Berrick Barnes's World Cup and Career in doubt

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
MELBOURNE, June 14 (Reuters) - Berrick Barnes's World Cup hopes may be dashed and his career cut short after severe concussion and headaches stemming from head-knocks prompted the Australia utility back to announce an indefinite break from the game on Tuesday.
The versatile 25-year-old, who would have been a certainty for Robbie Deans's squad for the World Cup in New Zealand starting in September, suffered another splintering headache after coming off in the first half of the New South Wales Waratahs' 33-7 win over the Highlanders on Saturday.
After consulting a neurosurgeon, Barnes pulled the pin on his season for the Sydney-based Super rugby side but said he still held hope of proving his fitness in time for the release of the Wallabies' World Cup squad, expected July 10.
"It's certainly a goal of mine and something I'd love to be a part of but at the moment it's not at the forefront of my mind," Barnes told reporters in Sydney.
"It's about getting myself right and being able to perform exercise of a physical nature without suffering any of this sort of stuff.
"I'm not hiding from the fact that I've been a bit frustrated and anxious about things and that's probably causing some of the issues I'm having as well.
"So to get away from the environment just for a little bit is probably going to be pretty beneficial in that respect."
Barnes, who can play flyhalf and inside centre, said earlier this month he wanted to be allowed to wear boxing-style head gear to protect himself after missing two matches for the Waratahs this season due to concussion and another for a migraine.
The long-term effects of head injuries are a growing concern in all contact sports and the International Rugby Board issued new guidelines on the treatment of concussion last month.
In Australia, the issue was brought into focus earlier this year when former Australian Rules footballer Daniel Bell lodged a claim for compensation after being diagnosed with brain damage linked to concussions he sustained while playing.
A spokesman for the Australian Rugby Union would not comment specifically on Barnes's problem, but said his hopes to wear more protective head gear was a matter between the player and the IRB.
Coach Deans said in a statement that he supported Barnes's decision.
"How long Berrick is out for will determine what happens next, as far as his career is concerned, but no one will be rushing him," Deans said.
"It is important that Berrick takes all of the time that he needs to overcome this issue, and that he is ready both physically and mentally, before he even thinks about playing the game again."
BLURRED VISION
Barnes has previously expressed wariness about sacrificing his long-term health for his rugby career and medical experts cast doubt on the Wallaby's ability to recover and make a return to the top-flight.
"There's not enough research out there that there is a definite short-term solution for such cases," Dr Peter Larkins, a Melbourne-based sports medicine expert, told Reuters.
"We've still got many more questions than we do solutions ... It is very difficult (for players) to just turn it around."
"It's a challenge for him."
Barnes's troubles recall those suffered by former Wallabies back Elton Flatley, who retired prematurely from all forms of the game in 2006 at the age of 28 after suffering blurred vision among other concussion-related complications later in his career.
"He will be receiving excellent medical advice and he will be guided by their opinions, but deep down Berrick will know his own health and he has to be true to that," Flatley said in comments published by the Australian newspaper on Tuesday.
"I got (head) hits in games that normally wouldn't affect you, but they started to affect me. I started to hesitate about going into contact.
"At the time it was a very big, emotional decision ... Sometimes you are so consumed by it (rugby) you don't realise what else is out there."
Barnes's loss comes as a further blow for the post-season hopes of the injury-hit Waratahs, who need victory at home against the ACT Brumbies on Saturday in the regular season's last round to secure a top six playoff berth.
The side have already lost Wallabies winger Drew Mitchell and number eight Wycliff Palu for the season, while front-rowers Benn Robinson and Tatafu Polota-Nau are doubts to play the Brumbies.
http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/9638224/groggy-barness-world-cup-career-in-doubt/

Real shame for him. It add further fuel to the boxing headgear he was after, especially considering he is only 25. Hope to see him return but only if he can do so safely.

Latest posts