lots of pressure on the SH and FH and also don't commit to the dummy runners and the ball behind suddenly becomes a liability for us as we have a few players offside and the others being caught behind the gainline. We are still trying the diamond thing without the front line presenting a credible threat.

Plus we are making too many mistakes...

JJ back this week
15 Anthony Watson
14 Semesa Rokoduguni
13 Jonathan Joseph
12 Ollie Devoto
11 Matt Banahan
10 George Ford
9 Chris Cook
1 Nick Auterac
2 Rob Webber
3 Henry Thomas
4 Dave Attwood
5 Tom Ellis
6 Matt Garvey
7 Francois Louw (c)
8 Leroy Houston

Replacements

16 Ross Batty
17 Max Lahiff
18 Dave Wilson
19 David Denton
20 Guy Mercer
21 Niko Matawalu
22 Rhys Priestland
23 Tom Homer

- - - Updated - - -

Looks far better team than we cooked up last week on paper at least.

Saracens team to face Newcastle Falcons

15 Alex Goode (190)
14 Mike Ellery (10)
13 Nick Tompkins (23)
12 Duncan Taylor (74)
11 Chris Wyles (185)
10 Charlie Hodgson (74)
9 Ben Spencer (60)
1 Richard Barrington (60)
2 Jamie George © (136)
3 Juan Figallo (18)
4 Maro Itoje (35)
5 George Kruis (109)
6 Jackson Wray (120)
7 Will Fraser (63)
8 Samuela Vunisa (1)

Replacements

16 Jared Saunders (23)
17 Mako Vunipola (83)
18 Petrus Du Plessis (107)
19 Michael Rhodes (5)
20 Billy Vunipola (45)
21 Neil De Kock (239)
22 Tim Streather (25)
23 Ben Ransom (51)

Bath vs Saints; BTSports 1
Sat; 3.15

Ref:Maxwell-keys
TJs: Roger Baileff & Robin Goodliffe
TMO: Graham Hughes

Bath:
15 Anthony Watson
14 Semesa Rokoduguni
13 Jonathan Joseph
12 Ollie Devoto
11 Matt Banahan
10 George Ford
09 Chris Cook

1 Nick Auterac
2 Rob Webber
3 Henry Thomas
4 Dave Attwood
5 Tom Ellis
6 Matt Garvey
7 Francois Louw (c)
8 Leroy Houston

Ross Batty; Max Lahiff; Dave Wilson; David Denton; Guy Mercer
Niko Matawalu; Rhys Priestland; Tom Homer

Saints:
15 Ben Foden (c)
14 Jamie Elliott
13 George Pisi
12 Luther Burrell
11 George North
10 JJ Hanrahan
09 Kahn Fotuali'i

1 Ethan Waller
2 Mikey Haywood
3 Kieran Brookes
4 Michael Paterson
5 Christian Day
6 Jamie Gibson
7 Teimana Harrison
8 Sam Dickinson

Reece Marshall; Alex Waller; Paul Hill; Victor Matfield; James Craig
Lee Dickson; Stephen Myler; Ken Pisi

Weather Forecast:
Overcast
12* C
50% chance of rain
25kph SW

Very happy to see Harrison starting - I really like his style... an absolute dog of a flanker.

Equally dissapointed to not see Will Spencer getting into the Bath squad - quite concerning actually, either he's still injured or Ellis has straight up overtaken him.

Nice, JJ is back. He got one of those Starship Troopers healing baths or something? :)

Equally dissapointed to not see Will Spencer getting into the Bath squad - quite concerning actually, either he's still injured or Ellis has straight up overtaken him.

Spencer didn't even make the West Country Cup did he? Don't think he's in the EPRC squad.
Surely he's still injured; hope he doesn't end up retiring before he's even started Ala Hobson

Gah, just read through the reports n such, sounds like another game we could've won but didn't. Turned down 9 points from the tee, or something, and then arsed up the final lineout too.

I know I should be happy with a LBP away from home, as we've always struggled to get them, but this is the third game we should've won (Quins and Newcastle) but lacked the composure/top 2 inches.

Wouldn't say that Sale should have won. It was a fairly evenly matched game tbh. Although I can definitely appreciate the frustration of being on the losing side of several close games! (Especially after that season where Glos ended 5th but 8/9 of their losses were by less than 7. <_<)

On Gloucester player watch, the only player doing enough for an England spot atm is Kvesic. Morgan will be lucky to get back into the Glos XV and May isn't doing badly, but just isn't getting the kind of service that will help him catch the eye. Kvesic is still fantastic week-to-week though.

Thankfully our foreign internationals are playing much better. Kalamafoni, Thrush, Laidlaw, Moriarty, Afoa all playing well for us.

Last edited:

Latest posts