• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

bangladesh stun south africa

E

esoj

well massive upset with bangladesh wning by 67 runs. they made 251 off their 50 overs and bowled yes bowled south africa out for 184.

scorecards here
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1052633

this defintely opens up the competition again especially for teams like england and the west indies whose campaigns had not been the greatest in the super 8's.

I smell a rat here- did Smithy finally take a leaf out of the Hansie Cronje captaincy manual, and accept a leather jacket from a dodgy bookie named Sanjay?

Seriously though, Bangladesh completely outbatted, outbowled and out-fielded the SA team, which begs a couple of questions which has ben simmering for quite some time to be answered.

1- Captaincy- while Ricky Ponting and Stephen Fleming actually read the game and control it with their bowling changes and field placings, old Smithy`s going with the tried and trusted, pre-programmed Plan A. When plan A fails- complete and utter panick! Polly must bowl 7 on the trot up front, and go for about 20 in that time. If he gets clobbered, what to do? Macky`s got to get a couple of early wickets. If he doesn`t- panick!

2- Balance of team- I actually really rate Robbie Peterson as one of our better ODI spinners. However, it seems like the SA brains trust( now there`s an interesting choice of term!) has f-all faith in him, which begs the question- why the heck select a guy if you`re never gonna play him in the match 11?

3- Passangers past their prime or out of form- when Mark Waugh, a legend in his time, lost form, the Aussie selectors were wise enough to relieve him of his duties a few years back. No place for sentiment in selection in the land Down Under. Look, Shaun Pollock has been a great servant of SA cricket. One does not take 400 Test wickets and 300+ in ODI`s without being able to hold a seam upright. But is he maybe past it? It`s been more than 3 years since his last Test 5-for, and he was horribly exposed on the Carribean wickets by both Aus and Sri Lanka, and failed to strike against Bangladesh. Same wit Justin Kemp, a master blaster when in form, but has simply not adjusted to the slower wickets of the Caribbean. SA made the same mistake with Allan Donald in 2003.....

4- Batting- the much-vaunted SA batting depth and lower-order batting has been exposed as a myth by Aus, Sri Lanka and now Bangladesh. If the top 4 doesn`t get at least 2 50`s between them, the batting just goes completely off- and it smells worse than last week`s sushi.

5- Pressure situations- the choker`s tag is alive and well. Once again, a lot of very soft dismissals while chasing a very gettable target proved to be the undoing.

6- Death bowling- 70 runs off the last 7 overs. Without Hall at the death, our death bowling is exactly that- dead!

Match fixing is well and truly alive! lol...nah don't really know that for sure, but it's definitely possible.

I'm glad to see that Australia have regained their #1 World ODI Ranking!

To be honest it's a poor man's excuse to say this is match fixing. It may well be but there is no evidence!

What South Africa need is a decent slow bowler. All sides competing have decent spinners and its been a major difference in the competition. Its really South Africa and West Indies that dont seem to have one!

To be honest it's a poor man's excuse to say this is match fixing. It may well be but there is no evidence!

What South Africa need is a decent slow bowler. All sides competing have decent spinners and its been a major difference in the competition. Its really South Africa and West Indies that dont seem to have one!
[/b]

True about the slow bowler- however, what really irks me is that SA has got a pretty decent slow left-armer in the squad in Robbie Peterson. Sure, he`s no Warne or Murali, but a pretty decent ODI slow bowler nonetheless- but for some or other reason, he`s rarely included in the match 11, and even when included, he rarely gets more than 6 overs in a game. That was actually one of the points I made earlier- why include him in the squad( which was a very good selection IMO), when you`re never gonna play him? That`s a question for our coach and captain to answer- and I doubt whether they`ve got the answers between them.

On the matter of the no1 ranking- yeah well, the mighty Aussies also had their little blip against Bangladesh last year hey........

And we had ours in warm ups for World Cup... surely then having beaten top 3 ranked nations they can stop being called upsets?

Is Peterson maybe a quota selection???

Forgot all about that warm-up win vs. New Zealand too. Add to the top 3 also the scalps of India and Pakistan in the last 2 CWC`s, and I fully agree- Bangladesh cannot be taken lightly by anybody anymore. That was SA`s biggest mistake in this game- taking the win for granted beforehand.

On Robbie Peterson- some might consider him a quota selection, I do not- I consider him SA`s best ODI slow bowler. My gripe is that he never gets the opportunity to prove, or disprove, himself, due to SA`s obstinate insistence on a 5-man pace attack. If Warne was a South African, I wonder if even he would have got a look-in in the ODI side, due to this fkn all-pace thinking that we have going on over here. That was also my initial gripe with the whole squad selection- picking the ageing Roger Telemachus as the 6th seam bowler in the squad, when a 2nd spinner would have given us more options for all types of match conditions.

True, for a little while Jeetan Patel wasn't getting any game time for us, and he's shown here and there he's a worthy back up to Vettori when given a chance.

To me the biggest problem is Graeme Smith's part time offies keep a dedicated tweaker out of the side...

Latest posts