• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

best team in europe

even though they weren't in any finals this year - historically Stade Toulousain

Historically it's Munster!

31/October/1978: Munster 12 - 0 New Zealand

Munster have also beaten the 1991 World cup Winning Wallabies side.

Historically it's Munster!

31/October/1978: Munster 12 - 0 New Zealand

Munster have also beaten the 1991 World cup Winning Wallabies side. [/b]

A once off victory against at midweek All Blacks team inspired by a Dublin-born outhalf? That makes you the best team in Europe?

From the professional era you have to look at Toulouse and Leicester and probably Bath too.

Bristol?

truthfully i reckon if its on pure meeting the moment then wasps

but on performence i'd go with leicester

but on performence i'd go with leicester [/b]

Proberbly true when you combine culmative sucesses, size of the club and the fanbase (especially as their fans very much still act the same as back in the ametur days). Close behind them I'd proberbly put Gloucester.

Stade Toulousain have won the Heineken Cup 3 times, although Leicester and Wasps are catching up with 2 wins a piece

Munster aren't a club anyway, they're a franchise.
[/b]

Province. What is it like supporting a franchise? I could support a team, a club or a province but a franchise?

Munster results against touring sides.

1963: Munster 3 - 6 New Zealand

1967: Munster 11 - 8 Australia

1973: Munster 3 - 3 New Zealand

1978: Munster 12 - 0 New Zealand

1992: Munster 21 - 19 Australia

They're owned and run by the IRFU, so it doesn't matter by what name you call it, on the rugby side of things they are a franchise no different to the rest of the Irish, Welsh, Scottish and all the S14 sides. It doesn't matter if there's a part of Ireland is also called Munster. The only clubs around that can be placed amongst the elite are English and French.

And even if they were a club, Munster still wouldn't be anywhere near the best in Europe for that matter.

<div class='quotemain'> Historically, BATH.

[/b]

Why?

[/b][/quote]

Because I said so.

In the English rugby scene, Bath & Leicester have always dominated. Only recently now in the professional era that teams like Wasps, Sale, Gloucester have emerged.

Bath won the Courage League 6 times in 10 years from 1987 to 1997. Leicester dominated the scene from then on till this year. Only they have had more wins than Bath.

The Tigers have won a total of 7 championship with Bath winning 6, but that was during the amateur days.

EDIT: I just realised that Bath dominated one decade (amateur days) while Leicester dominated the last decade (professional era).

Llanelli is a pretty big team, historically. We've spawned a great many Wales legends, and have been one of the most successful teams in Welsh rugby history.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> Historically, BATH.

[/b]

Why?

[/b][/quote]

Because I said so.

In the English rugby scene, Bath & Leicester have always dominated. Only recently now in the professional era that teams like Wasps, Sale, Gloucester have emerged.

Bath won the Courage League 6 times in 10 years from 1987 to 1997. Leicester dominated the scene from then on till this year. Only they have had more wins than Bath.

The Tigers have won a total of 7 championship with Bath winning 6, but that was during the amateur days.

EDIT: I just realised that Bath dominated one decade (amateur days) while Leicester dominated the last decade (professional era).

[/b][/quote]

Hum i can notice that you did not mention any french club :) !!!

i would say Toulouse and Leicester.

If you except the last 22 meters, Biarritz was the best this year ... but the rugby ends after the line. i've been absolutly upset by their 2 most important matches of the season : 1/4 Hcup and 1/2 top 14. how could you play so crap in the 22 !!! i don't know how many knock on and forwrd pass they've done but in these 2 matches it might aproach 50 .... pfffffff to the wall of shame

to be honest that whole semifinal Biarritz had with Stade wasn't the greatest for either team

to be honest that whole semifinal Biarritz had with Stade wasn't the greatest for either team [/b]

Indeed, hopef***ky the other semi-final was better as well as the final itself.

Latest posts