Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andy Murray

• Andrew Strauss

• Beth Tweddle

• Total voters
It's supposed to be "Sports Personality of the year", not "Lifetime achievement".

It's typical BBC bullshit. The same as England cricket getting team of the year instead of Brawn GP.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Isn't it supposed to be personality of the year, not just most successful? So what if Ryan Giggs has won 11 ***les, 2x European Cups etc. Where's his personality?! Gazza winning it in 1990 was because of his personality - crying because he couldn't play in the final, showing passion. Same with Flintoff in 2005 - getting ****** out of his head after winning the Ashes. What has Ryan Giggs even done remotely like this? What a farce.[/b]

I think the "personality" part has been mis-interpreted over the years and needs to be changed. The winners are often the most sucessful but have the personality of a teapot (ie they "spout" rubbish <_< )

So it should be named "BBC Sports winner but boring sod of the year"

As for team of the year I think the England Ashes wining it was too obvious, how wouldnt they win but I agree that Brawn should have got it, from being close to redundancy to championship winners within 8 months is a staggering effort.

I think the criteria is 'somone who has captured the public's imagination', therefore i would say Andrew Strauss or Jensen Button. I would say Giggs has captured the imagination, but has done nothing THIS YEAR to deserve the award.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Dec 14 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't it supposed to be personality of the year, not just most successful? So what if Ryan Giggs has won 11 ***les, 2x European Cups etc. Where's his personality?! Gazza winning it in 1990 was because of his personality - crying because he couldn't play in the final, showing passion. Same with Flintoff in 2005 - getting ****** out of his head after winning the Ashes. What has Ryan Giggs even done remotely like this? What a farce.[/b]

I think the "personality" part has been mis-interpreted over the years and needs to be changed. The winners are often the most sucessful but have the personality of a teapot (ie they "spout" rubbish <_< )

So it should be named "BBC Sports winner but boring sod of the year"

As for team of the year I think the England Ashes wining it was too obvious, how wouldnt they win but I agree that Brawn should have got it, from being close to redundancy to championship winners within 8 months is a staggering effort.
[/b][/quote]

Brawn deserve all the credit for Jenson Button... he was ordinary till they put him in a far superior car. Anyhoo, what a fantastic type of motor racing where its so evident that the best drivers win the most <_< .

Thought the women cricketers deserved it most anyway.

I'm basing this whole competition on the "personality" part.
It's a little ironic that hardly anyone there doesn't even have a personality. But i did see Beth Tweddle in an interview and she was simply so polite and smiley...no personality, but she didn't have an ego.
So i vote her.
Ahem...

It's never been about personality, Joe Calzaghe, David Beckham, Zara Phillips, Kelly Holmes, Jonny Wilkinson, Paula Radcliffe are hardly oozing in personality.

Are you serious?
You can't have seen an interview with Calzaghe if you don't think he has a personality.
He's a cocky, gobby, east walian who loves to mock people. He's hillarious - great personality.

But yeah, if royalty can win it, then it certainly isn't about personality.

So, can they think about renaming it?

Latest posts