• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best SR player - Regular Season

Who has been the best SR player at the Regular Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
Who has been the best SR player at the Regular Season?

With just one round to the end of the regular season. Who has been the best SR player at the Regular Season?

Ardie Savea:

150610061252403900.jpg

Nehe Milner-Skudder:

150610061244198307.jpg

Waisake Naholo:

150610061250695004.jpg

Ma'a Nonu:

150610061840288122.jpg

Nemani Nadolo:

150610062354390514.jpg

Damian de Allende:

150610061842349659.jpg

Lima Sopoaga:

150610061258473232.jpg

Scott Higginbotham:

150610061246233832.jpg

Beauden Barrett:

150610061254165762.jpg

Last edited:
BEN SMITH

Soponga and naholo can only play as freely as they do knowing smith is covering them if all goes pear shaped, add to that his perfect timing into the back line to create the space for naholo

BEN SMITH

Soponga and naholo can only play as freely as they do knowing smith is covering them if all goes pear shaped, add to that his perfect timing into the back line to create the space for naholo

Agreed. Ben Smith. Highlanders aren't bad around the park, but with out him we would be midtable/lower table. In the games he hasn't played we have looked simply terrible. Brumbies and Hurricanes game comes to mind. He is easily one of the best players in the world, if not the best.

Nemani Nadolo
Beauden Barret
Israel Folau
Wasaki Naholo
Vincent Koch
Steven Kitshoff
Sam Whitelock if only fot *that* try
Ardie Savea
Warren Whiteley
Damian de Allende
Jaco Kriel
Ma'a Nonu
Cobus Reinach
Frans Malherbe
Augustine Pulu
Pat Lambie

Have all been my stand out players for the season though I wouldn't put all of them ahead of regular encumbants in their test teams.

Shame on you Conrad!

Where the hell is Jaco Kriel???

There are only 10 places in the survey and the Kiwis deserve most of the cake. They have crushed ALL the teams this year.

For this reason I created the last option :thumbup:

Almost the entire Canes team deserved to be in the options.

interesting how there are 0 chiefs players in the poll when they are 2nd on the table.

kinda bias to flashy players & finishers.

Liam Messam and Cam Cane are my nominations from the chiefs. With Michael Leitch they have been an absolute epic loose trio.

I will say I've been extremely impressed with Damian de Allende - for me he looks the most dangerous South African midfielder.

interesting how there are 0 chiefs players in the poll when they are 2nd on the table.

kinda bias to flashy players & finishers.

Liam Messam and Cam Cane are my nominations from the chiefs. With Michael Leitch they have been an absolute epic loose trio.

Again. There are only 10 places. I was going to pick up Liam Messam but there was no place and had too many Kiwis. I wanted to make room for some Aussies and Saffers.

Messam is severely underrated, I think he's been better than Kaino the last few years.

No way is Messam in the same league as Kaino...he constantly goes sideways in contact and has stupid moments of ill discipline (like what cost us the game vs SA). He has a good work rate but he's not as physical as Kaino or as good in the tight.

Messam is severely underrated, I think he's been better than Kaino the last few years.

Messams been good but on Kaino's level!?.... you've got to be friggin kidding me. Messams leadership for the Cheifs yes but imo Akira Ioane has been more impressive in less games and he's barely even 21.

- - - Updated - - -

How about David Pocock, Israel Folau or Nic Stirzaker?

Pocock yes but only because certain teams have let him run rampant. Israel Folau still doesnt impress me at all at fullback and Ben Smith owns him in in every aspect... Havent even noticed Nic to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

But from the players on the poll for me the best is Waisale Naholo. His consistency has been unreal. The proof is he's near or beaten Jeff Wilsons try scoring record which says it all really.

- - - Updated - - -

"QUOTE"
may 21st

Top try-scorer in the entire competition is Highlanders winger Waisake Naholo.
He sits on eight tries in his debut season for the side.
He has made 20 clean breaks, which is the top number of any player, tied with Crusaders winger Nemani Nadolo.
Naholo is fifth-best in beating defenders and third-best in metres gained. Fullback Ben Smith is sixth-best in metres gained.

Last edited:
TJ Perenara as leading try scorer up to this stage should probably also be there but I get where Conrad Smith is coming frm.

