• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BBC SPORT -Carney is Munster target

decent league player, not sure about union though
[/b]

I remember him being one of the top wings in Super League maybe three years ago and there was talk of a move to union back then. I must confess I have never seen him play, is he a pacy player? strong?

I guess if you going to convert from league to union then the wing seems to be the easiest position to do it, I would imagine that the majority of the most of the most successful conversions have been wingers/fullbacks. Robinson, Turiqi, Rodgers to name a few that spring to mind. (Not center anyway eh Mr Farrell? :lol: )

<div class='quotemain'>
decent league player, not sure about union though
[/b]

I remember him being one of the top wings in Super League maybe three years ago and there was talk of a move to union back then. I must confess I have never seen him play, is he a pacy player? strong?

I guess if you going to convert from league to union then the wing seems to be the easiest position to do it, I would imagine that the majority of the most of the most successful conversions have been wingers/fullbacks. Robinson, Turiqi, Rodgers to name a few that spring to mind. (Not center anyway eh Mr Farrell? :lol: ) [/b][/quote]

Compared to the fastest Union players in internationals (lets say there are a 10/10) I'd say Carney is an 8, which isn't very fast, just fast enough to be a good winger.

His fend is pretty good and is actually quite deceptive in the way that his run is very upright and poncey like.

Compared to the fastest Union players in internationals (lets say there are a 10/10) I'd say Carney is an 8, which isn't very fast, just fast enough to be a good winger.

His fend is pretty good and is actually quite deceptive in the way that his run is very upright and poncey like.
[/b]

He ought to be a good signing for Munster at least, they are not exactly blessed with options out wide and himself and Kieran Lewis will be good additions to the squad for next season, I would severly doubt that he would have enough time in union to make a decent challenge to Hickie or Horgan come RWC time however. All the same you would have to think that if he does reasonably in the next few months in union he well he will be able to nab a ticket on the plane as a squad member. I would say that Tommy Bowe will be the most concerned of the potential RWC squad members.

Carney will be a good short term signing for Munster. Rumours have it that he's signing until the end of the 2007/2008 season. Also, it seems that he's signing an IRFU contract rather than a Munster deal.

I've watched quite a bit of Carney in League. He's a superb support runner and is lethal from a few yards out -- unlike our other wings he knows when to dive for the line. He excelled at running from dummy half in league and is very keen to get in on the action rather than wait for the ball. He's okay in defense but not spectacular. He's a liability under the high cross kick but with Girvan Dempsey or Shaun Payne backing him up, he shouldn't become over exposed in that area. I fully expect him to get a run out for the national team before the Woeld Cup. He may go to Argentina in the summer followed by a couple of the home warm up games in August/September.

I'd be surprised if he's considered for the world cup, I can't see Eddie taking a risk on someone with so little union experience, who's to say he'll even get much game time for Munster, no harm in taking him to Argentina but the likes of Bowe, Fitzgerald, Kearney would probably all be ahead of him in the pecking order and still all of them behind Hickie, Horgan and Trimble

I fully expect him to get a run out for the national team before the Woeld Cup. He may go to Argentina in the summer followed by a couple of the home warm up games in August/September.
[/b]

Do you really think that steady Eddie would pick an untested league to union convert solely on his reputation?
I think a certain Mr Ashton is feeling very sheepish about doing the same thing.

<div class='quotemain'>
I fully expect him to get a run out for the national team before the Woeld Cup. He may go to Argentina in the summer followed by a couple of the home warm up games in August/September.
[/b]

Do you really think that steady Eddie would pick an untested league to union convert solely on his reputation?[/b][/quote]
Since Carney has signed an IRFU contract (reportedly), my simple answer is yes.

I'm not a massive O'Sullivan fan but I can't understand where this "Steady Eddie" tag has come from. O'Sullivan is the guy who initiated a change in playing style under Gatland 7 years ago. He's the guy who converted Denis Leamy to #8 with great success. He's the first guy who had the guts to try O'Driscoll and D'arcy in the centre together. He gave Andrew Trimble and Luke Fitzgerald their international debuts after only a handful of games. Likewise Jerry Flannery (albeit in different circumstances). While he could probably make better use of his bench, O'Sullivan isn't as conservative as many make him out to be. The fact that he almost certainly gave the Carney move the go ahead makes me think that the former rugby league player will be afforded every opportunity to break into the World Cup squad. I'd rather see Luke Fitzgerald, Rob Kearney or even Tommy Bowe given the opportunity but it's a nice selection problem to have.

He was one of the leading try scorers in the NRL last year. Ofcourse he'll be on the wing for Ireland come World Cup. Carney is class.

Nah mate he won't, he'll have to do something sensational for Munster and given that he's likely to get only 1 or 2 proper games for them I doubt he'll even be under consideration for EOS. He's too conservative a coach to try such an unknown prospect this late in the day. Besides there's no way people would want Carney in for Horgan.

Nah mate he won't, he'll have to do something sensational for Munster and given that he's likely to get only 1 or 2 proper games for them I doubt he'll even be under consideration for EOS. He's too conservative a coach to try such an unknown prospect this late in the day. Besides there's no way people would want Carney in for Horgan.
[/b]
I agree he won't be in the team but disagree that he won't make the squad. He'll be in direct competition with Tommy Bowe for the final wing spot. I know who I'd rather come on if we're chasing a game.

Personally, I'd prefer to give Rob Kearney or Luke Fitzgerald a place in the squad ahead of him however I think neither will feature until the likes of Hickie, Dempsey and, yes, Carney, depart the international scene which could come as soon as next year's 6 Nations tournament.

[/b]

Ahhh I dont know. O'Sullivan is notoriously conservative but he's been happy enough to make the tough calls when he's had too. If he believes another player can offer a better option, he'll get them involved. Hickie and Dempsey's return to the team would be a good example. As would Trimble and Murphy being Benched.

Personally I'd love to see Carney be a success, if only because a successful Carney will improve Irelands chances internationally.

Here's hoping.

If Carney's fit he could blow everyone away. As a runner he should still be at his peak age 30 years, and would match what the ABs have on their wings.

He's fast and very strong, with a good head for the line. Last time I saw him for GB (2005?) there were doubts about his defence. Also a proven leader. Surprised he didn't switch earlier, with BOD and Darcy there to feed the beasts on the wing.

Latest posts