• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best possible Lions squad.

P

Prestwick

Right enough of the negative ninnys and cynical sams amongst you, lets all argue about the best Lions squad these sceptered isles can offer!

I think I'd like to include Iain Balshaw. Not in any playing capacity, but to make him sit in the stands and watch the adults play proper rugby.

Just as long as Vainikolo is not even mentioned for a place in the team, then I'm sure everything will be sweet for the Lions...until they get pumped by SA of course.

Who do you think will captain this time around?

A Ryan Jones / Jason White combo would have a safe factor of: "Safe as f***"

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS! [/b]

*Stupid laughing cat thing removed due to it annoying everyone and making the entire thread unbearable.*

SFW

Can a mod please get rid of that f***ing thing!

Anyway this is Stuart Barnes' team of the week with only two non-eligible for the lions players

Six Nations team of the weekend
1 Andrew Sheridan â€" He tortured Nicholas Mas in the scrums, surged around the park in much the same way as he did during the World Cup. One of the few Englishmen who would push (and make) a World XV

2 Dmitri Szarsewski- In a pack that was pummelled for large parts, his accuracy at the line out and his powerful running stood out. His angled run which led to the sole French try was a reminder of just what England are lacking from a modern mobile hooker.

3 Phil Vickery â€" Again Vickery loomed large in Paris. His leadership was calm in the build up to the game and inspirational off it. The presence of Matt Stevens on the bench has lifted his game. Brian Ashton’s decision to maintain him as captain looked sound enough yesterday.

4 Nathan Hines â€" He terrorised poor Bernard Jackman in the early line out phases and managed to keep Scotland on the front foot through most of the first half with the subtlety of his off loading game. Less subtle is his inability to keep a lid on his temper at key moments. One reversed penalty when Scotland was on the Ireland line will haunt Frank Hadden; still, at least he cares.

5 Lionel Nallet - His tactical skills were tested and found wanting but the heart was huge and along with Julian Bonnaire helped keep the English line out under pressure. Few home fans doubted that he deserved his try which will have been absolutely no compensation to this strong man.

6 Jonathon Thomas â€" Several surging runs and a tough battling performance on the floor and in the aerial battles ensured that the Ospreys back row forward maintained his high reputation as a fine foil to Martyn Williams.

7 David Wallace â€" His speed and strength has been a regular fixture of this Irish team for several years. Through the lean recent times he was always one of Ireland’s best and now that they are coming back, he remains influential as his try and hard running game indicated.

8 Jamie Heaslip â€" Eddie O’ Sullivan’s belated decision to select him after the sluggish performance against Italy is one of his better selection calls. He has added an injection of pace from the moment he took the field in Paris and was another handful as he rampaged around the field yesterday. Ryan Jones has a contender for the Lions Number Eight berth if both men stay fit.

9 Richard Wigglesworth â€" Scored a try but more importantly, kept his composure and a steady stream of quick accurate passes to his fly half. Defensively sound as well, the only question after Saturday was why did England wait to start him?

10 Ronan O’ Gara â€" The Irish attacking show revolved around their fly half. If O’ Gara is bad, Ireland are terrible, if he keeps the form he is in for another fortnight, Wales have a few problems on their hands if they are to win a Grand Slam.

11 Shane Williams â€" Love him or loathe him...oh what the hell, who can do anything but love him. If he stops turning over ball the man is going to be remembered as a great Welsh wing. Nobody makes a one on one situation look easier than Williams. The man is a national treasure.

12 Andrew Trimble â€" He picked some great running lines in attack and was a force in defence. Playing between O’ Gara and O’ Driscoll, the Ulster man looked anything but out of place. It may be heretical to suggest as much but Ireland looked better with him alongside their captain than with the injured and out of sorts Gordon D’Arcy.

13 Brian O’ Driscoll â€" Some way still from his world standard setting vintage but as aggressively excellent as ever in defence and his role in the Rob Kearney try was a delightful one. There is much more to come from one of the world’s best players who has been out of form for too long.

