• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Baabaas shaping up nicely for December clash

F

feicarsinn

http://www.scrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/101910.html

Looks like New Zealand are going to have it put up to them in Twickenham when they face the Barbarians. The first 5 confirmations have been made with Victor Matfield, Brian Habana, Matt Giteau, Stirling Mortlock and Juan Martin Hernandez all accepting invites. Thats shaping up to be one helluva backline!*

*Matfield at 15, obviously

Honestly, I couldn't care less about playing the Barbarians. It doesn't matter who is in them, I just don't think you can get excited playing a bunch of random people who come from nowhere in particular.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 2 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Honestly, I couldn't care less about playing the Barbarians. It doesn't matter who is in them, I just don't think you can get excited playing a bunch of random people who come from nowhere in particular.[/b]

I think you are talking trough the lower part of your anatomy. They are NOT random players, and they DO come from somewhere. Are you dense on purpose or is it your natural state ?
They're some of the best players, and they are what rugby is all about: playing running rugby, enjoying it with your mates and giving everything to try to beat an international team.
Plus it is a chance to see some players play together that you could never see otherwise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 2 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 2 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I couldn't care less about playing the Barbarians. It doesn't matter who is in them, I just don't think you can get excited playing a bunch of random people who come from nowhere in particular.[/b]

I think you are talking trough the lower part of your anatomy. They are NOT random players, and they DO come from somewhere. Are you dense on purpose or is it your natural state ?
They're some of the best players, and they are what rugby is all about: playing running rugby, enjoying it with your mates and giving everything to try to beat an international team.
Plus it is a chance to see some players play together that you could never see otherwise.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly, It is an exhibition game. It is about running rugby and all that. When I watch a real test match I want to see history, passion and a will to win. The game will have absolutely zilch on it. How can players be excited about playing for the barbarians and really want to win when the barbarians is not a place, club or franchise. The barbarians can play Fun time XV if they want a game. They can play the All blacks but I won't watch it and couldn't give a crap what happens. It's the end of a long season and it's bloody typical that the All Black brand continues to be devalued by an NZRU who only wants to make money and shows little care for the grassroots or for the presevation of the best brand in rugby union.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 2 2009, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Sep 2 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 2 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Exactly, It is an exhibition game. It is about running rugby and all that. When I watch a real test match I want to see history, passion and a will to win. The game will have absolutely zilch on it. How can players be excited about playing for the barbarians and really want to win when the barbarians is not a place, club or franchise. The barbarians can play Fun time XV if they want a game. They can play the All blacks but I won't watch it and couldn't give a crap what happens. It's the end of a long season and it's bloody typical that the All Black brand continues to be devalued by an NZRU who only wants to make money and shows little care for the grassroots or for the presevation of the best brand in rugby union.
[/b][/quote]

You show little care for the true value and history of rugby union. I can't believe you say you want to see history from a game of rugby and then say you wont watch the Babarians.

The Babarians are a special team. They always traditionally play one of the Southern Hemisphere sides at the end of the Autumn tour. It is a credit to Rugby Union that amidst all the money and professionalism, there is still time for the true traditions of the game. How many other sports can you think of where world stars will be able to join together to form a cohesive team, just for the fun of their sport rather than any charity/ money desires?

Unusual teams like the Babarians and the Lions are what makes RU the best sport in the world, along with things like the haka. They are vital and unique traditions that go beyond anyone who talks in terms of 'brands'.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 2 2009, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Your loss so

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Sep 2 2009, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You show little care for the true value and history of rugby union. I can't believe you say you want to see history from a game of rugby and then say you wont watch the Babarians.

The Babarians are a special team. They always traditionally play one of the Southern Hemisphere sides at the end of the Autumn tour. It is a credit to Rugby Union that amidst all the money and professionalism, there is still time for the true traditions of the game. How many other sports can you think of where world stars will be able to join together to form a cohesive team, just for the fun of their sport rather than any charity/ money desires?

Unusual teams like the Babarians and the Lions are what makes RU the best sport in the world, along with things like the haka. They are vital and unique traditions that go beyond anyone who talks in terms of 'brands'.[/b]
I second that emotion...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Sep 1 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is Nick Mallet coaching them?[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Sep 1 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He is indeed[/b]

So Mr Mallet WILL be putting Matfield at 15! Maybe he'll get the hooker to play scrum half too! :lol:

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

So you want to see a match with history, passion and a will to win. Well! I see exactly where your logic comes from and you know what? I totally agree!

I think the best way to ensure that Rugby's tradition, history and passion survives is to dump and shun and generally ignore the very team which has the longest traditions & history in the game and embodies just how passionate rugby can be! What a masterstroke! I am in awe of your genius!

No, you have absolutely no idea either who the BaaBaas are, what they stand for or where they've been and so I'll give you a very quick and brief history lesson.

Barbarians FC were founded in 1890. Roughly thirteen years before the All Blacks first played an international game of rugby and two years before the NZRU was founded. Count that. Thirteen. Years. Before. The history of the BaaBaas is almost 120 years old. How old do you want a team to be before you will factor in "history"? Two hundred years? Five hundred? A millenia? They've been playing club, invatational and international sides before your Grandad was a glimmer in your Great-Grandmother's eye. That is an absolutely phenominal tribute to the history, culture and tradition that embodies Rugby Union.

No sir, the Baa-Baas vs the New Zealand All Blacks is a great honour for all concerned and if you cannot see that then I can only wish that you open up that other eye and see the light :)

EDIT:

Watch that video. Watch it, look me in the eye and tell me that nobody in that stadium felt any passion or felt that none of those 30 players on that field were giving 220% during that entire game. Honestly.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3169xA0h6PE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3169xA0h6PE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yeah, I agree I like watching the Barberians play, it is in a way like watching New Zealand vs the best the rest of the world has to offer, and with that come some real pride from New Zealand. Some of the greatest moments from New Zealanders has come from the Baabaa's jearsey and every time the jearsey goes on a person, you can think of every great who had worn that jearsey, not just from one country, but the entire world. I must say that the famous try verse NZ is well over replayed, that being said, I am sure England feels the same way about Jonah's WC try, or Australia about the Christian Cullen 1998 try.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Sep 3 2009, 03:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
William18 r pwnzorrrrrd!!!11!!one1one!!1!!111one!![/b]
Haha, yeah, I got wasted.

I must admit that I did not know about all the history and tradition associated with the game. That was very ignorant of me. I'll do a little bit of research about it to find out some more. I still won't watch it though and won't get excited about playing them. That's my personal opinion. Hey, as feicarsinn said, if it's a great game then it is my loss.

Latest posts