The way Naholo came onto the ball in the leadup to the Osbourne try in the HL vs blues game tonight was crazy. I hope somebody puts the replay up as I swear that ball wasnt even for him but he just gassed the **** out of it and took it off another player!

Did anybody else notice that play?? it was ridiculous...

It's been pleasing to see Waisake Naholo's progress this season. As a Taranaki supporter, his talent and potential has been known for some time but he just wasn't given a shot at the Blues, so it's great to see him on fire this season, and to hear his name genuinely mentioned in AB conversations is fantastic. He'd make a very good 14 for the All Blacks, a great compliment to Savea in 11, and I think the Samoa match + Rugby Championship will be just enough to get him into step with the AB set-up for the RWC.

Still, for mine the best has been Milner-Skudder, his footwork and carrying of the ball (in two hands at the line) is just brilliant, he has a very bright future ahead of him.

But from the players on the poll for me the best is Waisale Naholo. His consistency has been unreal. The proof is he's near or beaten Jeff Wilsons try scoring record which says it all really.

Take that with a grain of salt. Jeff Wilson was too polite to mention it, but his record (which he is still one try ahead of Naholo) was in place when it was the Super 12. We're currently on round 15 - with the Highlanders also having an additional playoff match. It puts Joe Roff's and Rico Gear's 15 tries in a Super 12 season into perspective! As it is Peranara currently leads the competition with 10 tries.

What I like about Naholo isn't just his pace and running (which has been great), it's that he's been consistent with his tackling, is very strong in contact and has shown he can identify space with his kicking game.

Only there 10 places, fellas. I thought in TJ Perenara, Julian Savea, Jeremy Trush, Izzy Folau, David Pocock, Sam Cane and others but only there 10 places.

If you don't like the 9 options then pick the last option and then write the name of the player in a message. It isn't so difficult

Its difficult to compare different playing positions when determining the "best" player as flashier positions like wing are always going to be more glamorous options with this in mind I would go, I'll also be using some stats which I know should be taken with a pinch of salt, given they mean little without context:

Fullbacks:
Honorable mentions: Milner-Skudder, Izzy Folau
My Winner: Ben Smith
While Milner-Skudder is a devastating ball runner Ben Smith has the awareness and kicking game to boot, he's really the complete fullback. Izzy doesn't get the credit he's due this season as he's scored about half the tries but has become an amazing link player to add to his own running, leading the competition in offloads, defenders beaten and second in assists.

Wings:
Honorable mentions: James Lowe, Hougard, Osborne, Naholo
My Winner: Nadolo
Naholo and Nadolo have both been equally devastating for their respective teams despite having different playing styles. Naholo is all about crazy pace and his ability to beat the man one on one, where as Nadolo is more of a battering ram, however Nadolo has developed an amazing offload to supplement his game and their respective stats for defenders beaten/clean breaks and tries are similar. Hard to separate these two but Nemani edges it due to Naholo's hands letting him down with the most handling errors this season.

Centres:
Honorable mentions: Kerevi, Ma'a Nonu
My Winner: Damien de Allende
Kerevi has had a fantastic season but maybe needs a little more time to develop as a player, as he can get lost against some opposition. The main argument here is between Nonu and de Allende, both have been fantastic but I personally feel de Allende has more of an impact for the Stormers, consistently being the star of the show, with a crazy number of defenders beaten, clean breaks and offloads. Nonu has been marginally quieter but is the better defender. I'm giving it to de Allende partly because of my man crush as well as the desire to see at least one Saffer make the back line of this dream team ;).

Flyhalf:
Honorable mentions: Sopoaga, Foley
My Winner: Barret
A lot of sides have had instability in this area and none of the saffer fly-halves have really performed consistently enough to crack it. Foley and Sopoaga are great players but for his consistent ability to be a game breaker, Barret wins.

Scrumhalf:
Honourable mentions: Nic White, Aaron Smith, Nick Stirzaker, Cobus Reinach, Faf de Klerk
My Winner: TJ Perenara
White and Smith are solid complete scrumhalves, the other three are great young talents with heaps of potential but Perenara wins this one for the same reason Barret did. Consistent ability to break other teams apart.

Maybe I'll post forward opinions later. Perhaps we can have a SR team of the competition thread? Unless it's too early.

Not too worry, Someoke. I'm sure we'll make up for it in the forwards, particularly the front and back rows should feature 2 each I'd imagine.

Latest posts