• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blues and Gloucester match

B

bgrugbyfan

Should be interesting to see Nicky square up against his "old" team.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/c...91466-24394930/

THE Blues and Gloucester will square up on the opening weekend of the Anglo-Welsh Cup in a repeat of last season’s final.

The Blues will travel to Kingsholm on November 6 as they aim to keep up their recent stranglehold over the Cherry and Whites.

The Ospreys take on Northampton at Franklin’s Gardens, while the Dragons host Sale Sharks on the same night with Worcester v Newcastle on November 7.

The final fixtures of the opening weekend see the Scarlets come up against Harlequins at The Stoop, the Saracens against Bath, London Irish take on Wasps and Leeds play Leicester.

After a restructuring of the tournament format, it will now have a cross-pool competition meaning teams in Pool One will play teams in Pool Four and teams in Pool Two play teams in Pool Three.

As well as this, fixtures will now take place on weekends during November’s autumn internationals and the Six Nations, leaving many teams without their international players.

Meanwhile, the Blues will aim to retain the trophy they won in April after crushing Gloucester 50-12 at Twickenham giving the region their first piece of silverware.

Anglo-Welsh Cup 2009/10 Fixtures

Pool 1: Leicester Tigers, Sale Sharks, Saracens, Ospreys

Pool 2: London Irish, Gloucester, Newcastle Falcons, Scarlets

Pool 3: Harlequins, London Wasps, Worcester Warriors, Cardiff Blues

Pool 4: Bath, Northampton Saints, Leeds, Dragons

Teams in Pool 1 play teams in Pool 4 and teams in Pool 2 play teams in Pool 3. Each team guaranteed four pool matches - two home and two away - with the top teams from each pool qualifying for the semi finals

Round One

November 6: Newport Gwent Dragons v Sale Sharks (7.30pm), Ospreys v Northampton Saints (7.30pm), Gloucester v Cardiff Blues (7.45pmT)

November 7: Worcester Warriors v Newcastle Falcons (12.30pm)

November 8: Harlequins v Scarlets (1.45pm), Leeds v Leicester Tigers (3pm), Saracens v Bath (3pm), London Irish v London Wasps (3pm)

Round Two

November 13: Sale Sharks v Leeds (7.45pm)

November 14: Bath v Ospreys (1pm), Northampton Saints v Saracens (1pm), Leicester Tigers v Newport Gwent Dragons (3pm), Scarlets v Worcester Warriors (3pm)

November 15: Cardiff Blues v London Irish (1.45pm), London Wasps v Gloucester (3pm), Newcastle Falcons v Harlequins (3pm)

Round Three

January 29: Sale Sharks v Northampton Saints (7.45pm), Newport Gwent Dragons v Ospreys (7.30pm), Leeds v Saracens (7.30pm)

January 30: Leicester Tigers v Bath (3pm), Gloucester v Worcester Warriors (3pm)

January 31: London Wasps v Scarlets (3pm), Cardiff Blues v Newcastle Falcons (3pm), London Irish v Harlequins (3pm)

Round Four

February 4: Ospreys v Leeds (7.30pm)

February 6: Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers (3pm), Bath v Sale Sharks (2.15pm), Scarlets v Cardiff Blues (3pm), Worcester Warriors v London Irish (3pm)

February 7: Saracens v Newport Gwent Dragons (3pm), Newcastle Falcons v London Wasps (3pm), Harlequins v Gloucester (3pm)

Semi-finals: March 12-14, venue tbc

Final: March 19-21, venue tbc

You seem confident that Nicky won't be involved with the Wales squad for the AIs.

I keep thinking he should be included but Gatland doesn't seem to share my view. Nicky can't seem to shake that "inconsistent" label, although he did a solid job under McBryde in the summer tour so maybe GEH will give him a chance.

Tenner says that they're going to pick Dan Biggar over him. I feel Robinson is the enxt best welsh 10 to Hook and Jones, but for some reason, Dan Biggar is the favorite. Madness.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Aug 25 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tenner says that they're going to pick Dan Biggar over him. I feel Robinson is the enxt best welsh 10 to Hook and Jones, but for some reason, Dan Biggar is the favorite. Madness.[/b]

Agree with you totally on that. Biggar may be a 10 for the future but he's nowhere near ready yet. I'd even put his team mate Gareth Owen in front of him as a decent 10 but the O's management seem to be using him as a back up 15 to Byrne.

I thought Robinson was one of the best players in Wales's summer tour to America (along with Tom James) and it really annoyed me that they barely played him when he was easily the best Fly-Half available to them. He should be involved with the Welsh Squad for the AI, and it'd be great to see him get some game time against at least Samoa and maybe Argentina.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Aug 27 2009, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought Robinson was one of the best players in Wales's summer tour to America (along with Tom James) and it really annoyed me that they barely played him when he was easily the best Fly-Half available to them. He should be involved with the Welsh Squad for the AI, and it'd be great to see him get some game time against at least Samoa and maybe Argentina.[/b]

For whatever reason, and there's a few if you listen to some fans, Robinson doesn't appear to be in favour with the national coaches. Based purely on last season's club performances he was easily the 2nd best welsh qualified 10. The fact he didn't play in the Canada game and was then substituted in the USA game must have grated with him. He's possibly better off out of Wales for a season or 2.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Aug 25 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Aug 25 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tenner says that they're going to pick Dan Biggar over him. I feel Robinson is the enxt best welsh 10 to Hook and Jones, but for some reason, Dan Biggar is the favorite. Madness.[/b]

