• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BBC SPORT - Lewis quashes British league talk

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rugby News @ Jan 30 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
WRU chief Roger Lewis says finding a replacement for the EDF Cup is more important than a British league.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/r...lsh/7859624.stm[/b]
Could this be a case of Lewis testing the waters?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
"This has been an idea come from the RFU," he said. "It's not something we would go for until we really fully understand it.

"Also, we've got to get everyone around the table.

"We need to talk it through with the Welsh regions, we need to talk it through with the Welsh Premiership, there's a lot of talking.

"I would not at this stage say that this is something that has got real potential because I don't think it's fully understood."[/b]
If the RFU are on board it sounds as though Lewis may be interested. Last year it was rumoured that the IRFU were speaking to the RFU and Setanta about such a league. Also, could the SRU's supposed rejection of Italian teams in the Magners League be linked to this in some way?

I thought the talks last year were about the prospect of the Irish teams playing in the EDF cup???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 30 2009, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought the talks last year were about the prospect of the Irish teams playing in the EDF cup???[/b]
As far as I recall, the IRFU were rumoured to be speaking with Setanta, the RFU (who at the time still had hopes of setting up some of their own teams) and the FFR about getting a league together. The rumour started in Australia (I think) so I'm unsure if there's much truth to it. It's quite possible that the Irish provinces were trying to enter the EDF Cup too.

Latest posts