• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blisters from boots?

S

Steve-o

I've been getting really bad blisters from boots every since I started playing in them. My current boots are Nike Total 90 III (15 plastic studs), they comfortable but I still get blisters from them. They're only a little big for me, about 1cm from the tip to my big toe.
I've tied them tighter, looser, and normally but the blisters still appear.
I only get them on the meaty part below my big toe, right on the border of the side and bottom of my foot.

Any suggestions to stop the blisters?

I used to have problems with my boots when i was younger, but then i took up jiu-jitsu and for the first few weeks i was tearing my feet up in the do-jo and after every session my teacher told me to bathe my feet in hot, salty water for 10 minutes. The bottom of my feet are really hard now and i don't suffer any problems with boots.

However, i can't honestly say whether it was the hot salty water that did it, or the years going nuts on a horrid floor where my feet were forced to be conditioned.
But it can't harm trying the hot salty water combo, right?

yeah I have similar problems. What kind of socks do you wear? Apparently, thicker socks help to stop it.

I wear those socks where the foot part is white and the material feels thicker than the rest of the socks material.
I also wear secret socks (lower ankle length) in practice sometimes.
All the socks I wear are cotton.
Thanks for the tip RC, I'll read up on it.

Steve-o, I have a few pairs of boots and those that you have is one of them.

With the Total 90 III, I strap my ankles with two layers of strapping on the heel (thats where I get my blisters). I'll take a picture of it on Thursday or Saturday, depending on when I wear them next.

I also get the blisters in the same place as you! The meaty part of the big toe, halfway between the side and bottom. Just wrap your toe in strapping tape.

Try wearing a thin pair of ankle socks under your long match socks. This isn't football so you won't be needing that 'touch'.

Caledfwlch: I do play soccer in them as well, and do wear double socks in winter but it doesn't help. These boots are so great, you don't lose any touch btw :D.

melon: I thought strapping was gonna come up. I used strapping many moons ago, it did help to a degree. But it's kind of a ***** to do every time I play, and strapping rolls run out quickly imo. Plus the good quality ones are pretty expensive, from what I've seen. I work part time and don't wanna blow my cash on something that shouldn't be an issue, know what mean? But if the blisters persist i'll have to cause I get blisters underneath my other blisters when I play often.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it if you can post some pics showing your strapping technique. And just this once can you strap your big toe AND that meaty below the big toe as well, please :).
Your foot is gonna be a big ball of strapping after this lol

Yeah mate, i'll tape it on Saturday and take a few pics. Be warned though...my feet are extrememly sexy...

I wear 2 pairs of socks and put an extra insole in my boots. Feet still get sore on the balls of my big toes though.

I'll take sore feet over blistered feet any day of week.
Perhaps that extra insole is preventing you from getting blisters?
Anybody do this?

Anybody do this?

Anybody do this?
[/b]

Theres a good chance that the insole is what is making the difference. Id recommend to try the insole or extra pair of socks. If your still having problems try both together.

I use to get blisters all the time, but usually it was because the boot wasn't broken in yet, but once the blisters 'popped', I'd put Aloe Vera on it to smooth the skin so it doesn't crack and become worse. If you have previous blisters, i'd suggest Aloe Vera for healing. I'm not so sure on prevention.. I think the taping sounds good, perhaps you should ask your family doctor about it? He/She should know a bit about it. Hope that helped.

Cory Walker, my boy...Aloe Vera takes time to heal...Use METHYLATED SPIRITS! It dries the blister up perfectly. Just use cotton wool balls soaked in it and apply until its dried up. You go from a big fat juicy blister to a tad bit of sensitive skin in 2 minutes.

Just tape yor feet at the area that blisters before you put on your boots for a few times and the boots will soon be broken in. If not your boots are too tight.

Cory Walker, my boy...Aloe Vera takes time to heal...Use METHYLATED SPIRITS! It dries the blister up perfectly. Just use cotton wool balls soaked in it and apply until its dried up. You go from a big fat juicy blister to a tad bit of sensitive skin in 2 minutes.
[/b]
Uh huh, sure does. Used to dip my fingers in meths when I started playing guitar.
Aloe Vera 0-1 Meths
And if you filter it through a loaf of bread it makes poor mans vodka
Aloe Vera 0-2 Meths!

:lol:

The pictures are pretty average, but hopefully you can tell how I've strapped them for blister prevention.
12042008001qe1.jpg

12042008002vl0.jpg

Did you, as I suggested you might the other day, find these pictures SEXY (and maybe a little helpful...but mostly sexy)?

EDIT: double post...my bad.

Oh yeah, the angles are a bit 'Lindsay Lohan' but the lighting really amplifies your skins natural radiate glow.
Lol
Thanks mate, I did some research on this and your way is very similar but you use less strapping, which is good. I've got an indoor soccer game tomorrow so I'll test it out then.

Again, thanks for the awesome pics... oh, and the effort :p

Oh btw, read somewhere b4 tt rubbing a lil Vasline on it might help. Can't rmb tho. Tried it on my blistered elbow and they're fine now.

Check out www.bigsoccer.com If I'm not wrong theres a post discussing blisters under the equipment section. They might advise you to lop of the cushioning or something.

Latest posts