• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Backline Dilemma for Gatland in the British Lions Team

Heaslip does have really good positioning for an international winger, to be fair.

:D

So the Welsh want Faletau, Irish want Heaslip and English want Vunipola.

What a surprise :D

Actually I think I want Faletau. Depends on the rest of the back row a little though.

Not too bothered as long as the unit works though. If we had this sort of choice everywhere in the team, we'd be thinking about winning rather than cautiously saying it may be possible.

I want Stander ��

I think the Lions want to win the series and not just the MOTM awards Muff! :p

- - - Updated - - -

Heaslip does have really good positioning for an international winger, to be fair.

:D
Olyy doesn't rate a Leinster player? Never thought I'd see the day!

I think I've said before that my choice would really be based on who the 2nd rows and flankers were, if there's plenty of carriers there Heaslip is your man, if not Vunipola.

The last few times I've watched Faletau it's been horribly reminiscent of the years prior to 2012 when he couldn't hold onto a rugby ball for love nor money.

I'm not fully decided who I want but I know I want enough carriers in the pack. And despite the fact that Eddie Butler saves his most menacing, powerful commentator voice for when Toby has the ball, a top ball carrier he ain't. Yep a simplistic view perhaps, but I'm highly aware of how much Englands resurgence has been built upon the tempo of play you can get when big ball carriers are making you go forward. I want two good carriers in the back-row. One could be Stander or O'Brien, and Warburton seems likely to start also, which means we'd need a little extra I think at 8. Just my opinion.

I think the Lions want to win the series and not just the MOTM awards Muff! :p

- - - Updated - - -

Olyy doesn’t rate a Leinster player? Never thought I'd see the day!

I think I've said before that my choice would really be based on who the 2nd rows and flankers were, if there's plenty of carriers there Heaslip is your man, if not Vunipola.

And you want Heaslip?? Hasn't he lost 2 series where he was starter But as I stated I'd rather no Munster player as they don't need it

CJ will beat them and we will all be rich just simply bet on MOTM award.

Last edited:

Pretty much sums it up for me, although by the same token, if you have a load of Jacks of all trade, there must be a case for Faletau. I'm very traditional in my view of number eights, so I've never been a big fan of Faletau, but you can't fault his work rate and the number of telling contributions that he makes in a game.

An on song Faletau is an immense sight. Having said that, Stander really impressed me at last year's 6N (playing at 6 in place of SOB unless I'm mistaken?) and I'm interested to see how he does this time around. We'll have a better idea in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Also, with all due deference to the needs of the pack to be strong in everything the pack does, the correct number of carriers here is "All of them". Obviously not all of them will be primary carriers on the field, some of these guys will be doing a lot of ball handling and rucking, but when every guy who gets his hands on the ball is a real threat to hurt them, that's when defences start losing shape.

I think people are forgetting vunipolas workrate and other aspects. He's far from a one trick pony.

Stander is looking rather good as did moriarty.

Good thing with Faletau is that he can just as easily sub in as a flanker, so I'd say possibly Vunipola to start with Faletau coming off the bench for whoever isn't keeping up the pace in the second half. Mind you, the same could be said of Stander so there's no easy answer really!

It'll come down to combinations of back row anyway.
Factor in Lineout, carries, style, defensive work and whole package as part of a trio

I really think we need to see how injuries pan out before deciding who/ isn't in frame luckily we have a decent selection in the 8 slot rather than most or all of the 6.5 we have to pick from a fag paper between them but not a patch on the 8 s mentioned.
And to follow up on previous we need to pick a back row line out option as well who can be a go to man.
For me back five of.
AWJ
Kruis
Itoje.
O'Brien.
Binny.
Tupric
Henderson.
For the bench.

Binny's injury is a massive factor, particularly for a hard carrying no. 8 and with no 6n to impress he needs to finish the season big to guarantee a spot over three other contenders.

How did this thread turn from talking about the back line of the Lions to no.8s? Come on mods do your job and merge the Lions threads into one.

How did this thread turn from talking about the back line of the Lions to no.8s? Come on mods do your job and merge the Lions threads into one.

Because it's over 100 posts long, and all thread spread out on tangents after the first dozen or so posts?

Latest posts