Bath eye St Helens star Kyle Eastmond in code switch

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="226"> <tbody><tr><td>
_50610714_eastmond.jpg
Eastmond's ability has been likened to cross-code legend Jason Robinson

</td></tr> </tbody></table> Bath have held talks with St Helens scrum-half Kyle Eastmond about a potential switch from league to union.
The 21-year-old England international, who made his debut in 2008, before effectively replacing Saints legend Sean Long, has met Bath officials.
"He's one of league's most exciting prospects and could make the transfer across pretty seamlessly," Bath coach Brad Davis told BBC Radio Bristol.
"Any club he chooses to go to will greatly benefit from his services."
If Eastmond did make the move south he would follow the likes of Shontayne Hape and Chev Walker in swapping the 13-man code for Bath, although Sale Sharks have also reportedly been linked.
Eastmond's breakthrough year came in 2009 when he scored 129 points in 17 appearances and scored all his side's points in their 18-10 Grand Final loss to Leeds Rhinos in October.
Last term his campaign was hit by an ankle injury which restricted him to just five appearances in the second half of the season and required two operations.
He missed England's trip down under for the Four Nations and, although he was expected to miss the start of the Super League season on 12 February, he should be close to full fitness by then.

Not sure how I'd feel about that&hellip;
Would prefer him to stick in League for at least a few more years

Would certainly be an interesting move,
Wonder where he'd play? Centre? Wing? Flyhalf?

Meehan obviously sees him as another Jason Robinson - You know, being as he's short, black and a League player. Apparently that makes you a Jason Robinson! :rolleyes:

Meehan however is an idiot. Eastmond is too slow for the wing, too small for the centre and doesn't know anything about union so doesn't have a snowflakes chance at 10. He's a great League player, but will never make it in real rugby.

Myler did alright on the move to Union, but I get where you're coming from: the League -> Union switchees that tend to be any good are Wings/Fullbacks

True, but Myler had played Union prior as a schoolboy. It helped also he'd got Carlos Spencer and Paul Grayson as mentors.

I don't think Eastmond will find as easy a transition with Olly Barkley and HMS Banahan showing him the ropes!

Well it would be a massive loss for RL if it did happen. Don't think it will though, Eastmond seems to love league and St Helens... but money can always change things I suppose.

The problem with Eastmond as a Union player is I couldn't think of anywhere obvious to put him. He'd make a great scrum half, but England aren't short of players there. At wing or fullback he'd be wasted, and I'd say he would at 13 as well. So it would have to be 10 or 12, and you really have to learn how to play 10. So 12 it is.

Would Bath want to risk a 21 year old League player at 12 in the Prem? No. However, with James leaving for the Currie Cup, perhaps that frees up a slot for Barkley to move to 10, and maybe they're thinking of grooming Eastmond to fill the 12 slot.

Either way, having him in Union would be very exciting, but I think it would be better for his career if he went to the NRL instead...

Meehan obviously sees him as another Jason Robinson - You know, being as he's short, black and a League player. Apparently that makes you a Jason Robinson! :rolleyes:

Meehan however is an idiot. Eastmond is too slow for the wing, too small for the centre and doesn't know anything about union so doesn't have a snowflakes chance at 10. He's a great League player, but will never make it in real rugby.

Geech is in charge of signing players.

Bath would be better off keeping their money for buying a new tight five.

Mergededed two threads

Would be interesting to see if he would be used at 12,
An all-league centre partnership with him and Hape

Can't imagine him being a Union scrumhalf

ah right sorry boys, didn't think of looking in the Aviva section first. woopsies. ah well all sorted now :D :D
will be very interesting to see how this turns out, and where he'll play.

Mergededed two threads

Would be interesting to see if he would be used at 12,
An all-league centre partnership with him and Hape

Can't imagine him being a Union scrumhalf

No can I... For one thing he can't pass.

Just to resurrect this,
There's been whisperings that Sale Sharks are after him, and he was seen at the match last night sitting with Steve Dimond, who's already had success of bringing league players to union *coughASHTONcoughMYLERcough*
Sale have also just taken on the old Bradford Bulls CEO/Superleague General Manager/RFL Director Gary Tasker as the Commercial Director, just to strengthen the RL ties a bit more

Diamond, in all his coaching wisdom, woll probably decide he's the new Jason Robinson and turn 4-foot-Nothing-and-made-of-Glass Eastmond inton a winger. With Sales record for keeping players fit post-Johnson, he'd be a huge waste of money.

Diamond's judgement has been pretty spot on in the past though. Didn't he pluck Tonga'huia from a lower division, Kruger from relative obscurity in SA, Downey from Italian rugby and both Ashton and Myler from another sport? I'm open to correction on that. He seems to have a great record as a talent scout.

Never doubted his scouting ability. I'd have major concerns however about coaching ability.

Nb. Myler, Downey & Tiny I believe were well before his time. Dunno about Kruger.

Where would you play Eastmond then? Wing? Fly Half or somewhere else?

Scrum half = Cant pass
10 = :lol:
12 = Too Small
13 = Can step but too slow
Wing/FB = Too slow & injury prone

Never doubted his scouting ability. I'd have major concerns however about coaching ability.

Nb. Myler, Downey & Tiny I believe were well before his time. Dunno about Kruger.
I thought Steve Diamond was appointed at the same time as good friend Jim Mallinder? All those players arrived during Mallinder's reign. The story Ive heard about Kruger is that he was spotted by Diamond while Russia were playing some random SA team on a tour.

As far as I know Pete Angelsea is remaining as head coach with Diamond taking a hands off approach to things.

I thought Steve Diamond was appointed at the same time as good friend Jim Mallinder? All those players arrived during Mallinder's reign. The story Ive heard about Kruger is that he was spotted by Diamond while Russia were playing some random SA team on a tour.

Mallender joined after Saints were relegated, the same time that Cohen joined Brive. Myler & Tiny joined about 2-3 years before Mallender while (both played in the famous Welford Road win during the relegation season) while Downey signed before Quinlan retired.

Latest posts