17) Vunipola
18) Furlong
19) Launchbury
20) Stander/TF
21) Youngs
22) Farrell
23) Jones

22) Farrell
Is Farrell a 'bench' player? Technically I suppose he covers injuries but is he the guy you want coming into a game to grab it by the scruff of its neck and solve problems Sexton couldn't?

Its just one of those things I think he's a player you want starting or not at all.

Would like to see
1) McGarth
2) George (Hoping he starts in 6N's)
3) Cole
4) Itoje
5) Wyn-Jones
6) Henderson
7) Warburton or SOB
8) Vunipola
9) Murray
10) Sexton
11) Watson
12) Henshaw
13) Joesph
14) Williams
15) Hogg

16) Best
17) Vunipola
18) Furlong
19) Launchbury
20) Stander/TF
21) Youngs
22) Farrell
23) Jones
Probably my favorite team on here so far. George is probably premature, but I think you've him there on prediction of him flying in the 6 Nations, and if Furlong keeps it up he has to start, but otherwise fair and a good national mix, which whatever people might say is very important. Not sure about Faletau or Vunipola, can't decide between them, but we'll have more time to see that.
Ncurd, on Farrell he covers two positions and with Sexton he might need to play a lot more than the last 20. I'd have him on the bench at even if he doesn't start.

Message to moderators: Do we need this Lions thread or can this one just be merged with the " (Very) early thoughts on the Lions" thread?

Probably my favorite team on here so far. George is probably premature, but I think you've him there on prediction of him flying in the 6 Nations, and if Furlong keeps it up he has to start, but otherwise fair and a good national mix, which whatever people might say is very important. Not sure about Faletau or Vunipola, can't decide between them, but we'll have more time to see that.
Ncurd, on Farrell he covers two positions and with Sexton he might need to play a lot more than the last 20. I'd have him on the bench at even if he doesn't start.

Yeh Furlong, Cole and Nel all around together.

I'm backing George on starting and having a great tournament.

Spot on with Farrel I'm hoping that the team I would start wouldn't be that far behind that they need a player to chase the game more on to finish it off.

As said Faz covers 12 and 10
Jones covers 13 and Wing
Watson and Williams covers FB.

Re Vunipola or Faletau I'm hoping that the flanks of Henderson and SOB/Warburton would mean that Vunipola running would make for a better balanced back row than Faletau all round graft.

Would like to see
1) McGarth
2) George (Hoping he starts in 6N's)
3) Cole
4) Itoje
5) Wyn-Jones
6) Henderson
7) Warburton or SOB
8) Vunipola

OK, the thread was about the backs, but everyone knows the pack's more important;)

Up front there's no point in trying to out-skill them, or probably even out-muscle them. What I think we can look to do is put them off their stride by playing with more intensity than them. That means the likes of SOB and Stander who are just relentless in your face aggression. Kruis is probably another from that mould. Selections could be horses for courses if playing SA or Aus, but I really don't think this is a series for "soft hands".

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind with the wind.

BTW is it AW-J, A-WJ or AWJ? I always thought A-WJ, but could be wrong?

OK, the thread was about the backs, but everyone knows the pack's more important;)

Up front there's no point in trying to out-skill them, or probably even out-muscle them. What I think we can look to do is put them off their stride by playing with more intensity than them. That means the likes of SOB and Stander who are just relentless in your face aggression. Kruis is probably another from that mould. Selections could be horses for courses if playing SA or Aus, but I really don't think this is a series for "soft hands".

It's Alun-Wyn Jones if anything, his last name is just Jones.

Pretty sure it's Alun-Wyn Jones. AWJ makes more sense when using just initials though.

I really can't decide on my Lions starting XV. I end up going around in circles in the back-row, unable to leave out Faletau, Vunipola, Tipuric, Stander, SOB or Henderson. If I had to begin somewhere, then I'd start with Tipuric at 7, and select 6 & 8 to suit.

I'd say the backs are actually easier to select. Murray is easily the form 9, and is also the most complete player available at 9. Similarly, Sexton is the most rounded 10, but his injuries are a concern. Atm I'd select Henshaw and Joseph without batting an eyelid. The back 3 is imo the most difficult to select in the backline.

Gatland will pick size over skill. He knows his style and won't change.
A backline of
Murray
Sexton or Farrell
North
Henshaw
Roberts
Possibly Maitland
Hogg

This wouldn't suprise me

Roberts shouldn't go at all. He's well past his best, totally one dimensional, and his power counts for nothing against NZ. In fact arguably power is not the way to break the NZ line so going with heavy lumbering centres would be a mistake.

JJ is an obvious choice at 13.
Hogg has to the the starting 15. Lethal on the counter and just solid in D.
I really like the idea of Murray, Sexton Faz axis. So many playmaking options and all solid defenders. If that lot clicked they could control any game.
I think May has a shot. His Pace makes him lethal and combine that with the Irish kicking game that's a handy combo, especially if you put North on the other wing.
Manu is never going on the lions tour. He's got a lot of work to do before he's even back for England and with the current crop of players we have he's gonna struggle to oust someone.

