• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Baa Baas vs South Africa - 1st December

G

Gavin

I am currently thinking of going to this match, anyone thinking of heading? What do the teams look like on both side?

I am currently thinking of going to this match, anyone thinking of heading? What do the teams look like on both side?
[/b]

Hi Gavin, should be very entertaining. Baa Baas games dont have the intensity of traditional test matches but it gives top players the chance to show off their skills in a less pressured enviroment.Also anyone can get tickets. I read today that SA will include Burger, Matfield,Botha,James and Montgomery. Baa Baas should have Sivivatu,Jack,Oliver,Chabal and Jason Robinson. Il be getting tickets for this game tomorrow. Hope u enjoy your day at Twickers.
Regards Danny

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Hi Gavin, should be very entertaining. Baa Baas games dont have the intensity of traditional test matches but it gives top players the chance to show off their skills in a less pressured enviroment.Also anyone can get tickets. I read today that SA will include Burger, Matfield,Botha,James and Montgomery. Baa Baas should have Sivivatu,Jack,Oliver,Chabal and Jason Robinson. Il be getting tickets for this game tomorrow. Hope u enjoy your day at Twickers.
Regards Danny
[/b][/quote]

what team is baa baas? is this a part of the world cup?

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Regards Danny
[/b][/quote]

what team is baa baas? is this a part of the world cup? [/b][/quote]
The Baa Baas is short for The Barbarians. The Barbarians are "The United Nations of Rugby Union". Approximately once a year this presitigious club picks a Worlds best team on form and they play against a rugby nation. These games are played in a light hearted, entertaining atmosphere.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Regards Danny
[/b][/quote]

The Baa Baas is short for The Barbarians. The Barbarians are "The United Nations of Rugby Union". Approximately once a year this presitigious club picks a Worlds best team on form and they play against a rugby nation. These games are played in a light hearted, entertaining atmosphere.
[/b][/quote]

is it possible for them to pick someone from south africa this year, and have south africa playing against one of its own guys or is the team they are playing that year excluded?

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Regards Danny
[/b][/quote]
The team they're playing against is excluded.

[/b][/quote]

is it possible for them to pick someone from south africa this year, and have south africa playing against one of its own guys or is the team they are playing that year excluded? [/b][/quote]

[/b]

Er...that's not really entirely true. The Barbarians Rugby Club is an invitational side, who play far more matches than simply once a year against an international team. They invite players who are suitable for the opposition they are playing against.

For example, in England there is the annual Edgar Mobbs Memorial Match, where the BaaBaas play against an East Midlands XV. This involves players from the lower reaches of English rugby on both sides, including a lot of th most talented amateurs and part-timers the country has to offer. It is still an official Barbarians fixture though.

Similarly, the BaaBaas have been involved in development matches across a number of the smaller rugby playing nations of Europe.

They are about developing the game and playing exciting rugby, not just competing in a one-off showcase event each year.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Regards Danny
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

is it possible for them to pick someone from south africa this year, and have south africa playing against one of its own guys or is the team they are playing that year excluded? [/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

Not true several players have played for the Baa Baas against their own country.

The Barbarians are the dream team of Rugby. They can call on anyone regardless of nationality or even age and when they get a good team together with a reasonable atmopshere, they can pull off some superb and electrifying rugby.

Several England players played for the Baa-baas against England, Jeremy Guscott for example.

You might get to see a few tries at this one, unlike the world cup final. Doesn't this just prove that pressure (on the mind) is a huge part of success in rugby. When there is nothing at stake these sorts of games can become 10 try thrillers and players take more risks - but then the passes start to come off and the game flows from there.

I hope there are good players not like previous years where its just a mash of old has beens.

I'm glad Ibanez has been suspended coz I'm pretty sure he would have got the No.2 jersey for the BaaBaas....like every other year.

I would like to see a few players from the 'minnow' nation given a chance to play for them. Players like that Portugese No.8, the Romanian hooker, US winger who scorched Habana, etc.

I'm glad Ibanez has been suspended coz I'm pretty sure he would have got the No.2 jersey for the BaaBaas....like every other year.

I would like to see a few players from the 'minnow' nation given a chance to play for them. Players like that Portugese No.8, the Romanian hooker, US winger who scorched Habana, etc.

[/b]
Yeah, I'd like to see some of the Georgian forward pack having a run!

Does anyone officially know what the Barbarians team look like?
[/b]

It is rumoured they look like normal men with heads, eyes, ears, noses etc but their innards are taken up of 150% heart which pumps millions of tiny rugby balls and alot of dirt.

I am going to this match. Can I hear Prestwick say " TRF meetup"??? Let's go boys.

If anybody's up for a meetup PM me and we'll try and catch up before the game.

Latest posts