• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best Helmet for Protection

SonTackler

Academy Player
What Rugby helmet would you recommend if protection was the only factor. (I do not care about heat and ventilation. Not even price is a factor.) There are no stores with Rugby equipment in my area. So I can not compare any. Honestly, this is for my kid to play soccer in. (He does have some history of head injuries.)

1. So I was considering the Gilbert Virtuo (which seems to offer more coverage than the Cantebury Airflow and Ventilator)

2. Full90 FN1, Soccer helmet, http://full90.com/fn1/ . I do have one. The pad looks like it is 1 cm, but being that it is sewed onto a thin canvas material, the helmet is about 1.3 cm thick. But it does not provide as much coverage as a Rugby helmet.

3. But I also read some good things about Adidas.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Probably best off with that football one, the padding is a lot thicker than any rugby one (0.5cm max).
Realistically rugby headguards stop cuts and cauliflower ears rather than concussions.

Realistically rugby headguards stop cuts and cauliflower ears rather than concussions.

+1

Unless your kid has had some sort of skull fracture or you are worried about cuts, these "helmets" don't do anything significant.
They are primarily used to stop ears from being torn off.

All rugby padding has to be below .5cm in thickness - so there won't be any real difference in protection between the helmets at all other than converage, style and comfort/fit.

I would suggest that this one will be the least intrusive on his spacial awareness/vision, and therefore the "safest", if you don't go for the football one: http://www.canterbury.com/junior-airflow-headguard-black-p15663

Probably best off with that football one, the padding is a lot thicker than any rugby one (0.5cm max).

And a rugby helmet can give the wearer a false sense of security, which may make him or her more likely to play recklessly, leading to greater injury.

I can't help but think that if your child has a history of head injuries, it may just be best for him to find a new sport that doesn't involve heading a ball, or risk so many head clashes. I know it may be hard to keep him from the sports he loves, but medical experts are suggesting that head injuries in children have far greater consequences than once thought.

das

Thank you so very much for posting. Yeah, someone else told me that the maximum non-compressed thickness was 1 cm. So thank you for the info.

I find the best are durex ribbed for her pleasure.

I wore a scrum cap when I played front row and second row, currently a back rower and don't wear one, Don't know much about the football ones but rats suggestion is good brother used to wear that one and he was fine with it until he ended up looking like Adam jones with hi hair.

If it's for football (soccer in some places) wouldn't it be better off using Petr Cechs head guard ? As it has served him well during the time he has wore it.

Latest posts