• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Baseless Banning

SixteenSixtySix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Malaysia
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Heard that my local rugby authority (or whatever it's called) doesn't allow 8-stud boots. What're your thoughts?

Do they give a reason why? Mine are eight, and I can't see where there would be a problem.

Is it 8 stud's, or a specific configuration?

One stud at the front only became legal last year for example.

Is it 8 stud's, or a specific configuration?

One stud at the front only became legal last year for example.

Really? I hadn't heard that. That'll be good for all the football (gridiron) players who have to chop the toe stud off to use the same cleats for rugby.

How does the number of studs affect anything? I'm not sure why your local rugby authorities would choose to ban having a certain number of studs. I also don't understand what was the point of banning boots with one stud in the front by the IRB.

How does the number of studs affect anything? I'm not sure why your local rugby authorities would choose to ban having a certain number of studs. I also don't understand what was the point of banning boots with one stud in the front by the IRB.

the configuration was banned because if you bring your boot down all the weight goes through that single stud at the front - it's dangerous if it goes onto someones body and with all your weight on that single point can pierce the skin and worse.

The single stud is allowed now, but i think it has to be offset?

I imagine it harks back to the days of rucking, where you'd be giving everyone a shoeing all game. These days, in theory, this doesn't happen so the single stud shouldn't matter.

Latest posts