14 Tommy Bowe â€" Another beneficiary of O’ Gara and his midfield’s sharpness; a voracious appetite for work off his wing and clear proof that he has the power, pace and running lines to score a lot of test match tries.

15 Lee Byrne â€" The full back has blossomed into the most accomplished of performers. Confident, quick, strong with a boot that hurts as much as his well timed counter attacks, he must be the most improved player in Wales. The talent has always been present and now it is all coming together Wales have quite some full back.

No bias there at all MunsterMan? :huh:

Best possible would be:

1) Sheridan
2) Szarzeski (sp?)
3) Vickery
4) Doncha O'Callahan
5) Alun WJ
6) Denis Leamy
7) Martyn Williams
8) Ryan Jones
9) Dwayne Peel / Reddan
10) Stephen Jones / Hook / O'Gara
11) Shane
12) Henson
13) O'Driscoll
14) Rory / Sean Lamont
15) Lee Byrne

Also Prestwick, I didn't get to see that cat so I'm slightly disappointed. PM it to me, pronto.

Best possible would be:

1) Sheridan
2) Szarzeski (sp?)
3) Vickery
4) Doncha O'Callahan
5) Alun WJ
6) Denis Leamy
7) Martyn Williams
8) Ryan Jones
9) Dwayne Peel / Reddan
11) Shane
12) Henson
13) O'Driscoll
14) Rory / Sean Lamont
15) Lee Byrne

Also Prestwick, I didn't get to see that cat so I'm slightly disappointed. PM it to me, pronto.
[/b]

French hooker eh? Thats a real left field choice for the BRITISH Lions.

That was Stuart Barnes' six nations team of the week, not my picks. :p also Szarsewski is french.

[/b]

British and Irish Lions ;)

Sadly it was mite who put it up and webby who took it down. Unless my name is suddenly spelled sfw of course.

Why are people including frenchmen? There is a reason why its called the lions. Make it a wholly european venture and you lose the tag lions.

<div class='quotemain'>

Best possible would be:

1) Sheridan
2) Szarzeski (sp?)
3) Vickery
4) Doncha O'Callahan
5) Alun WJ
6) Denis Leamy
7) Martyn Williams
8) Ryan Jones
9) Dwayne Peel / Reddan
11) Shane
12) Henson
13) O'Driscoll
14) Rory / Sean Lamont
15) Lee Byrne

[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Why yes it is. :eek: I looked at MM's post and got confused. I guess I'd put Bennett there instead. :unsure:

Sorry about that, I should have been clear in saying that it was Stuart Barnes' Six Nations Team of the Week.

That was Stuart Barnes' six nations team of the week, not my picks. :p also Szarsewski is french.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

British and Irish Lions ;) [/b][/quote]

Bit of a mouthful really just stick with the Lions / British Lions ;)

My team would be:
1 Sheridan
2 Flannery
3 Vickery
4 O`Callaghan
5 O`Connell (once fit)
6 Haskell
7 wallace
8 Jones
9 Peel
10 Wilkinson
11 Williams
12 O`Driscoll
13 Tindall
14 Simpson-daniel(I`ll be slated for that one but stand by it)
15 Lewsey

My team would be:
1 Sheridan
2 Harteley(sp.)
3 Vickery
4 Kennedy
5 Borthwick
6 Haskell
7 Croft
8 Easter
9 Care
10 Wilkinson
11 Volcano
12 Flood
13 Tindall
14 Strettle
15 Cipriani

I would then let a few Celts go as Dirtrackers and have the Scots as ballboys. :D

My team would be:
1 Sheridan
2 Harteley(sp.)
3 Vickery
4 Kennedy
5 Borthwick
6 Haskell
7 Croft
8 Easter
9 Care
10 Wilkinson
11 Volcano
12 Flood
13 Tindall
14 Strettle
15 Cipriani

I would then let a few Celts go as Dirtrackers and have the Scots as ballboys. :D
[/b]

stop. you are making a dick of yourself.

Latest posts