Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Bismarck to undergo surgery
f17770b8298b4ec9a6bcd7cbf9554f08.jpg

Cape Town - Injured Springbok hooker Bismarck du Plessis will undergo surgery on Tuesday to correct serious damage to ligaments in his right knee which he sustained during Saturday’s first Test against Argentina in Cape Town.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/Bismarck-to-undergo-surgery-20120821

Well, all of a sudden South Africa looks thin in the hooker department. Ralepelle is our for several weeks, leaving Tiaan Liebenberg and Craig Burden as replacement hookers for Adriaan Strauss. I wonder how long it will take before we see either John Smit, Schalk Brits or Gary Botha.

That's tough hope he gets back to his best but 8 months is a long time only bright side is he'll miss the Ireland match...

I hope it's just 8 weeks, but we're certainly going to miss our Battleship!

Chilliboy has 4 weeks left on his rehab so he'll be at least ready for the EOYT.

Yes, but I am wondering what the chances are we see John Smit, Gary Botha or even Schalk Brits.

Yes, but I am wondering what the chances are we see John Smit, Gary Botha or even Schalk Brits.

I'm guessing it's likely not that I'd really know from what I can see I don't think Brits fits with Meyer's style. You could well regret ever letting Strauss go.

I think we won't see them at all, as HM would already then have pulled them in seeing that they are all Springboks and HM won't call up rookies if he can use experienced guys instead. Neither Liebenberg nor Burden has played for the boks, so by calling them up I think it eliminates the chances of the 3 you mentioned to be called in... Unless there's another injury...

I'd love to see Schalk Brits get a go for a bit of fun... not in the scrums but he is a bit of a playmaker LOL. Won't happen and its not a bad thing.

Gutted to hear Bismarck won't even be available for the EoYT. We really needed him if we were hoping to challenge for top spot.

What does this mean for Brussow though? The reason we didn't need a fetcher like Brussow, was because Bismarck took over that role on defense. With Bismarck gone, we need a fetcher and Strauss doesn't bring that. I really hope this doesn't cost Coetzee his place in the team.

What does this mean for Brussow though? The reason we didn't need a fetcher like Brussow, was because Bismarck took over that role on defense. With Bismarck gone, we need a fetcher and Strauss doesn't bring that. I really hope this doesn't cost Coetzee his place in the team.

Is there any reason why Coetzee couldn't play at 8? Alberts is a must and Coetzee is the form loosie. I think between those two and Brussow we would have a very balanced backrow and there are enough ball carriers and line-out options to warrant Brussow's inclusion IMO.

Just imagine how much more effective the offensive tackling of Etzebeth, F Steyn, JP Petersen and Alberts would be if we had all three of Bismarck, Brussow and Coenie Oosthuizen on the field to disrupt opposition breakdowns. The pressure game would well and truly be back on the cards; pin them in their own 22 and wait for the turn-over/fumble/kick back. Then we would just need to be accurate on the turn-over attack and counter attack off of fielding kicks from the halfway line. That's where we need Petersen, Taute, Aplon, Le Roux and the like in the outlying positions. We would need someone like Pienaar at 9 though.

LOL, screw the expansive game if we can be accurate at throttling opposition again. I can get my kicks from the whinging comments like; "the boks are killing rugby". A balanced game would be best though and that's where Lambie at 10 comes in with Pienaar at 9. Scoring tries on the turn-over and counter attack would go a long way to 'not being boring' as well but we stick to our strengths along the way. With all the Sharks in the squad support play shouldn't be problem.

Last edited:
That pass is fabulous 1 in 1000 times... Usually, it's a momentum killer, as it bounces away or to the opposition. Worst thing is, he'll think he can make that pass again!

At least it isn't Deon Fourie.
Schalk Brits... The Boks do need a token showpony with Spies gone.

Like Craig Burden perhaps?? Oh no wait, he won't fall in the category of showpony because he's a Shark... Right?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Like Craig Burden perhaps?? Oh no wait, he won't fall in the category of showpony because he's a Shark... Right?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

:p Yep, Craig is a good solid lad. ;)
Nah, in all seriousness, I don't think Craig is anywhere near being good enough for the Boks, but I wish him all the best.
For the Sharks, I think Hadebe or Cooper will pass him soon.

For the Boks, their hands are tied with Bismarck and Chiliboy injured.

Well... The hookers in South Africa at the moment (random order)

- Bismarck du Plessis
- Chiliboy Ralepelle
- Bandise Maku
- Adriaan Strauss
- Craig Burden
- Tiaan Liebenberg
- Rayno Barnes
- Callie Visagie
- Hercu Liebenberg
- Deon Fourie

Of those hookers only Bismarck, Strauss and Ralepelle are Springbok material. 2 of them are injured.

Honestly this might be biased but I'm not so sure Liebenberg is that far behind the other three, especially Ralepelle, he carries well, makes the odd steal, throws consistently, and scrums well.

He doesn't have X-factor like Bismarck or Strauss but I don't think he'd disgrace himself.

Tiaan Liebenberg already is a disgrace due to the lack of sportsmanship he shows. His constant hair pulling, , tripping, instigating and jabbing to the ref is just despicable.

Tiaan Liebenberg already is a disgrace due to the lack of sportsmanship he shows. His constant hair pulling, , tripping, instigating and jabbing to the ref is just despicable.

Was it Tiaan or Deon that threw the ball into one of our player's faces?
What about Martin Bezuidenhout? (Not for the Boks yet, just for the future) He actually looked decent off the bench a few times if I am thinking of the right player.

Nah, that was Deon Fourie, not very classy but he doesn't do stuff like that on a regular basis so I am willing to see past that one incident with Fourie.

Is Deon Fourie the hooker who can play anywhere in the back-row?

Depends... Fourie played all 3 positions for the Stormers this season, Schalk Brits and Craig Burden did in the past. Some SA hookers are just not hookers.

Latest posts