• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Stadium

M

MunsterMan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Hibernian Aviva, Ireland's largest insurance company, has secured the naming rights to what will now be called Aviva Stadium in what is one of the most significant sponsorships in Irish history.

The deal sees Hibernian Aviva take on the naming rights of the redeveloped Lansdowne Road for a ten-year period and provide investment support to the IRFU and FAI for their grassroots programmes.

Details of the sponsorship were unveiled today (Thursday) at a function in Dublin.[/b]

http://www.irishrugby.ie/283_16053.php?PHP...cfef71ac2c67938

They can f*** right off, nobody in their right mind should call it the aviva stadium.

Is nothing sacred anymore. I love Lansdown road. Why do they f*** with such things( pls dont answer that -I do know)

meh its not really a big deal. no one will call it aviva stadium and its a nice pay day for the FAI and IRFU in tough times. i have no complaints

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 12 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is nothing sacred anymore. I love Lansdown road. Why do they f*** with such things( pls dont answer that -I do know)[/b]

well Thomond Park is, they tried to sell the naming rights to that but no one was interested cause they feared the backlash if they did buy it. The IRFU/FAI are a bunch of sellouts.

As with Thomond Park, there's too much history attached to Lansdowne Road for it to be given a corporate name which is why it's so disappointing to see it sold off. Needs must though so I understand the IRFU/FAI's decision to sell out.

Despite what I said above, selling the name of a stadium isn't the biggest deal in my eyes. I'd much prefer to play in a corporately named stadium than see a sponsors logo emblazoned across a national team jersey but that's another issue entirely.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 12 2009, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As with Thomond Park, there's too much history attached to Lansdowne Road for it to be given a corporate name which is why it's so disappointing to see it sold off. Needs must though so I understand the IRFU/FAI's decision to sell out.

Despite what I said above, selling the name of a stadium isn't the biggest deal in my eyes. I'd much prefer to play in a corporately named stadium than see a sponsors logo emblazoned across a national team jersey but that's another issue entirely.[/b]

well it's only Australia who are utter sellouts. Qantas Wallabies, what utter nonsense, don't know if that's still the case. Anyway I'd much rather see o2 plastered all over the jerseys than selling off naming rights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well it's only Australia who are utter sellouts. Qantas Wallabies, what utter nonsense, don't know if that's still the case. Anyway I'd much rather see o2 plastered all over the jerseys than selling off naming rights.[/b]
We'll agree to differ in that regard. I think there's something classy about the France and New Zealand jerseys due to there being no sponsor present - almost like they're not whoring out their country to the highest bidder. The same is true for Barcelona (who've only recently begun promoting UNICEF) and Athletic Bilbao.

If it came to putting a sponsor on your shirt or attaching a sponsors name to a stadium, I'd vote for the latter every time. The point is moot though since I fully expect Ireland to continue sporting the O2 logo - once we don't become like the Quantas Wallabies (how about the O2 Shamrocks?) I'm not going to complain too much!

It really ****** me off that Kings Park and Ellis Park in South Africa have sold out their names too!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 12 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is nothing sacred anymore. I love Lansdown road. Why do they f*** with such things( pls dont answer that -I do know)[/b]

well Thomond Park is, they tried to sell the naming rights to that but no one was interested cause they feared the backlash if they did buy it. The IRFU/FAI are a bunch of sellouts.
[/b][/quote]

Sorry guys, I'll put my hands up right now and say that it was me who tried to link up Munster with Pukka Pies.

Seriously though, imagine Sky TV saying "And now we go to Ireland where Munster take on Wasps in the Heineken Cup at the PUKKA PIES STADIUM!"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 13 2009, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 12 2009, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 12 2009, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Sorry guys, I'll put my hands up right now and say that it was me who tried to link up Munster with Pukka Pies.

