• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Becoming a Flanker.

H

Hall

Hello, i've been playing Rugby on and off for most of my life but have started taking it seriously for the last two years.
I generally play in the centres or at full back but having played a game or two at openside flanker (because of injuries etc') I've decided that's where I want to be.
My question is; how can I force my way into the number seven shirt from the start?
I'm 17 (and playing for college with people my own age and for my local senior side). I'm 6'1, about 177lbs and i'm extremely quick. I break tackles quite well and my tackling has improved loads over the past couple of years. As well as this i'm super fit as i've been competing in all manner of sports regularly for most of my life. As for rucking, i'm decent but without game time at seven I don't know how I can improve enough to warrant starting at loose forward.
So what advice would you offer?

Steal the ball. :)

All the other things you've mentioned are fantastic, and great assets for a 7 to have. The only things I could suggest would be to put on more muscle size and to work on "being a pest" at the breakdown.

Flankers usually are one of the best tacklers on the team, therefore make sure that you are focusing on perfect form. There is a winger on our team that is just praised beyond anyone else because his tackling form is perfect. He, can and has, on serveral occasions, taken down people that are 300lbs+(he is only 150lbs). Also some more size wouldn't hurt, maybe an extra 13-23 lbs of lean mass would be perfect.

Damn!

I've lost 5lbs for some reason!

How should I put the weight on? I'm not all that keen on using protein supplements.

Hey guys this is my first post here so go easy :p

I'm also looking to convert to a flanker (possibly)! My situation is almost the same as the OP; i'm 17, a winger/centre who is very fast and good at tackling. However I don't know the intricacies of the ruck or any specific rules to being a flanker. The main reason for the change is because I used to play centre a lot more, and now on the wing I miss the contact and confrontation that I enjoy so much!

In terms of physical change, I guess I have to bulk up a bit? I'm naturally quite strong but nothing spectacular. Here are some pics I took in Nov 08, not a lot of change since then:
http://i40.tinypic.com/oivjh4.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2iqy2yx.jpg

High weights, low reps sounds good. Which particular areas should I work on? I currently want to work on my chest (pecs are flabby :( )

Cheers for any advice

I made a similar change about the same time. I found operating as a 6 is a good way to get used to playing as a forward. It's a lot more tiring, trust me. Once you get more confident at the breakdown/scrum, feel free to try playing left/right as opposed to open/wide.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kellini @ Feb 6 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I'm also looking to convert to a flanker (possibly)! My situation is almost the same as the OP; i'm 17, a winger/centre who is very fast and good at tackling. However I don't know the intricacies of the ruck or any specific rules to being a flanker. The main reason for the change is because I used to play centre a lot more, and now on the wing I miss the contact and confrontation that I enjoy so much!

In terms of physical change, I guess I have to bulk up a bit? I'm naturally quite strong but nothing spectacular. Here are some pics I took in Nov 08, not a lot of change since then:

High weights, low reps sounds good. Which particular areas should I work on? I currently want to work on my chest (pecs are flabby :( )

Cheers for any advice[/b]

downsy is that you? lol

Basically, flankers must be mobile, quick, tackle well, have a high workrate, high fitness and never say die spirit. The ruck is something you have to learn. I was never really taught much, but you know you can't use hands in the ruck and you have to come from your own side etc.. the trick is to cheat but not get caught.

I'm a Rugby League player now, but I used to be a pretty vicious open-side (still play the odd game during the RL off-season). Anyway, you basically need to be able to hold your own in a ruck (which is a mix of power, weight, bravery, and agression, as well as the technical stuff, which is actually reasonably simple), steal posession effectively (basically technique as well as having the vision to spot your opportunities) and, perhaps most importantly, nail the 10 repeatedly. Flanker is probably the easiest position to play, but the best way to get really good at it is learning by playing. Bulk up if you must, but don't sacrifice speed and mobility.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Nov 23 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello, i've been playing Rugby on and off for most of my life but have started taking it seriously for the last two years.
I generally play in the centres or at full back but having played a game or two at openside flanker (because of injuries etc') I've decided that's where I want to be.
My question is; how can I force my way into the number seven shirt from the start?
I'm 17 (and playing for college with people my own age and for my local senior side). I'm 6'1, about 177lbs and i'm extremely quick. I break tackles quite well and my tackling has improved loads over the past couple of years. As well as this i'm super fit as i've been competing in all manner of sports regularly for most of my life. As for rucking, i'm decent but without game time at seven I don't know how I can improve enough to warrant starting at loose forward.
So what advice would you offer?[/b]

Just show your coach that you are fast, can give/take a tackle, and that you have a lack of brain cells. Haha thats what you need to be an awesome flank dude.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Petden @ Nov 28 2008, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Flankers usually are one of the best tacklers on the team, therefore make sure that you are focusing on perfect form. There is a winger on our team that is just praised beyond anyone else because his tackling form is perfect. He, can and has, on serveral occasions, taken down people that are 300lbs+(he is only 150lbs). Also some more size wouldn't hurt, maybe an extra 13-23 lbs of lean mass would be perfect.[/b]

amen. ha

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kellini @ Feb 6 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Cheers for any advice[/b]

Yeah dude weight would be a good advantage. lol just make sure you don't put on so mucgh that your speed goes down [another qualification for flank is speed]

ok guys cheers. SO you recommend playing blind for a bit? That could be hard to take out the 10 then...

Originally posted by Frntline
downsy is that you? lol
Who is downsy?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kellini @ Feb 8 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
ok guys cheers. SO you recommend playing blind for a bit? That could be hard to take out the 10 then...

Originally posted by Frntline
downsy is that you? lol
Who is downsy?
[/b]

I'd say blind-side is more difficult than open-side, and you also need to be a bit bigger; probably start at open.

When I played forwards I usually did high weights low reps 5 reps of 10, when I played backs I would train low weights like 5 - 10kg's and do high reps like 15-20 reps of 10. just don't strain yourself or you will be no help to anyone.

Started at Openside the other day. Did well enough, didn't miss any tackles and nicked a couple of turnovers.

Moved back to Inside Centre in the second half and scored a length of the field try, maybe I should stay there...

Latest posts