Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France

• Other

• Total voters
C

ChiefsFan

Out of the current back threes in World Rugby (being two wingers and fullback) who do you think rate as the highest? I'd say there's none better than that of Muliaina, Rokocoko and Sivivatu. They've all got good hands (Sivivatu's improved bucketloads) and they can all create something from nothing. Sorry, If some are insulted by my poll choices, the NH teams seem to juggle their back three around so much I never see the same three twice.

Without trying to sound like an arrogant prick, NZ win this hands down. I'd say all 3 of them individually beat any other player in the world. This morning proved this. Every time either Mils, Joe or Siti touched the ball they made in roads. Ireland looked like a bunch of school boys trying to tackle them. Mils never fumbles at the back, he is rock solid and this morning proved he is the premier no. 15 in the world.

No doubt NZ has the best back 3 combination in the world. Wales must be ******** themselves at the prospect of having to shut them down in a weeks time. Byrne, Williams and Halfpence sure have a task on their hands.

Have to give this one to NZ,they have the most experienced back three out of the whole lot.

I remember saying on here when people up north were complaining about the kicking fests occuring due to the ELVs, that teams would stop kicking aimlessly when they came up against a NZ back 3.
Lets see...

NZ easily, all three are superstars/match winners while Australias only got one geneuine superstar in Tiquri but hes faded away in the past few years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 16 2008, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No doubt NZ has the best back 3 combination in the world. Wales must be ******** themselves at the prospect of having to shut them down in a weeks time. Byrne, Williams and Halfpence sure have a task on their hands.[/b]
I love how everyone underestimates Byrne.
He then puts in a faultless performance under the high ball, causes the opposition hell in attack, and punts the ball fifty metres per strike.
And he's still not rated...
Ah well, I'm not going to say anymore because I'll no doubt be forced to eat my words next week...

Yea easily the All Black back three. I rate Sivivatu as the most creative and skillful winger in world rugby, i really love watching him. Joe is awesome to, a bit more of a carrier,plenty of pace but imo doesnt have as much gamebreaking skill as Sivi. Mils is rock solid always, takes good hard lines,rarely makes a mistake and reads the game superbly. So yea no doubt, on another point, ive been really impressed Pietersen really, he makes some big hits, good under the high ball etc.. He's sort of like Hynes for Australia, not a flashy player but does his job very well.

I feel obliged to stand up and argue for the sake of my Welsh brothers.
Halfpenny is a youngester and is already causing huge trouble over the field. Williams is a legend in this country, our highest ever try scorer and i think he's scored against every country he's ever played against (not even Lomu can say that!) And Lee Byrne is having a f***ing stormer the past few seasons. He made one mistake against South Africa, literally one mistake and that was a knock on (granted it was at a crucial time, but still! LOL) He's got a huge boot on him, he's quick, strong and is ridiculously reliable under a high ball. He's saved our arses many a time!

However, i still pick NZs back 3. Lol.
They get given ball on a great platform thanks to world class centres and they execute magnificently. But even when there's nothing on they seem to create something out of nothing. Not only will they cross the gain line, but they'll make 20/30 metres. Kick down their throat and they'll make you pay.
Kick to touch, they take a quick lineout...they make you pay.
And the one thing people very rarely talk about is their defence. The NZ wingers are so strong, quick to cover and when they have to they scramble brilliantly always assured that they'll have support as well if they're in trouble.

The NZ3 get my vote, which angers my biased brain that says i should chose the Wales3.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Nov 17 2008, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wairarapa_cullen @ Nov 16 2008, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No doubt NZ has the best back 3 combination in the world. Wales must be ******** themselves at the prospect of having to shut them down in a weeks time. Byrne, Williams and Halfpence sure have a task on their hands.[/b]
I love how everyone underestimates Byrne.
He then puts in a faultless performance under the high ball, causes the opposition hell in attack, and punts the ball fifty metres per strike.
And he's still not rated...
Ah well, I'm not going to say anymore because I'll no doubt be forced to eat my words next week...
[/b][/quote]

I very much like Byrne as a player. He is the best 15 in the NH by a long way. He is great under the high ball but loses out to Muliaina as his capabilities in attacking, counter attacking, reading of the game and defensive ability are not of the same standard.

