• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Blues Faithful.. lets look to next year

jessta

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Blues
Justin Marshall has written that we are screwed for next year aswell, saying we do not have the quality of players needed to get anywhere in this comp.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11461403

He has to be wrong! I cant sit through another year of countless losses and pathetic performances. I've had enough...

Its sad to think we used to be a powerhouse in this competition and now were the joke of the NZ teams!

So what needs to be done to make this team competitive again??

OK obviously Kirwan needs to go. Not even considering this year's performance, he has truley made a mockery of this team and lost some of the countrys best up and coming players to other clubs. He was once completely hesitant to play younger players with potential when first coming in as head coach as, 'there not ready for the next step', only for them to bugger off elsewhere and become stars of super rugby or all blacks. Utter joke. Now to make up for that he almost seems to keen to play younger players, picking up every 19 and 20 year old in the area and handing them maiden debuts like hot cakes. (I dont think this is bad but its just comical the change of heart).

Tossing away Anscombe the most promising 10 in the country at the time,to debut and make Simon Hickey the starting 10, was a complete joke. Not giving Fekitoa, the form ITM cup player of the year any game time (even on the bench) was pathetic. He may aswell have personally told him to **** off. Naholo is another who looks all blacks bound, who wasnt good enough for Kirwan.

These deeds on there own are enough for him to get the sack surley.

So forgetting about the coach and looking at the players- what positions do we look alright in? where do we need to bring in more players? who could we attempt to sign?

Notable Loses:
Keven Mealamu (retiring, 162 Blues games)
Charles Piutau (Ulster, 41)
Francis Saili (Munster, 42)
Frank Halai (Wasps 39)
Luke Braid (Bordeaux, 70)
Brendon O'Connor (Leicester, 40)
Angus Ta'avao (Waratahs, 48)
Pita Ahki (Hurricanes)
Probable Loses:
Tony Woodcock
Hayden Triggs
Jimmy Cowan

Key retentions:
Jerome Kaino (2018)
Steven Luatua (2017)
Charlie Faumuina (2017)
James Parsons (2017)

Props: I would like to see a quality loosehead prop signed. I dont think Sam Prattley is the future here. We have Faumuina and Tuangafasi on the tighthead plus Auckland have tons of powerhouse pacific Islander tightheads. We need a quality good scrumaging loosehead to become the next Woodcock and balance out the pack. Surley Joe Moody gets fustrated playing second fiddle to Crockett?? He would be a perfect signing. Getting Pauliasi Manu back from the chiefs would be alright. Maybe Jaime McKintosh. Someone needs to be signed.

Hookers: Parsons showing good commitment to NZ rugby.. good on him. Surley some sturdy backups can be produced from the region. The likes of Matt Moulds or Gafatasi Sua'a should be OK as backups. Injury to Parsons would mean trouble here though.

Locks: Tuipulotu= class! William Lloyd showing great promise. They should try retain Bekhuis with his experience. I rate Callum Retallick, should get more game time. Maybe Dominic Bird will have a second thought at joining Blues after being shown the backdoor by Blackadder. A locking combination of him and Tupipulotu would be unbelievable.

Backrow: 6/8's we are covered with Kaino, Ioane, Luatua, Joe Edwards. We need 7's badly. Blake Gibson looks like a classy prospect able to play 6.7 & 8 but does he have the experience to go straight into starting? A signing needs to be made here.

Halfbacks: I do feel some what confident here for the future. Gibson Park has potential just needs a few years on the park, and needs to simplify his game alot of the time and not try to do to much. (i guess the same could be said for most of the team). Bryn Hall unfortunately injured for all of this year but is a good player. Need to retain these two and let them fight it out for starting spot. Word is Sam Nock the current NZ U20 halfback has been signed. Great Youth and promise here all round.

First Fives: Bowden, West, Hickey. Not the best bunch but sorted. West is promising. Bowden looked pretty sturdy pre injury. Hickey promising.

Centers: Moala, Ranger. Scary scary thought. I tip Moala for an all black jersey next year if he can maintain his current form and work on his distribution. who else? TJ Fiane looks like an all black in waiting at U20 level, better sign him up fast. Hamish Northcote had some nice touches this year. Wish we didnt loose Pita Ahki though.

Wings: Tevita Li didn't impress me this year. defensively was a joke. But has potential cant deny that. Melani Nanai is OK, I reckon the commentators overate him a little bit, but has potential without a doubt. Ben Lam is far better at 7's then 15's but just needs time on the park.

Fullbacks: Lolagi Visinia. Tip for tip replacement to Piutau. was a bit quite this year, just saw glimpses of his talent. but in the past hes looked like a future all black for all money. Cardif Vaega?

I guess to sums up most of the team- has potential just needs experience badly.

I think Polwart was only signed for one year with the Chiefs - he may well be brought back to Auckland for next year.

I doubt they could lure joe moody away, I dont think Crockett will be around next year he's been breaking appearance records for the crusaders this year and he's getting on. Is he signed?

