• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Backs' marking problem

TDeg

Academy Player
Hello.

Any views welcome.

Am playing as inside centre. Outside is very quick and very vocal. He chases anyone who's opposite him and not his opposite number. Whilst defending requires covering for any gaps, his insistence on doing it all the time is leaving bir overlaps nearly every time outside him and the winger often has two or sometimes three opposites.

What's the starting point in this situation and how can the backs unit train to play solid defence.

This problem means that the backs are not yet quick off the mark when there's an attcking opportunity because there's constant concern about defensive problems.

Thanks for reading.

First question is what is you coach doing to allow this to happen?

However, my suggestion would be to communicate what the defensive strategy is and then make someone else (yourself?) defensive captain, thus lessening the impact his vocals have. If he still ruins the pattern by legging it off then the coach should sub him and explain why. People who cannot follow the patterns should not be in the team.

It seems like your outside centre is kind of trying a rush defense, which is always going to create holes if he's the only one rushing up. Basically tell him that he needs to employ the same defense as the rest of the backs, or if he's seen as a vital part of the team, everyone has to employ a rush defense.

As it happens, I'd say he needs to learn and stick to the defensive pattern or he can sod off.

Thanks for your replies.

Coach is doing ok, its a new team, so he's getting on top of it gradually. Very diverse ages 17 to 50 so there's as much know how inthe team as from him too.

Rush pattern is I guess what has been happening. Flat line asap which has been effective. The outside centre is so quick, I'm pretty ok for speed, but is the inside centre expected to be on his opposite number in every defensive play? I'd suggest not as ball is passed quickly, line is steep, and ball goes through inside centre pretty quickly.

What other defensive patterns are there to play? At present, man to man would be ok with freedom to cover as necessary BUT cover going outside / down the line, not the inside / where there's already plenty of cover.

Latest posts