• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Aviva Premiership] Who will lift the trophy at Twickenham in 2012?

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
The question is simple. Who will win the Aviva Premiership? Who will win the trophy? Here is a tough call to make.

Enjoy the betting and discussing this.

2010:
Aviva-Premiership-Launch.jpg

2011:
attachment.php

2012:
?????​

Bath? Very brave bet...

This year's Prem will be very interesting. At full strength you would have said there are 3 teams who are clearly head and shoulders above the rest - Saracens, Leicester and Northampton. However, half of Leicester's population's been at the World Cup while Northampton have no depth to cover their RWC losses, which means both of those clubs have had shocking starts to the seasons. Sarries have been less affected and will be delighted with 5 from 6 so far - out of these 3, Saracens have to be favourites. The other two have a lot of work to do, but a two week break for the Pointless Cup should help them reintegrate their returning world cup players.

From the rest, Sale, Irish and especially Harlequins will be delighted with their starts to the season. Sale are a bit of a maverick club - I'm not sure they'll be able to sustain their position and form once the 'stronger' squads hit their straps - they fall in the same group as Wasps for me. Irish and Quins, however, do have the potential, and Quins in particular have their form of the Richards era to back it up with. Bath and Gloucester are also strong teams who could threaten with a real run of form.

So, from this I'd say the only certainties for the playoffs are Saracens.

The remaining places will be made up, probably, by any three out of Quins, Leicester, Northampton, Bath, Gloucester or Irish. My money's on the bolded.

Whoever wins the ***le only has to really turn up the heat in the playoffs. Based on form, squad class, squad depth, experience and personal bias, I'm gonna go for Saracens to make it back to back ***les. But since rugby is never that simple, it'll probably be someone else.

I recon Northampton. If Mallinder gives Lamb a decent bit of gametime and manages to rotate his squad properly they should be a very powerful force. They've definitely got the pack to do the job, and if their new signings in the back find form (Lamb, Pisi, Cato) then they'll be very difficult to stop as they'll have the backline to finish off their packs work.

I reckon Quins will be top 4

It'll be (not in order):
Tigers
Quins
Sarries
A.N Other

Probably one of Saints, Gloucester or Bath, though Saints could well have another slump during the 6N which would put them out of the running

I wouldn't rule out Wasps though, when they click they look superb, they just need to click more often - Nicky Robinson avoiding any more injuries is key to this

Last edited:
The Bath bet isn't me guv honest. GG, I think you are right Sarries are the most likely to get it this year. Leicester will have to put in the performance of the decade to get to the top two in order to get a home play off (/guaranteed final place).

Sarries and Quins top two, Tigers 3rd and Bath fourth ( me biased?) depending on whether we cut out the stupid mistakes and penalties (had Abendanon not had a shocker vs Wasps that would have been winnable and had Hipkiss not been a numpty at the breakdown vs Sarries we'd have won that) otherwise it'll be Saints or Glaws... not sold on Irish yet.

m0rris

Last edited:
I agree, I don't rate LI and don't see them bothering the top 4.

Sarries is where I'd reluctantly put my money if I had to. I feel far happier about saying who's going down...

Also, I wouldn't be completely surprised if Sale do carry this on. They've actually got a hell of a lot of absentees at the moment, this is testing their squad depth. Which is clearly something.

Quins, by contrast, are swanning around playing basically their first team. Over the course of a season, I think they might wilt.

Northampton will be fine if Lee Dickson can stay fit. Also, if they keep Mallinder...

Northampton always have a big dip in form around the time of the Six Nations, so will have to work hard to get into the top 4, but they should have enough class to do it.

Based on current form against both Quins & Saints, I'd say Tigers are a shoo-in to lift the trophy!

interesting looking back on what I predicted in October and how I completely ignored Exeter, and how I thought Irish might be a decent team!

On current form, I'd have to say its looking like a Quins vs Exeter and Tigers vs Saracens playoff.

In that eventuality, I'd reckon Quins are too classy for Exeter, although if it's Saints instead then it could get interesting, because they can beat anyone if they click.

Saracens are the one team who won't really care about being home or away, because their away form is so good. That said, Tigers are hitting the straps and Sarries are not, and I don't see anyone beating Tigers at Welford Road at the moment.

So I'll say Quins vs Tigers final. Which I think Tigers will be too strong to lose, unless Quins plug the penalty leak they've developed.

Latest posts