• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best Team in Each Asset

R

RxTim

I wanna see peoples views on each specific asset of rugby. Some topics (feel free to add more)

Best Scrummaging
Best Lineouts
Best Open Play
Best Tactical Kicking
Best Defense

all I know is SA has the best lineouts and the AB's probably have the best open play attacking

defence probs wales what was it two tries in the 6N

for tactical kicking im gonna throw in munster rog strikes a ball out of hand like no one for the province... for some reason

Basing my answer on the RWC 07...

Best Scrummaging: Scotland (excellent third row, and very good forwards and scrum)

Best Lineouts: South Africa (they won almost every line out with matfield and botha)

Best Open Play: New Zealand / Australia (the ab's and australia showed great open play, scoring lots of tries in the world cup)

Best Tactical Kicking: Argentina / England (Argentina scored several drop kicks and had great kicking play with Hernandez and Contepomi... England is always good at kicking)

Best Defense: Argentina/ South Africa (The Pumas conceded very few tries in the tournament, really good defense... South Africa was also great at this)

Best Scrummaging: Scotland (excellent third row, and very good forwards and scrum)[/b]

Scotland?! But they have a rubbish scrum?

They make the Wallabies scrum look good!

In my honest opinion;

Best Scrummaging: New Zealand (I have NEVER seen them get shunted, and they always win over England and SA, the other 2 big scrummaging teams)

Best Lineouts: South Africa (Matfield/Botha... nuff said)

Best Open Play: New Zealand (No explanation needed really)

Best Tactical Kicking: Argentina (This is just an assumption, based on the way they utilized this facet of play in the RWC07)

Best Defense: New Zealand (Most consistent, just look at points scored against overall)

Wairarapa-Cullen, I'd agree with your list apart from the defence and tactical kicking. South Africa has shown recently that they are the best. Perhaps if you go for the 4 years of Graham Henry's service, the AB's might be it. But right now, SA shut a lot of teams down. And Argentina kicked a lot of aimless ball in the WC, they just got away with it because for some reason teams got sucked into the chip and chase game.

<div class='quotemain'>
Best Scrummaging: Scotland (excellent third row, and very good forwards and scrum)[/b]

[/b][/quote]

yeah it depends, I think Scotland had one of the best pack of fowards of the tournament. I consider their third row to be the best one at international level, and they really have good fowards. But you're right, the "scrum" wasn't that good...I was talking about the "pack of fowards" rather than the scrum, I confused.

cheers

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

yeah it depends, I think Scotland had one of the best pack of fowards of the tournament. I consider their third row to be the best one at international level, and they really have good fowards. But you're right, the "scrum" wasn't that good...I was talking about the "pack of fowards" rather than the scrum, I confused.

cheers [/b][/quote]
Third (I assume you mean back row) row the best in the World?

LOLZA.

I would even rate them Top 5, they'd be somewhere below the Welsh.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

cheers
[/b][/quote]

Well we did shove the Argentineans off a scrum which is very rare. But i dont think our forwards are much good but i think the backrow as you say is good. White,Taylor are very good players but im not really a fan of Ally Hogg. Of course its much easier for the likes of Collins, Juan Smith etc because they are always getting front foot ball.

Wairarapa-Cullen, I'd agree with your list apart from the defence and tactical kicking. South Africa has shown recently that they are the best. Perhaps if you go for the 4 years of Graham Henry's service, the AB's might be it. But right now, SA shut a lot of teams down. And Argentina kicked a lot of aimless ball in the WC, they just got away with it because for some reason teams got sucked into the chip and chase game.
[/b]

Fair points. And yes, Argentina made a shite load of aimless kicks in the RWC but they were the tactics they employed and it worked like an absolute charm. (Example, Ireland pool match). That is all I'm basing this category on, obviously it won't work all the time for them, but most recently they have been the best at it.

Best scrum: England
Hard one to choose, but they're consistently producing good scrummagers. SA, NZ and Argentina are always up there with them though.

Best Lineout: SA
Australia have proved in the past that they can dominate there as well.

Open play: NZ
The Pacific islanders like Fiji have proved they can throw the ball around as well, but NZ tops them on rugby smarts.

Tactical kicking: SA
James and Monty's kicking game was outstanding in the WC, plus we've had some excellent tactical kickers. England (read Wilkinson) and Australia have proven themselves here before as well.

Best Defence: SA
We're world renowned in this facet. Wales defence looked good this year. NZ are also always very good defenders.

Best Scrummaging - nz. when we win a scrum, chances are its a massive blowout. i cant even remember the last time nz got completely dominated like we do to other teams.
Best Lineouts - sa. enough said in other posts. monsters of locks.
Best Open Play - nz. although the pumas are gaining, and the islanders are more dangerous - nz simply has the intelligence, disipline and talent to play it at its best
Best Tactical Kicking - sa. although the pumas are close, but sa are definatly the team to beat when a kick is needed
Best Defense - sa. you dont win wc's on bad defence. always solid. always.

Best defense Argentina. Also NewZealends Fefensive system in the world cup with kind of two lines of fefense was class
NewZealend are the best in open play Fiji propably second best though not close to NewZealend
Best lineout South Africa
Best scrum NewZealend

best gool kicker is paterson so scotland :bana:
[/b]

tactical kicking is diferent to goal kicking

Scrummager- would love to say England, but we haven't been tested against the AB's so I think NZ.
Open Play- Again would love to say Fiji as I am a huge fan of Pacific Island rugby, but when it comes to throwing the ball around, NZ have the quality backs to do it.
Best Lineout- S.A. no question I'm afraid
Tactical kicking- I can't say really- Argentina in the World Cup were spot on at this, so I'd have to say the Puma's, but S.A. were also awesome at this. Anyone who argues that the S.A. kicking game is poor is a bloody fool. Montgomery and James are class backs when it comes to this area of the game.
Best defense- Another toughie. The Welsh are very good at defending, but what do you expect with such a brilliant defense coach. Then again, there is an argument above this post saying that teams with poor defense do not win World Cups, which is so blaringly true. S.A. for now, Wales for the future on that one methinks.

What I find funny is that a lot of these assets could be damn near perfect if there was another individual involved. OK, imagine S.A. lineout with Parisse, or NZ scrum with Sheridan, or S.A. defense with Shaun Edwards. Not the discussion, agreed, yet quite an odd arrangement.

From what I saw on this RWC, these are my answers...

Best Scrummaging..SA
Best Lineouts..SA
Best Open Play..New Zealand
Best Tactical Kicking.. Australia and New Zealand
Best Defense.. SA and Samoa

Latest posts