• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best Fullback in the World

superrprop

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Since there's best winger I didn't want their middle man to feel left out. Also with the new laws they've become much more important as they are the catalyts for 90% of counterattacks. As I've often reiterated I think it's Isa Nacewa but I'm sure some of you will (quite angrily) disagree. I'll also save cmac95 some hassle and say for him that it's o'connor.

You're 21 stop trying to be a dad also you'd have to know him then you'd understand and consider me a saint for not ripping his head off.:eek:

You're 21 stop trying to be a dad also you'd have to know him then you'd understand and consider me a saint for not ripping his head off.:eek:

Mate pipe down and respect members regardless if you know them off the board.

Okey doke just wanna (for once) get back to topic and hear peoples opinion.

Don't start talking **** and stay on topic in the first place then.
And to answer your question.... I think I'd have to go Kurtley atm.

Kurtley is great in attack, but my (biased) pick goes for Foden. Probably the most solid English player around and he shone in the AIs

I'd have either Toeava, Jane, Foden or Beale as best fullback. I think on just freakish talent, Tim Nanai-Williams has to be up there, can't wait for Mils to leave so he gets more game time at the Chiefs.

It's quite a hard choice in my opinion. If we are talking 'best in the world' I think you really need to judge players based on international rugby (as this is really the true test of a player), hence I wouldn't consider players such as Isa Nacewa (or Highlanders star Ben Smith ;) ). In terms of international performances over the last year I would give it to Kurtley Beale, with Mils Muliaina and Ben Foden not far behind.

Not sure why Jane is getting so many votes. He is usually amongst the best NZ fullbacks during the Super Rugby season, though I don't think he's ever been the standout fullback. Though he has played very well for the AB's, he's played almost all his international rugby on the wing. If we were rating NZ fullbacks on Super Rugby form this season he would be lucky to be in the top 5 NZ fullbacks; he would certainly be miles behind both Ben Smith and Toeava. He hasn't even been the best fullback at the Hurricanes this year, with Andre Taylor looking more impressive than Cory Jane when he's been given his chance in the 15 jersey!

Not sure why Jane is getting so many votes. He is usually amongst the best NZ fullbacks during the Super Rugby season, though I don't think he's ever been the standout fullback. Though he has played very well for the AB's, he's played almost all his international rugby on the wing. If we were rating NZ fullbacks on Super Rugby form this season he would be lucky to be in the top 5 NZ fullbacks; he would certainly be miles behind both Ben Smith and Toeava. He hasn't even been the best fullback at the Hurricanes this year, with Andre Taylor looking more impressive than Cory Jane when he's been given his chance in the 15 jersey!

This year he has been injured for a lot of the time, and in a very crappy side. In 2009 he was by far the standout fullback in world rugby, and he was more of a make-do winger that had a lot of success. Always been a better fullback than winger in my opinion.

This year he has been injured for a lot of the time, and in a very crappy side. In 2009 he was by far the standout fullback in world rugby, and he was more of a make-do winger that had a lot of success. Always been a better fullback than winger in my opinion.

Can't agree that Jane was the standout fullback in the world in 2009. Jane did have a very good Super 14 in 2009, but he certainly wasn't the best NZ fullback on display in my opinion; that would have been Mils Muliaina. Muliaina lead the Chiefs team to the final of the Super 14, and was awarded the NZ Super 14 Player of the Year award at the Steinlager Rugby awards.

Jane only played one test match for the AB's in 2009 at fullback (versus Italy), and played the rest of his AB's tests on the wing. I certainly think he was one of the standout wings in international rugby in 2009 (if not the standout), but I think it's a huge stretch to suggest that made him the standout fullback. Being arguably the best wing in the world (two years ago...) doesn't make him the currently the best fullback in my opinion. Not saying he's not a good player, indeed I rate Jane very highly. I really hope we see him get back to his best form for the Hurricanes, as I think he will be an important player in the AB's RWC squad.

Latest posts