All of these back threes look good on attack so I chose mine on defence....I see the NZ back three as having an edge on defence compared to the others.  Australia are good on defence but I would rather have preferred Latham as a defender than AAC.  South Africa have got Habana who is often confused when defending as he tends to go for intercepts...the amount of times people have thrown dummies and Habana has fallen for it makes his side on defence a bit weak.  Wales have a weakness in Williams when they defend as he gets pushed around a lot and swatted aside....he gives up too many metres.  England are good but sometimes Sackey gets lazy in cover when the opposition make a break.  Ireland have good tacklers at the back but it is their positional sense that sometimes gets them in trouble.  Scotland have wingers who may lack that bit of pace to cover and Lamont may be losing his form a bit.  France are good when it comes to covering but it is their strength in the tackle that lets them down at times.  

In saying this NZ does not have the perfect back three when defending.  All three of the NZ players have been known to miss tackles.  However compared to other international back threes the NZ triplet is slightly safer on defence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rodri_arg91 @ Nov 16 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I lke France's back three.[/b]

As pointed out in one the first post of this thread there's no stable back three at the moment at least in the French team, I would rate quite high Toulouse back three Heymans, Médard (FB), Clerc or ASM one Malzieu, Baby, Rougerie but they have both of them suffered of injuries ans as far as France are concerned I fear we'll have to wait until next 6N end to find out if Lièvremont has stabilized it.

Otherwise in the above list I like the Australian back three although the best one should be NZ's. I've never been convinced by SA's backs maybe because typical SA's brand of Rugby is very much centered around the physicality of their forwards.

Muliaina is far and away the best fullback in World Rugby. Saw him up close on Saturday and thought he was brilliant. Any back three with him in it gets my vote.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 17 2008, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Muliaina is far and away the best fullback in World Rugby. Saw him up close on Saturday and thought he was brilliant. Any back three with him in it gets my vote.[/b]

Even in an England team with Sackey and (because he spends his life farting about on the wing) Lee Mears?

Yes, that's right, it was sarcasm...

NZ, there a solid team, I also think you made a mistake by switching the SA and AUS teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 18 2008, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rodri_arg91 @ Nov 16 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As pointed out in one the first post of this thread there's no stable back three at the moment at least in the French team, I would rate quite high Toulouse back three Heymans, Médard (FB), Clerc or ASM one Malzieu, Baby, Rougerie
[/b][/quote]
I have never had faith in Rougerie as a defender....when he meets real speed he can look very ordinary.  I do like the speed of Heymans and Clerc...though sometimes they remind me of the physicality of Corey Jane from New Zealand....Jane is good but not yet in the same class as Mils/Sivi/Roko/Toeava...I mean...he can't even catch a ball to fall over the line for a try.  Heymans and Clerc seem like a continuation of Phillipe Saint Andre and to a lesser extent Dominici.  Lots of flair and speed but not the physical presence.  This is in stark contrast to the New Zealand outside backs who tend to be big and fast (Sivi/Roko/Gear/Gear/Lomu/Kirwan).  Muliaiina and Toeava would be seen as the smallest outside backs NZ has had recently but they don't lack in their physical approach.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 17 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 18 2008, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rodri_arg91 @ Nov 16 2008, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As pointed out in one the first post of this thread there's no stable back three at the moment at least in the French team, I would rate quite high Toulouse back three Heymans, Médard (FB), Clerc or ASM one Malzieu, Baby, Rougerie
[/b][/quote]
I have never had faith in Rougerie as a defender....when he meets real speed he can look very ordinary.  I do like the speed of Heymans and Clerc...though sometimes they remind me of the physicality of Corey Jane from New Zealand....Jane is good but not yet in the same class as Mils/Sivi/Roko/Toeava...I mean...he can't even catch a ball to fall over the line for a try.  Heymans and Clerc seem like a continuation of Phillipe Saint Andre and to a lesser extent Dominici.  Lots of flair and speed but not the physical presence.  This is in stark contrast to the New Zealand outside backs who tend to be big and fast (Sivi/Roko/Gear/Gear/Lomu/Kirwan).  Muliaiina and Toeava would be seen as the smallest outside backs NZ has had recently but they don't lack in their physical approach.
[/b][/quote]
Saint-Andre was an extremely physical wing and nothing like Dominici. I watched him for the time he was with Glos and his main attribute was pace and power. he was no Lomu but certainly one of the stronger wingers the NH has produced. I was told he could bench press more than all of the forwards exept Junior Paramore during his Glos days.
NZ back 3 for me and anyone who thinks otherwise is just being biased.

Latest posts