Best Lineout Forward

• Total voters

superprop

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
IMO slightly underrated skill. Very important ecspecially for teams like Ireland where most attacks are launched of first phase attack. I think it's between O'Connell and Matfield(just counting since lifting was made legal). I think O'Connell shades it. In fact Matfield has named him his greatest opponent. Look at the lineout in Ireland v South Africa 09 (where he learned some Affrikaans) and Ireland v South Africa.10

Remind me if I left anyone out.

Matfield in his prime is head and shoulders above POC.

Literally. Thats because Matfield is 6 10 compared to O'Connelll's 6 6 which I think makes him more impressive. Also Gatland called him the smartest lineout forward he had ever worked with. Though of course he never worked with Matfield.

Literally. Thats because Matfield is 6 10 compared to O'Connelll's 6 6 which I think makes him more impressive. Also Gatland called him the smartest lineout forward he had ever worked with. Though of course he never worked with Matfield.

Matfield is 2m, which is 6' 6.5"

Where are you getting that stat from? Every source I've got says 6 10 matchday programmes, rugby games and even an interveiw with him.

I don't know where Australia would be without Nathan Sharpe in the line out, he is pretty good. But yea, Matfield probably takes it overall.

Sorry didn't realise that. But he's not 6 5 do the math 200cm is 6 6 still think PO'C is better. I can see why you'd pick Matfield though.

Andries Bekker, who is actually 6'10", is not bad.
Every lineout v Sharks they threw it to him and we couldn't get close.

Latest posts