Best Rugby Nicknames

Rich Taff

First XV
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Cardiff
Two that spring to mind are...

John Eales - 'Nobody' (because nobody's perfect)
Billy Twelvetrees - '36' (allocated by the Irish players apparently, because twelve trees are tirty six)

Ryan Kankowski's nickname is "The Hoff" because he looks like David Hasselhoff

Cian Healy: Proper Church
Rob Kearney: Robnoxious Carnage
Sean O'Brien: Tullow Tank (because he's from Tullow)

Cian Healy: Proper Church
Rob Kearney: Robnoxious Kearndashian
Sean O'Brien: Tullow Tank (because he's from Tullow)

FTFY

Not a nickname as such, but I am fully embracing the campaign to rename the RDS 'Madigan Square Gardens' in honour of our 10.

Quade Cooper's nickname while in NZ is "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Quade Cooper's nickname while in NZ is "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

... LOL ... I hear he has a similar nick name in New South Wales :) ... that's definitely his PC nick name ... I would tell you some of the others, but my Mum would probably wash my mouth out with soap if I did :)

... I liked "Homeless", for Adam Kleeberger, before he shaved his beard off :)

Ex-All Black, and Wellington lock, Chris Tregaskis, had the uncharitable nickname of Ciggy (in some circles), which had some correlation between the length of a cigarette butt, and his perceived lineout jumping ability :)

... Another ex- All Black lock, Mark Cooksley had the nickname "Rigger", which was apparently some reference to the length of his third leg :)

... Another ex- All Black lock, Mark Cooksley had the nickname "Rigger", which was apparently some reference to the length of his third leg :)

Former Manawatu and All Blacks Flanker, Kevin Everleigh was known as "Hayburner" due to his speed around the track and resemblance to a racehorse.

Most people know that Steve Hansen is known as "Shag" but not many realise that it was Steve Tew who gave him that nickname.

My personal favourite is ex Wallaby Stephen Larkham, nicknamed "Bernie", so named because his immobile unsmiling demeanour was somewhat similar to the ***le character in the movie "Weekend at Bernie's" (for those who haven't seen it, "Bernie: was the dead body of a mobster.)

My personal favourite is ex Wallaby Stephen Larkham, nicknamed "Bernie", so named because his immobile unsmiling demeanour was somewhat similar to the ***le character in the movie "Weekend at Bernie's" (for those who haven't seen it, "Bernie: was the dead body of a mobster.)

Hahaha, I have heard him called Bernie but never knew the reason. That is a good one.

Marmuka Gorgodze: Gorgodzilla (cause he's a beast...)

One Sky commentator's been told to stop saying it because he uses it too much, forget which one.

"L'homme des cavernes" (French for "The Caveman") = Sebastien Chabal, France
"Billy Whizz" = Jason Robinson, England
"Chiliboy" = Mahlatse Ralepelle, SA
"Alfie" = Gareth Thomas, Wales
"Bakkies" = John Botha, SA
"The Beast" = Tendai Mtawarira, SA
"Big Ben" = Ben Cohen, England
"The Fun Bus" = Jason Leonard, England
"Ginger Monster" = Neil Jenkins, Wales
"Johnno" = Martin Johnson, England
"L'incomparable" = Philippe Sella, France
"The King" = Barry John, Wales
"Le levrier palois" (French for "The Pau sight hound") = Philippe Bernat-Salles, France
"The Little Corporal" = Jacques Fouroux, France
"The Maestro" = Waisale Serevi, Fiji
"El Mago" (Spanish, "The Magician") = Juan Martín Hernández, Argentina
"Monty" = Percy Montgomery, SA
"Mossy" = Chris Paterson, Scotland
"Naas" = Hendrik Botha, SA
"Le Pelé du rugby" (French, "The Pelé of Rugby") = Serge Blanco, France
"The Prince" = Gareth Edwards, Wales
"The Raging Potato" = Keith Wood, Ireland
"Uncle Fester" = Keith Wood, Ireland
"Volcano" = Lesley Vainikolo, England (born in Tonga)
"Wilko" = Jonny Wilkinson, England
"The Wizard" = Waisale Serevi, Fiji
"Z" or "Zee" = Takudzwa Ngwenya

Last edited:

Latest posts