Billy Slater out of tournament?

Saints1

Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24977590

Looks like it unfortunately. The Australians can get by without him I think because in Inglis and the Hayne Train they have full backs better than you can find anywhere in the sport - and they aren't first choice!

Shame for Slater though, if he's hurt he'll never get to exorcise the demons of five years ago in all probability.

In some ways it makes them more daunting, Billy is a superstar player but GI is one of the best players I have ever seen. Hayne is just as good as GI when he's in the mood, Hopefully Thurston can go down next.

I'm not so sure it matters. At this moment in time I am 100% convinced New Zealand will retain. I have a very good feeling about that.

In some ways it makes them more daunting, Billy is a superstar player but GI is one of the best players I have ever seen. Hayne is just as good as GI when he's in the mood, Hopefully Thurston can go down next.

Yeah I think Slater is the best fullback in the world. Everytime I get wowed from some other fullback like Inglis, Tompkins or Hayne, I just watch one Melbourne Storm game and Billy just reinforces in my head why I consider him the best. He scores tries, saves his team from tries, defuses bombs and assists in tries. He's a complete back, a full definition of a fullback.

However Billy is human and Im not talking about injuries. Every now and then he makes mistakes, one that stands out for me was in the last world cup when chose to run down the sideline, got pushed out and then chucked it in for Benji to collect. With Billy gone that should see Inglis come in to look after the back which would be just great for the Roos. G.I getting more ball is probably not what the Kiwi or English defence line wants to put up with especially when they're puffing.

Very sad to see Slater wont be doing his thing for the Roos but as we know, they do have very capable replacements. Geez its so hard to see anyone beating the Roos when you think about their squad.

Last edited:
I wish I was as confident as you. I back the Kiwi's to retain as well but its pretty even really. The Kiwi's pack has a bit of an edge IMO but the Kangaroo's backs are a class above. The foward battle is usually where games are won but you can't count out a backline with GI, Thurston and Cronk.

Then there is the task of getting past a very good England side who have a lot of class in the forwards and good backs except for a weakish halves pairing. I'd rate the English forwards almost par with the Kangaroo's to be fair. Why doesn't Danny Brough play for England? I'd have him in there I reckon.

Why doesn't Danny Brough play for England? I'd have him in there I reckon.

He'd be better than Rangi Chase. They probably went with Chase 'cos he's Maori and they mustve thought that he was a future superstar and hope'd he come right but Im not sure about that one.

McNamara has personal issues with Brough, he should be our 7 without question.

It's terrible to see Slater out, and although I'm a huge fan of the 1/7/9 combination of Melbourne's Slater, Cronk and Smith, I'm very much looking forward to seeing Inglis line up at fullback.

A couple of years ago I may have worried about Australia or Qld losing potency in attack, however the above mentioned combination is not what it once was. Smith is tired and it seems Slater is being read like a book when it comes to many of the inside balls - either that or it looks like he regularly has his timing out.

Either way, Inglis is a **** hot fullback and Hayne will rip it up in the centres with Tate (assuming Tate is named of course).

Latest posts