Basic rugby rules questions

spuitpoep

Academy Player
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Argentina
Apologies for my ignorance but I have some very basic rugby rules questions:

If a player is tackling someone and he puts his foot over the touch line, is he out? Is the tackled player out? If he drags the tackled player out but he steps out first, who is out?

In a ruck, if a guy pushes the other teams' guy away is he allowed to then grab the ball or is that hands in the ruck? When does hands in the ruck happen exactly?

How do you join a ruck? Say you come through the gate but you don't want to hit your own players, can you push next to them shoulder to shoulder?

The ball carrier is not out until part of him touches the the line/outside the line, nothing else matters really.

On the ruck, once ruck is called the only person who can play the ball with their hands is the dummy half.

Apologies for my ignorance but I have some very basic rugby rules questions:

If a player is tackling someone and he puts his foot over the touch line, is he out? Is the tackled player out? If he drags the tackled player out but he steps out first, who is out?

When any part of the ball carrier crosses the touch line, he is out. Doesn't matter if the tackler crossed or not. In fact, if you're tackling the ball carrier and he goes into touch then you did a very good job.

In a ruck, if a guy pushes the other teams' guy away is he allowed to then grab the ball or is that hands in the ruck? When does hands in the ruck happen exactly?

If you were strong enough to physically shove the opposing rucker out of the ruck, then yes you should be able to play the ball, but first you need to show the ref that you aren't a part of the ruck, so you should try to hold your hands up in a "don't shoot me" sort of way, just for a split second before reaching for the ball.

Don't try to do this though, it likely won't work lol. I was just answering your hypothetical question.

How do you join a ruck? Say you come through the gate but you don't want to hit your own players, can you push next to them shoulder to shoulder?

Yes if you are the second man to the ruck, you should come in to the side of your teammate, get hip-to-hip with him, that is, have your hip touching his hip, and bind onto him around his back, and then your other arm should be binding onto the opposing rucker for you two to drive him/them.
Answers in bold within the quote. Hope this helps man.

Latest posts