Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
http://cyrilsplace.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/blues-edge-chiefs-in-waikato-scrap/

written by cyRil

Chiefs 13-16 Blues

Payne try enough to decide North Island Derby

The Blues climbed to the top of the New Zealand SupeRugby Conference after besting the Chiefs in a close game played in awful conditions at Waikato Stadium on Saturday.

The hosts outscored their visitors two tries to one, but in the end it was the men from Auckland who held their nerve in an ugly encounter to grind out a narrow victory, with the boot of centre Luke McAlister contributing 11 of his side’s 16 points.

cvb1.jpg

The Blues congratulate one another on a hard-fought win

But it was the home side that made the brighter start, and were ahead on the scoreboard within the first minute.

A Rene Ranger knock-on in midfield was opportunistically kicked on by the Chiefs; with the Blues scrambing defence unable to deal with a slippery ball in wet conditions, No. 8 Liam Messam hacked forward and dived on it over the line to give his side a 5-0 lead â€" the usually reliable fly-half Mike Delany missing the extras from out wide.

It was clear from the out-set that the game would be dictated by Hamilton’s atrocious weather.The two sides were trying to valiantly play expansive and attractive running rugby, but the wet conditions made it impossible for that to be achieved; leading to both teams putting a flurry of up-and-unders skywards in an attempt to unsettle and test the opposition defence â€" Chiefs scrum-half Brendon Leonard being a main exponent of this tactic.

When the Chiefs were pinged for not retreating the appropriate distance from a free kick just inside the opposition half the Blues were given the chance to register their first points of the evening, but McAlister was just off target with the 54-metre penalty.

On the 20-minute mark the Chiefs were again on the scoreboard. The man the home crowd call ‘Flash’ â€" right winger Lelia Masaga â€" started an attack from out wide after picking up the ball from a fortuitous bounce, moving in-field towards support and free backs in space. Possession was passed quickly across the pitch with wing Sitiveni Sivivatu making powerful strides towards the Blues line. Play was eventually slowed down in the forwards near the visitor’s line, but Chiefs prop Sona Taumalolo showed enough strength in his legs to power over for the home side’s second try.

cvb2.jpg

A rain-drenched Waikato was no place for expansive rugby

When Chiefs openside Tanerau Latimer was penalised for going from the side at a ruck, the Blues were once again provided an opportunity to get off the mark â€" with McAlister much more accurate with his second attempt at the sticks â€" 10-3 Chiefs after 25 minutes.

Another chance for the Blues to score was spurned a couple of minutes later when a penalty that was eminently kickable was put into touch for a line-out near the Chiefs’ try-line.

For the next 8 minutes the Chiefs barely moved from their 5-metre line as they committed numerous infringements at ruck and scrum-time.

Latimer was again guilty of poor discipline by putting hands in the ruck, and with the Blues opting to go for scrum after scrum from the resultant penalties, Taumalolo was pin-pointed as the weak link for not staying straight at the hit.

Frustration was creeping in to the Blues side, and they were anxious to capitalise on their possession, territory and dominance up front, and captain Keven Mealamu again called for a scrum from the third penalty awarded for not binding squarely, hoping that one more would force the referee into awarding a much-deserved penalty try.

With Blues anticipation of a penalty score boiling over, their nerves cracked and from the fourth scrum on the Chiefs line they lost control of the ball, were turned over and conceded a penalty for holding on.

The Chiefs relief was plain for all to see and the team celebrated as if the match was won, after surviving intense and sustained Auckland pressure which really should have been converted into 7 points.

The Blues were given a redemptive shot at goal right on half-time when full-back Tim Nanai-Williams was pinged for going off his feet, and although the Chiefs would have been disappointed by conceding a late and unnecessary 3 points, it could have been a whole lot worse for the home side; 10-6 Chiefs at the break.

The Blues started brightly in the second half, looking to make up for the numerous opportunities they wasted in the first period.

cvb4.jpg

Richard Kahui struggles in the rain in Hamilton

Fly-half Stephen Brett was trying to initiate attacks out wide and spark his backs into action, but in-so-doing threw an intercept straight to opposition half-back Leonard on the Chiefs 22, who set off from 80 metres out down the touchline, heading for the whitewash. But Brett recovered sufficiently to catch up with the scrum-half and drag him down inside the Blues’ 22, force a turnover, and Latimer once again conceded a penalty at the break-down to relieve the pressure on the visitor’s line.

The poor execution of the Blues was becoming an ever-more present factor in their game, with mistakes riddling their play the team were unable to forge any real opportunities â€" half-back Alby Mathewson kicking out on the full on a number of occasions to illustrate their faltering efforts.

Just as the game was threatening to turn into a dirge it sparked back into life as Isaia Toeava burst through the Chiefs’ defensive line. Recycling from the break-down, the ball was shipped on to McAlister who dinked an interesting grubber kick through for centre partner Jared Payne to chase â€" the outside back kicking on and doing brilliantly to shrug off the attentions of Delany to control the ball and quickly plant it before going out over the dead-ball line.

