Bath 2018/2019 or How I learned to stop worrying and love the injuries

Discussion in 'Premiership Rugby / Premiership Cup' started by ragerancher, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Reiser99

Reiser99 First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Leicester

So Hooper officially new director of rugby. He's very young for a director of rugby and the way he has been paraded as the future successor for a while doesn't suggest that there was a rigorous and neutral hiring process. Personally I'm very sceptical of hiring those within the system to try and turn things around as they have usually been part of the problem and it's very hard to bring new ideas and a fresh perspective. Leicester are a perfect example, where MoC got most of the blame, but once Murphy and co had the freedom to make changes, nothing has improved. You could well argue it's got worse. I suppose you could argue that both teams have a chance to bring in fresh players and get rid of those they don't need, but pinning your hopes on new players to transform a team is extremely optimistic .

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Which Tyler

Which Tyler First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Bath

I'm more worried about the lack of a strong personality in the coaching set up.
    DOR is (or should be) far enough removed from the team that I'm not too worried, and he has had 3 years training for the job (so 1-2 years too early yet).
    An inexperienced DOR needs a strong, experienced head coach. It looks like he's not going to get one - though I take some consolation from the fact that we did try to get Burt, which should mean that were at least looking for someone.

4. Old Hooker

Old Hooker First XV

Country Flag:

England

It's no coincidence that the 2 most consistent teams in the country have had the same DoRs in place for around a decade. Also probably the best conveyor belts of home grown talent. Some food for thought.

Barnes' book is worth a read. The game's changed massively since those glory years, but there are undoubtedly themes that carry through. In Rowell they had a dominant leader with real stature.

5. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

What a load of ********

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!