I think Ireland have found the consistent way to defeat the NZ, all be it they oft stumble at the final hurdle. Unrelenting physical defence, hard hits in the rucks, always competing, slowing down their ball, disrupting their style of play, and winning turn overs. Defend them to death, and only play with the ball deep in their half, forcing either the long counter, or the kick return.

Allow them to start spinning the ball wide at will and they will stretch you to breaking point. That's why JJ is a great option. He's so tactically aware he keeps attacking teams honest and would make any 10 second guess the looping long pass.

There is such a good crop of potential lions this time round I think there's every chance they could turn NZ over. That would be something to see.

I agree with this. Itoje has to go and probably start, happy to see him with Kruis, or Gray, Launch, maybe even Lawes. On current form Billy is 8 (assuming he recovers from injury) Stander is probably a starter, and as a wild card I think Hask, if he gets back to where he was in Aus, could be in with a shout. His D was so intense and his hits massive and on occasions game changing.

As for soft hands, have no fear, Makos got that covered.

I agree with everyone here saying Jamie Roberts is past his prime, and I sincerely hope that Gatland doesn't pick size over skill. If anything is evident, you need skill to beat the All Blacks, or to beat any team for that matter. Look at my Bok team, we played Lood De Jager, Eben Etzebeth, Pieter-Steph Du Toit and Willem Alberts all in one pack, all these players weigh over 110 kg and all stand over 1.9 meters tall, yet we barely competed against England. You need a blend of size and skill, and Ireland did this perfectly. Murray and Sexton are both bigger and more physical than your average halfbacks, yet they both possess terrific skills. Huw Jones as well, type in Huw Jones bamboozles Puma defence on YouTube, and look at his footwork and offloading skills, yet he has shown he has physicality, and can take a ball to the gain line. If you look at Irelands last try against the All Blacks, its actually a blend of skill and power, a good scrum and a clever switch between Heaslip and Henshaw, who used his power to get over the line. This is why I have gone for a Farrell with Henshaw, one has good skill and the other has power, and in the last 20 minutes, Huw Jones will bring a lot of pace and energy to the setup. I do agree that Farrell might not be the best defender, but I personally feel he is good enough to play 12 for the Lions. Alternatively, I would rather player Henshaw at 12, and Jones at 13, with Joseph on the bench. Farrell is the type of player for me that is either a starter or isn't playing at all, he isn't really impact player material.

Gatland's selection criteria summed up in a single image:

18n2u2jtl147mjpg.jpg

1.McGrath 2.Best 3.Furlong 4.Itoje 5.Kruis 6.Stander 7.Tipuric 8.SOB
9.Murray 10.Sexton 11.Watson/May 12.Henshaw 13.JJ 14.Seymour 15.Williams/Hogg
16.George 17.Vunipola 18.Cole 19.Henderson 20.Vunipola 21.Youngs 22.Farrell 23.Williams/Hogg

McGrath, Best, Furlong
Itoje, Kruis/Launch
Stander, Faletau (8), SOB

Murray, Sexton
Henshaw, Joseph
May, Williams (15), North

George, MVunipola, Nel, AWJ, BVunipola
Youngs, Ford, Hogg

A couple of picks based on class > form there, but December's form isn't terribly relevant come June. Also going for established units where there's a genuine choice to be made between players.

would like to see
1) mcgarth agree
2) george (hoping he starts in 6n's) best
3) cole furlong
4) itoje agree
5) wyn-jones agree
6) henderson agree
7) warburton or sob tipuric
8) vunipola falatau
9) murray agree
10) sexton sam davies
11) watson agree
12) henshaw agree
13) joesph scott williams
14) williams keelan giles
15) hogg 1/2 penny

16) best george
17) vunipola agree
18) furlong cole
19) launchbury agree
20) stander/tf warburton
21) youngs baldwin
22) farrell sexton
23) jones
williams (l)

Padding out the team with undeserving Welshmen again I see.. Come on how can you possibly justify picking 7 Welshman in the team, more than another other Lions nation, when they have been the worst performing of the 4?

San Davies isn't even in top 4 in contention... probably shouldn't make squad
Scott Williams over jj lol

What a joke

Sam Davies wouldn't make an extended Ireland or England squad nevermind the Lions!

Sam Davies wouldn't even make a Wales starting team trolololooll...

The lions is always a tough one selection-wise but overall right now it feels less tough than usual. It helps that Wales are completely ****. If this form continues into the six nations (which it won't because Wales are far more comfortable against the northern hemisphere) than picking the lieks of Jonathan Davies or Roberts would cause genuine riot across the isles.

as fir Valley Commando he's away with the fairies as we all know..
- You want to have Sam Davies play his 4th ever international starting for the British and Irish Lions at fly-half? Right.
- You want Keelan Giles to make his International debut for the British and irish Lions? Ok. Like literally who even is Keelan Giles (almost serious)
- You can't just put 'Jones'.... that could literally be anyone in Wales.

At least Faletau is defensible, even though form currently points elsewhere.

Latest posts