• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bekhuis heading to the Blues, Thorn leaving the country

Kinda thought it was something that Thorn may do, he had a bad year for injuries last year and could get a nice payday overseas.

He is completely out of scope for AB selection, so he is not getting selected there.

I doubt Thorn Needs a payday... Hes been playing professional footy for what? 20 years?

I think he may have a bit stashed away. I think if anything the writing is on the wall for him he's knocking on 40. Super rugby is bloody hard and requires a lot of travel.

Bekhuis is interesting, for a long time it was expected he would eventually be an All Black but now hes way off the radar, hes not even a mention in All Black selection calculations. maybe a change of scenery will do him good.

Sounds like Ged Robinson has transferred to the Crusaders also.

No surprise to see Thorn go - I didn't expect to see him back next season. Bekhuis however is a bit a surprise, and it is disappointing to see him go. He perhaps hasn't quite lived up to his initial potential (he was probably on the AB's radar at one stage), but he is certainly a good player at Super Rugby level.

Wheeler and Franklin are clearly the Highlanders 1st choice combo now (and performed well over the later half of this season given the chance), but we need a few more locking options. Southland's Michael Fatialofa is an obvious choice if he can stay fit for a season. The likes of Joe Latta and Jackson Hemopo from Otago could certainly be in contention if they excel in this years ITM Cup. We could look to target someone like James Tucker from Waikato (who impressed at the JWC), though we could do with a more experienced option (maybe someone like Nick Crosswell could be handy as lock/6 cover).

Really disappointing to see Ged Robinson is going. He was our best hooker this season as he was the only one who could throw the ball in accurately! Obviously the Crusaders were after an experienced hooker to help out Funnell and Taylor. Perhaps a recall is in order for the 100 year old Jason Rutledge :)

Last edited:
BRING CABBAGE BACK!

just read in the odt Thorn wanted to stay down south next year and joseph didn't want him...i worry about joseph sometimes, he's let alot of people go (jed the latest) i would have thought were worth keeping

I would also like to know how hard he tried to get Gear back

Latest posts