Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Doesn't pull any punches: http://benryan.co.uk/skills-to-pay-the-bills/

It's been bugging me for quite a while.

Watching international and premiership rugby and watching skill levels much lower than they should be. Pass technique varies with every pass and rarely do their hands end up pointing towards their intended target.

Hands are rarely up ready to receive a pass unless they are actually acting as a decoy player. A movement sideways rather than forward is often the case.

Tackle technique more about the hit than the process, again players arms at their sides in the defensive line, not up and ready to tackle, their feet too far away from the tackle and their head facing down towards the grass unable to see what's happening.

Breakdown skills don't have to be very accurate as the laws help promote bash rather than accuracy.

Skills in the 6 Nations

It's often summed up by clips shown on websites or tv of a team preparing. Last week there was one of England and all their players with their arms down in the defensive line. That was prefixed by a clip of an attack with players taking steps sideways, hands late to come up to receive the ball and passes too low. I remember playing with Paul Turner and in training he would just throw the ball back to me (with a well timed adjective) if my pass to him wasn't where he wanted it.

When you compare rugby XV's skills at the highest levels to other professional sports – particularly in the USA, then we are miles behind.

Take the NBA. Every attempted shot is technically on the money. Every single one. Watch them play or train and you will see the same exacting technique that has been practiced as nauseam.

A player gets one step wrong or his shape slightly wrong defensively and it's on repeat on the tv and the commentators and crowd also point out that players technical inadequacies.

You need to be technically brilliant in attack and defence or you get found out quickly.

Skill reproduction is seen as a huge priority. Why? Because the teams at the highest level win the most. Skill = success.

You might think I'm being overly critical but if the skill sets aren't encouraged to improve across the board then the game will become less accurate and based more on size and strength than skills and technique. That would only lead to a dilution of the sport.

We are still a very young professional sport in comparative terms and I would say that our pass, catch and tackling skills are no more advanced than those playing the game 30-40 years ago.

I did see two areas last weekend in the Wales vs England game. The first was the beautiful running lines created by Wales from their first phase move that created a great try. The second was the clever focus on the second man in the tackle looking to target the ball. It was a well thought out technique that gleaned results and showed inventiveness that all too often is a rare animal in the modern game. Filled me with optimism and hope that the game can still develop in the right direction.

Vei Lomani,

[FONT=&amp]Ben [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

Taken with a small pinch of salt, because I suspect this is just about getting his website/business some attention. (although I don't doubt he's genuine)

I think he's right to an extent that we don't really expect enough from our players basic skills, but I think it's quite a stretch to say they haven't improved in 30-40 years.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
He's had a fair bit to say since leaving Fiji.

I'd agree that we don't want to see size triumph over skill, albeit there should always be a place for the caveman. The 30 - 40 year thing is nonsense, certainly up front - forwards' skills have improved out of all recognition since the game went pro - could Wade Dooley or Jeff Probyn even spell carry? He may have a bit of a point behind the scrum - there's less space so there's more bosh and I do certainly wince at the number of butchered overlaps and imprecise or aimless passes.

Some skills have improved over 30-40 years but i see what he is getting at

He's had a fair bit to say since leaving Fiji.

I'd agree that we don't want to see size triumph over skill, albeit there should always be a place for the caveman. The 30 - 40 year thing is nonsense, certainly up front - forwards' skills have improved out of all recognition since the game went pro - could Wade Dooley or Jeff Probyn even spell carry? He may have a bit of a point behind the scrum - there's less space so there's more bosh and I do certainly wince at the number of butchered overlaps and imprecise or aimless passes.

like you mentioned it's space that is the biggest difference

now that rugby players are full time professionals the athletic ability has increased 10 fold and they can close down much quicker

what i'm amazed at watching old games is how little time the scrum-half had but how much time the backline had even with less forgiving offsides lines at scrums and such

today the scrumhalf has all the time in the world but after that the pass has to be made right away

i'd say skill has probably increased but the size and speed of players has increased much more than the skill so it can't be shown as much

- - - Updated - - -

i do like that he mentioned basketball since i think rugby is due for a similar type of transformation that happened in the NBA about 8 years ago

the NBA used to be a god awful sport where each team would have only 2 defenders (1 inside and 1 perimeter), two guys who could score, and one that could rebound... the 3 pt shot was a rarity and teams played at a real slow pace and since only two guys on the court could score teams would just sag off the other guys, it was essentially watching 2 on 5 and we would see scores in the 70s and 80s

since then players of all sizes have developed the ability to score both inside and outside (4 guys on the court can shoot threes for some teams) and it's a rarity to see a guy who can't play defense get significant minutes

positions mean almost nothing in basketball since players of all sizes can have whatever skills so matchups are more about who has the tools to stop who, not what position they play

you kind of see that happening in rugby right now, forwards are more comfortable with ball in hand as well as kicking (new zealand this is very evident, but you can see it in the northern hemisphere as well)
additionally backs are seen jackaling and being strong ball carriers so positions are starting to mean less in open play

Latest posts