Ben Atiga

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi guys,

Anybody knows if Ben will play this season super rugby?
Altho he retired he did came back last season to help out the Highlanders.

But I can't find him back in their squad.
Cheers and a happy New Year.

Hi guys,

Anybody knows if Ben will play this season super rugby?
Altho he retired he did came back last season to help out the Highlanders.

But I can't find him back in their squad.
Cheers and a happy New Year.

Nope, nothing from Ben. He was in Otago's ITM squad last year, and the Highlanders wider training squad as well, but nothing this season.
Looked a bit heavy when I saw him, well over 200lbs on a 5'9" frame.

^^^^^^What he said.

Despite losing a lot of weight - he got to over 120kg (264lbs) during his time off from rugby - he is still carrying quite a bit of weight. He'd still be well over 100kg (220lbs). He had a solid season with Otago last year, and would probably have been pushing for a spot in the Highlanders wider training group again. He seems quite a different player than the one he was in his earlier days: back then he was an elusive fullback (who could cover other positions) that could beat people off either foot. Now he is a powerful midfield back who favours running straight at opposition players rather than going around them. He just seems to lack the motivation to play rugby at the highest level in my opinion - he's been signed for one more season at Otago, and unless he has a great season I can see him retiring from rugby (again..).

Seems like Ben has the curse of the Young Player of the Year award.
He is only 28 and could still have a few good seasons. If he could shed a few more pounds he could be a quick midfielder, but that seems unlikely right now.
Shame about him really.

Strange that he hasn't signed for a team overseas, i don't see the point in him staying in NZ.
He would be a very useful player for any team due to his versatility and skill set.

He got married a couple of weeks ago and is running a some bars and/or restaurants.
Why do most rugby players run bars and or restaurants :) ?

Latest posts