With McAlister curling in a great conversion the Blues now led 13-10 and had the opportunity to wise-up and close the game out.

cvb3.jpg

Payne's wonderful finish proved the difference on the night

However the Chiefs were back on level terms soon after when the Blues went off their feet at the break-down; Delany slotting the penalty to make it 13-13 with 62 minutes played.

Despite this, the game always had the feel that it would go the visitors way in the closing stages, due to the Chiefs’ relatively little possession and field position and the Blues’ dominance in those areas of play.

When replacement scrum-half Taniela Moa was penalised for cynical offside play and McAlister duly stepped up to put the Blues back in the lead, 16-13, the home side knew they faced an uphill struggle against conditions and the clock to get anything out of the game besides a losing bonus-point.

To their credit, the Chiefs never gave in. But the possession they had was predominantly within their own half and so were made to force their play and style of rugby. The wet weather once again put paid to any broad and inspirational rugby the Chiefs backs and loose forwards tried to employ, and when Masaga knocked on whilst trying to release Richard Kahui inside him, the game was up, with the Blues hanging on to an important derby victory.

Star Man: Jared Payne â€" The Blues centre made a couple of good runs with ball in hand, tackled hard and scored the game’s crucial try with a consummate finish.

5-metre flop: Tanerau Latimer â€" The Chiefs openside was guilty of giving away vital penalties that cost his team dearly, and was outshone by his opponents in the back-row.

Yep, the weather probably spoiled what could have been a great match up of to high class back lines/some good running rugby, but did highlight some deficiencies in both teams ability to play in wet conditions ... it turned into a good old fashioned tussle, with either side capable of taking the match right up to the end.

I agree with your pick of Jared Payne as your star man, although Isaia Toeava could have been a good candidate as well.

Taniela Moa would have been my nomination for the 5 Metre flop, despite only being on for such a short time for the Chiefs ... he certainly helped out his old team (the Blues) with his ill discipline

I watched the game the whole way through and spent the better part of the last 2 days thinking the Chiefs won. Personally I would've called it a boring arm-wrestle with mistakes strewn across the park, a completely forgettable match for me, I expect better of these teams with the personnel they have, but again the weather was a factor. Good on Payne, he's been solid player for the Crusaders and is now able to make an impact with the Blues. Almost makes me wish they hadn't let him go...almost. But it is evident how his discipline and ability to organize the offense around him has had a noticeable effect on the Blues, and I think the Crusaders development has a large hand in that.

Last edited:
I thought McAlister & Toeava were the blues best players overall I think the chiefs forwards were better than the blues but having duel kickers and McAlisters accurate boot over delany's not so accurate one gave the blues the overall edge. That said I think the chiefs would have won the game if Leonard had been given the full 80min, he had the better of mathewson in a good performance but he was pulled off with ~20min to go for Moa who's performance has seen him removed from the chiefs 22 this weekend.

Well done the blues. Chiefs need to win this weekend, the tah's aren't at their best and they could be without barnes again. Then hope to come out after their bye with imporved player stocks as Mills & Donald will be due to return.

Strongly disagree with you there Larksea;

First 25 mins aside, the Blues forwards were all over the Chiefs pack.

fair enough.

I think the blues lineout was better mostly because of poor throwing from the chiefs. Blues scrum was good early but lost it's impact when the ref started to keep an eye on Afoa then late in the game the Chiefs scrum was totally dominant. Chiefs Also had an edge in the contact area with Toby simth and Aled on the field.

If the blues forwards were that good I would have thought they would have won the game by more than 3 with a back try and good long range kicking from McAlister. And I believe the chiefs forwards kept them in the game (apart from lineout time) even though overall Delany didn't have a good day kicking.

If the blues had scored from the long scrum engagement close to the chiefs line then I would have said different. But that seemed to be when the ref cottoned onto problems with Afoas scrummaging.

yeah, you see thats a fundamental difference in our views of the game, you think it was Afoa, I think it was Taumalolo.
That guy was lucky to stay on the field, and the Chiefs were very lucky it wasn't a penalty try.

Basically the Chiefs got a lukcy try at the start. And that sort of weather is always a great leveller.

Blues deserved to win that game. They played smarter, percentage rugby (even suprised to write that myself). Chiefs got a coupel of break aways from dropped ball, but the Blues had them pinned in their own half for most of the game really.

I'm no expert at scrums the closest I ever got to the front row was playing lock one season when I was about 9 years old :p

But it looked to me like Afoa was only good when the ref was watching the other side of the scrum.

For sure Afoa is good in the scrum and Taumalolo has not impressed me much over the last few years. But he has looked stronger in that area this year for sure. I expected the chiefs scrum to struggle when he replaced the injured Ben May but I think it actually got stronger.

Good summary, a game to forget. Even with the bad weather the Chiefs jeopardized their chances of making is into the play offs.

Latest posts