Dom Bird may be lured away. he was solid sticking with the crusaders early on but his appearances have been limited this season when he looks desperate for gametime.

I'm not a fan of Bekhuis, blues should not make plans to make the finals with him as one of their 3 best locks.... With Retalick and Tuipalotu the blues have two quality locks they really miss an Anthony Boric like lock, boy do the blues miss that guy, what is he retired at age 30? Such a shame, I know he did have a run of injuries... I dunno WTF happened to Moli was he dropped from the blues and not picked up elsewhere? Such a huge shame he has not filled his potential...

Losing Braid, O'Connor and Angus Ta'avao is just devastating. Polwart has to be a big target to get back.

Anscombe was a big mistake that hounded Kirwin for a long time and he went and won a ***le with the chiefs then left to NZ rugby. To compound matters bayden Ker showed some potential but then spent a lot of time injured.

Then there was the Benji experiment... Poorly done and poorly managed, he looked like he could have done well but should have played ITM cup and should have been given more game time for the blues.

Hicky and west are two players that can develop into top first fives, still both very young...

Renee ranger will be back which is AWESOME but they have lost Piutau and Saili

Visinia and Nanai have shown potential, Tevita Li not so much but he's still a kid, these guys all look like they have big futures but they are all young and they really need to come good quickly.

I wonder if there is a ton of pacific flair in the backs but not enough guys who are mature, accurate, honest and hard working. Blues need a backline leader, ranger is not it he's a weapon. Someone more like Conrad Smith, Ben Smith, Cruden... that type of player, a talker and decision maker the young guys can listen too.

Being WC year with an exodus to follow it's going to be hard to lure guys away from other franchises. Blues need to recruit hard and early in ITM cup time.

on the coaching, sure Kirwin has made mistakes but lets not forget he inherited a franchise and a union that was in the **** to start with. The blues were buggered during the David nucifora days and have never recovered. And the auckland schools rugby production line which was always a big part of Aucklands strength is now heavily targeted by NRL clubs

Few times I agree with anything Marshall has to say but the Blues certainly aren't going to 'come right' next season.

I personally think that Angus Angus Ta'avao is no huge loss. Has a good work-rate but is one of the worst scrimmages in the competition. I agree that I can't see Woodcock signing another season with the Blues. Moody is a possible pickup (as Crockett has signed till 2017 I believe) - but I don't think anyone will be in a rush to jump onto that sinking ship unless they manage to secure a few big names and new coaches.

I would think they should probably see if they can get Daniel Pryor from the Highlanders. He's an underrated open side who is from the region. How they let yet another Braid go is beyond me...

In terms of getting a new young scrumhalf, I'm not so excited they are looking at the newest U20s scrumhalf. They already have Bryn Hall and Jamison Gibson Park, both very promising age grade players who have been totally mismanaged at the Blues, while all their young 10s have been treated the same. The Blues should be allowed no where near young developing talent.

I doubt they could lure joe moody away, I dont think Crockett will be around next year he's been breaking appearance records for the crusaders this year and he's getting on. Is he signed?

Dom Bird may be lured away. he was solid sticking with the crusaders early on but his appearances have been limited this season when he looks desperate for gametime.

I'm not a fan of Bekhuis, blues should not make plans to make the finals with him as one of their 3 best locks.... With Retalick and Tuipalotu the blues have two quality locks they really miss an Anthony Boric like lock, boy do the blues miss that guy, what is he retired at age 30? Such a shame, I know he did have a run of injuries... I dunno WTF happened to Moli was he dropped from the blues and not picked up elsewhere? Such a huge shame he has not filled his potential...

Losing Braid, O'Connor and Angus Ta'avao is just devastating. Polwart has to be a big target to get back.

Anscombe was a big mistake that hounded Kirwin for a long time and he went and won a ***le with the chiefs then left to NZ rugby. To compound matters bayden Ker showed some potential but then spent a lot of time injured.

Then there was the Benji experiment... Poorly done and poorly managed, he looked like he could have done well but should have played ITM cup and should have been given more game time for the blues.

Hicky and west are two players that can develop into top first fives, still both very young...

Renee ranger will be back which is AWESOME but they have lost Piutau and Saili

Visinia and Nanai have shown potential, Tevita Li not so much but he's still a kid, these guys all look like they have big futures but they are all young and they really need to come good quickly.

I wonder if there is a ton of pacific flair in the backs but not enough guys who are mature, accurate, honest and hard working. Blues need a backline leader, ranger is not it he's a weapon. Someone more like Conrad Smith, Ben Smith, Cruden... that type of player, a talker and decision maker the young guys can listen too.

