• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath or "The masochists guide to rugby"

So Hooper officially new director of rugby. He's very young for a director of rugby and the way he has been paraded as the future successor for a while doesn't suggest that there was a rigorous and neutral hiring process. Personally I'm very sceptical of hiring those within the system to try and turn things around as they have usually been part of the problem and it's very hard to bring new ideas and a fresh perspective. Leicester are a perfect example, where MoC got most of the blame, but once Murphy and co had the freedom to make changes, nothing has improved. You could well argue it's got worse. I suppose you could argue that both teams have a chance to bring in fresh players and get rid of those they don't need, but pinning your hopes on new players to transform a team is extremely optimistic .

I'm more worried about the lack of a strong personality in the coaching set up.
DOR is (or should be) far enough removed from the team that I'm not too worried, and he has had 3 years training for the job (so 1-2 years too early yet).
An inexperienced DOR needs a strong, experienced head coach. It looks like he's not going to get one - though I take some consolation from the fact that we did try to get Burt, which should mean that were at least looking for someone.

It's no coincidence that the 2 most consistent teams in the country have had the same DoRs in place for around a decade. Also probably the best conveyor belts of home grown talent. Some food for thought.

Barnes' book is worth a read. The game's changed massively since those glory years, but there are undoubtedly themes that carry through. In Rowell they had a dominant leader with real stature.

Same exact thoughts ran through my mind.

Also Sale seemingly wanting to replace their home-grown local academy players with springboks internationals. Not sure how long it will last.
What a load of ********

If the bit about Joe has been carefully worded that really doesn't sound good.

Was it a training injury in Japan? Maybe explains why we barely saw him?

If the bit about Joe has been carefully worded that really doesn't sound good.

Was it a training injury in Japan? Maybe explains why we barely saw him?
Which is why I'm assuming it was a training injury - can't have been a playing one - though I guess it could have been a "**** happens" injury playing fusball or something.

Which is why I'm assuming it was a training injury - can't have been a playing one - though I guess it could have been a "**** happens" injury playing fusball or something.
Bet it was some light sumo. Jones did a book signing near my office yesterday. I should have gone down and asked him.

Hope Joe and the others recover properly and quickly.

Bath aren't going to improve until someone smashes the stupid old club network that is running the club and bring in a degree of ruthlessness and professionalism. Everything about the club feels amateurish and like nobody really cares.

Bath win today's "least surprising announcement" award
Neal Hatley officially announced as Head Coach

Last edited:
Last edited:
So, Hooper and the whole coaching staff potentially in the firing line after seasons of underperformance interrupted by a brief spell of post lockdown 1 competence?

So, Hooper and the whole coaching staff potentially in the firing line after seasons of underperformance interrupted by a brief spell of post lockdown 1 competence?
Is that how you feel or rumours circulating?

What's the deal with Alex Gray?

Do you think he was signed in the anticipation that Big Joe would be away with England and they'd need another big body on the wing to cover?

Is that how you feel or rumours circulating?
My opinion and pretty common on Bath social media. For the resources and players Bath have had over the years, the complete failure to win anything and now potentially coming last in the Prem just isn't good enough. We seem to be losing all the players who actually turn out for Bath and replacing them with players who really don't put the work in.

My opinion and pretty common on Bath social media. For the resources and players Bath have had over the years, the complete failure to win anything and now potentially coming last in the Prem just isn't good enough. We seem to be losing all the players who actually turn out for Bath and replacing them with players who really don't put the work in.
Fair enough. I agree Bath need to change. TBH I never liked the idea of Hooper just retiring and then moving straight into coaching set up. Same as with Leicester and Murphy, too close to the club and smacks of cronyism, even if it isn't. Hooper should have spent some time getting experience in a smaller coaching role, but instead pretty much jumped straight to the top.

Just watched the highlights too. What struck me was some of the Bath players looking like they don't care. JJ got stepped by Radradra and he just gave up and started jogging back. Wonder if Bath will have a bit of a surge like Quins if there is a change in management.

Just watched the highlights too. What struck me was some of the Bath players looking like they don't care. JJ got stepped by Radradra and he just gave up and started jogging back. Wonder if Bath will have a bit of a surge like Quins if there is a change in management.
Personally I'd love to have Lancaster as head coach and then whoever as DOR. As long as Lancaster basically fulfills the same role he does and Leinster, I think that would be what Bath need. We also need a real tough nut defence coach in the Shaun Edwards guise who will give players the hairdryer treatment for not making an effort in defence.

It's one thing to simply be outplayed but Bath look like they have better things to be doing than playing. Zach Mercer was one of the guys who had actual fire in him and now we have lost him, no doubt he is fed up with the attitude. All the key players that helped Bath to our successful season left. Ford, Stringer, Banahan, Houston, Fearns, Eastmond... Not necessarily the best players but they all gave it their all for Bath. We went through a phase of brining in a load of over the hill ex Welsh internationals who didn't really give a damn then a bunch of Islanders and now it looks like we are going for Saffas. There doesn't seem to be a core of academy players in the team and I think the club lacks and real cohesion or team spirit. A lot of our signings seem to disappear soon after they join and I worry we could lose the likes of Watson and Underhill next.

Latest posts