Agree with you totally on that. Biggar may be a 10 for the future but he's nowhere near ready yet. I'd even put his team mate Gareth Owen in front of him as a decent 10 but the O's management seem to be using him as a back up 15 to Byrne.
[/b][/quote]
He was played at full-back last season simply because we only had one 15 in Byrne. We even played Jonny ******* Vaughton there! Now we have decent cover in Barry Davies and have promoted 17-year old Tom Prydie, who looks like he could be the real deal; so we will see Owen in the centres and possibly fly-half much more this year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Aug 27 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Aug 25 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Aug 25 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
He was played at full-back last season simply because we only had one 15 in Byrne. We even played Jonny ******* Vaughton there! Now we have decent cover in Barry Davies and have promoted 17-year old Tom Prydie, who looks like he could be the real deal; so we will see Owen in the centres and possibly fly-half much more this year.
[/b][/quote]

That would be good news. I hear Owen has bulked up as well over the summer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Aug 27 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Aug 27 2009, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Robinson was one of the best players in Wales's summer tour to America (along with Tom James) and it really annoyed me that they barely played him when he was easily the best Fly-Half available to them. He should be involved with the Welsh Squad for the AI, and it'd be great to see him get some game time against at least Samoa and maybe Argentina.[/b]

For whatever reason, and there's a few if you listen to some fans, Robinson doesn't appear to be in favour with the national coaches. Based purely on last season's club performances he was easily the 2nd best welsh qualified 10. The fact he didn't play in the Canada game and was then substituted in the USA game must have grated with him. He's possibly better off out of Wales for a season or 2.
[/b][/quote]
Well, to be fair, Nicky has never produced when he's played for Wales and has never really had big-game temperament; therefore Gatland is going for youth in an attempt to develop Biggar into the world class player he could become.
I'm in agreement with this method and, although I thought Robinson played very well last season I've never been entirely convinced, and would even put Tovey in the squad ahead of him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Aug 27 2009, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Aug 27 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Aug 27 2009, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Well, to be fair, Nicky has never produced when he's played for Wales and has never really had big-game temperament; therefore Gatland is going for youth in an attempt to develop Biggar into the world class player he could become.
I'm in agreement with this method and, although I thought Robinson played very well last season I've never been entirely convinced, and would even put Tovey in the squad ahead of him.
[/b][/quote]

I can understand what you are saying but if you want to be fair Robinson never really had a good run at a Wales place. The big game temperament is a common myth. Nicky could be inconsistent but that wasn't restricted just to big games, his performances in the Heineken & EDF Cups last year were outstanding.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Aug 27 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Aug 27 2009, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Aug 27 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

I can understand what you are saying but if you want to be fair Robinson never really had a good run at a Wales place. The big game temperament is a common myth. Nicky could be inconsistent but that wasn't restricted just to big games, his performances in the Heineken & EDF Cups last year were outstanding.
[/b][/quote]
Hmm. I agree he did have some excellent games all-round last year, but I'll always have reservations. I judged him after seeing him perform a backwards up-and-under that bounced into the grateful arms of Richie Pugh to race away and score the match-winning try for us 4 seasons ago.
He's clearly improved, but I think I'd have kittens if I saw him line up for Wales in the 10 shirt against New Zealand or South Africa.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Aug 27 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Aug 27 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Aug 27 2009, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Hmm. I agree he did have some excellent games all-round last year, but I'll always have reservations. I judged him after seeing him perform a backwards up-and-under that bounced into the grateful arms of Richie Pugh to race away and score the match-winning try for us 4 seasons ago.
He's clearly improved, but I think I'd have kittens if I saw him line up for Wales in the 10 shirt against New Zealand or South Africa.
[/b][/quote]

Ha, ha yes us Blues fans often would have our heads in our hands when Nicky had a 'moment'. But a few minutes later he'd pull something sublime out of nothing. I hear in his first Glocs game he gave an interception pass to the opposition but then scored an individual try.

Defensively I have no qualms about him and I'd rather see him there against NZ & SA than Biggar.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blindside6 @ Aug 27 2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ha, ha yes us Blues fans often would have our heads in our hands when Nicky had a 'moment'. But a few minutes later he'd pull something sublime out of nothing. I hear in his first Glocs game he gave an interception pass to the opposition but then scored an individual try.

Defensively I have no qualms about him and I'd rather see him there against NZ & SA than Biggar.[/b]

For some reason his "reputation" (falsely given or not) preceeds him. And you're right- his mistakes are usually countered by a moment of sheer brilliance. Even if it wasn't the number 1 in a Wales shirt, he'd defintely be someone I'd want on the bench.

The main reason he wasn't picked for Wales last season was that he wasn't taking the kicks at goal. This certainly benefited Robinson in terms of his performances for the Blues (as in the past it was a couple of misses at goal which always sent his confidence plummeting, effecting the rest of his game), but it hindered his chances with Wales. Arguments could be made that with Leigh halfpenny playing, it wasn't necessary for the 10 to take the kicks, but this does not seem to cut it with Gatland. Maybe he didn't want to pile too much pressure on young Halfpenny, or maybe he just likes his 10's to initially take the kicks at goal. Either way, as long as Robinson continues not to be a world class kicker like Jones, Hook (most the time) or even Biggar he won't get a look-in, and although he isn't a bad kicker per se, he allows it to effect the rest of his game too easily.

For me he's a quality club player if there's someone else in the team to take the kicking duties, but doesn't cut it at the top of the international game. I'd like to be proved wrong though.

Latest posts