Seriously though, imagine Sky TV saying "And now we go to Ireland where Munster take on Wasps in the Heineken Cup at the PUKKA PIES STADIUM!"
[/b][/quote]

well they'd find it a damn site easier than they do with their efforts at Thomond Park :p

One question in a quirk that I find pretty interesting is why didn't the Royal Dublin Society drop the "Royal" in its name post independence? I'm sure nobody is bothered about it now so its more of a passing historical interest more than anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 13 2009, 09:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One question in a quirk that I find pretty interesting is why didn't the Royal Dublin Society drop the "Royal" in its name post independence? I'm sure nobody is bothered about it now so its more of a passing historical interest more than anything.[/b]

I would assume nobody pays any attention to it cause nobody ever uses the elongated version, it's only on Sky that I ever hear them call it the Royal Dublin Showgrounds. We've still got the Royal College of Surgeons, the Royal Canal, we're not that petty to get rid of everything from our past, obviously some things had to change but not everything.

On the naming rights. I think its a matter of 44 million reasons (over 10 years). In times like these, thats damn good money, and the stadium wont pay for itself.

As for the "Royal" stuff. No idea actually, but again, whats in a name? Its always been the RDS to me, never really linked that to the "Royal Dublin Society". I would assume though that not all Irish people wanted independence. There would have been a significant number of "West Brits" hanging around in Dublin yearning to return to the Empire. The kind of people that form "Societies" and walk "Canals". The Royal Dublin Society would have had links with other Royal Societies from around the world. Changing the name would have removed those links.

Lots of reasons to retain the name, one fairly unimportant political one to remove it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 13 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
On the naming rights. I think its a matter of 44 million reasons (over 10 years). In times like these, thats damn good money, and the stadium wont pay for itself.

As for the "Royal" stuff. No idea actually, but again, whats in a name? Its always been the RDS to me, never really linked that to the "Royal Dublin Society". I would assume though that not all Irish people wanted independence. There would have been a significant number of "West Brits" hanging around in Dublin yearning to return to the Empire. The kind of people that form "Societies" and walk "Canals". The Royal Dublin Society would have had links with other Royal Societies from around the world. Changing the name would have removed those links.

Lots of reasons to retain the name, one fairly unimportant political one to remove it.[/b]

it actually existed before it even got it's royal charter, don't think it was necessarily the preserve of West Brits.

Yeah and one more correction for Sky, it's the Royal Dublin Society, if you're going to elongate it, not the Royal Dublin Showgrounds, the ground itself is officially the RDS Arena.

Thats pretty interesting, I take it by "West Brits" you mean settled English or Scots over in Ireland?

Did it just drop its Royal Charter and keep the Royal in its name or what then? Whats the deal with that as there is a big (and pretty pointless debate) amongst Republicans over here about what to do with the that awkward work "Royal" in a the scenario of a Republic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 13 2009, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thats pretty interesting, I take it by "West Brits" you mean settled English or Scots over in Ireland?

Did it just drop its Royal Charter and keep the Royal in its name or what then? Whats the deal with that as there is a big (and pretty pointless debate) amongst Republicans over here about what to do with the that awkward work "Royal" in a the scenario of a Republic.[/b]

I'm not aware that there's been any debate simply because nobody calls it the Royal Dublin Society, it's always been the RDS with little thought given to the Royal aspect. If there are any gripes from Republicans I'm certainly unaware of it and if they were to create an issue then they can sod right off.

By "West Brits", its a term we use for the Dublin upper class, duffel coat brigade, or high society. They would not necessarily be Scots or English as just as many Irish, specifically those upper classes, would have been content to retain links to the empire. They could have been of English or Scottish decent but independence probably wouldnt have been in their financial interests, not sure if nationality would have been the issue. Its the way it always is, and always was.

Of course I'm making grand assumptions here without a jot of evidence to back it up. Its just a tongue-in-cheek name, its not meant as an insult.

As for the "Royal" in the name. I havent the foggiest to be honest. I can see how it would be a fun discussion in the pub, but outside of that I dont think anyone over here gives a flying poo. Except for the likes of;

sport-graphics-2007_702030a.jpg

Latest posts