Being WC year with an exodus to follow it's going to be hard to lure guys away from other franchises. Blues need to recruit hard and early in ITM cup time.

on the coaching, sure Kirwin has made mistakes but lets not forget he inherited a franchise and a union that was in the **** to start with. The blues were buggered during the David nucifora days and have never recovered. And the auckland schools rugby production line which was always a big part of Aucklands strength is now heavily targeted by NRL clubs

I think Crockett would be staying, he's been waiting a long time to take the reigns from woodcock and now he finally can. In saying that the crusaders do give moody enough game time to press for selection, its just if he'd prefer being a week to week starter and playing in a more challenging and different role.

I think it was silly of bird to stay at crusaders behind two established all black locks when the blues were offering him a starting role. He's surley paid the price for it now. Romano won't be around for much longer though so maybe he will stick around.

Retallick is great but he hasn't got any game time under Kirwan... I think Boric is plying his trade in Japan nowadays.. Poor man with all the serious injuries he had. Moli is a complete waste of time.. Yup didn't pick up contract this year. Maybe he's worked his ass off though and will come right in the itm.

Forgot about baden Kerr.. Where's he these days?

Yup in the forwards they have parsons, faumuina, tuipulotu and kaino as leaders. The backs are all flamboyant x factor players. Need a general 100%. This would be a key signing. Maybe the likes of Cory Jane, dagg, tom Marshall, James Marshall, Marty banks. A player like this could lead the backs.

I guess jimmy Cowan was meant to fill this role.. Laughable.

Just look at that loses list ...

Two years ago, I thought that the heart of the Blues over the next 5-10 years contained a Saili / Ranger Midfield combo, Piutau at full back, Luke Braid at 7 ... what a mess. Really had high hopes for Ahki as well, a real bright spot for North Harbour.

I agree, I don't see the Blues coming good next year, and the reason is exactly what everyone else is saying, leaders, on field generals, the correct mix of youth and experience. Just look at the Hurricanes backline, youth and excitement built around a spine of TJ / Barrett / Nonu / Conrad.

Consider a Blues backline of this for next year:

9 - Gibson-Park / Bryn Hall
10 - West / Hickey
11 - Nanai
12 - Moala
13 - Ranger
14 - Lam
15 - Visinia

A lot of power, a lot of raw potential, but I see no really guile, something about that lineup doesn't inspire confidence the way that combination of talent should.

I guess I was hoping for more from West this season, the 10 jersey still feels lost in that backfield.

Forwards are in better shape, bar the front row.

I would be happy to run with Tuipolotu / Retallick as the locking starters with depth behind them. A backrow combo of Kaino / Luatua / Ioane / Edwars is really exciting, but the losses of O'Connor AND Braid at the same time could negate alot of that promise.

*sigh*

Just look at that loses list ...

Two years ago, I thought that the heart of the Blues over the next 5-10 years contained a Saili / Ranger Midfield combo, Piutau at full back, Luke Braid at 7 ... what a mess. Really had high hopes for Ahki as well, a real bright spot for North Harbour.

I agree, I don't see the Blues coming good next year, and the reason is exactly what everyone else is saying, leaders, on field generals, the correct mix of youth and experience. Just look at the Hurricanes backline, youth and excitement built around a spine of TJ / Barrett / Nonu / Conrad.

Consider a Blues backline of this for next year:

9 - Gibson-Park / Bryn Hall
10 - West / Hickey
11 - Nanai
12 - Moala
13 - Ranger
14 - Lam
15 - Visinia

A lot of power, a lot of raw potential, but I see no really guile, something about that lineup doesn't inspire confidence the way that combination of talent should.

I guess I was hoping for more from West this season, the 10 jersey still feels lost in that backfield.

Forwards are in better shape, bar the front row.

I would be happy to run with Tuipolotu / Retallick as the locking starters with depth behind them. A backrow combo of Kaino / Luatua / Ioane / Edwars is really exciting, but the losses of O'Connor AND Braid at the same time could negate alot of that promise.

*sigh*

If it was me I'd probably be starting Bowden at 12, giving them an extra kicking option.

9 Hall
10 West
11 Moala
12 Bowden
13 Ranger
14 Li?
15 Visinia

Few times I agree with anything Marshall has to say but the Blues certainly aren't going to 'come right' next season.

I personally think that Angus Angus Ta'avao is no huge loss. Has a good work-rate but is one of the worst scrimmages in the competition. I agree that I can't see Woodcock signing another season with the Blues. Moody is a possible pickup (as Crockett has signed till 2017 I believe) - but I don't think anyone will be in a rush to jump onto that sinking ship unless they manage to secure a few big names and new coaches.

I would think they should probably see if they can get Daniel Pryor from the Highlanders. He's an underrated open side who is from the region. How they let yet another Braid go is beyond me...

In terms of getting a new young scrumhalf, I'm not so excited they are looking at the newest U20s scrumhalf. They already have Bryn Hall and Jamison Gibson Park, both very promising age grade players who have been totally mismanaged at the Blues, while all their young 10s have been treated the same. The Blues should be allowed no where near young developing talent.

Yes getting Dan Pryor and/ or polwart back to fight it out for starting 7 role would be great. Maybe John Hardy could be a sneaky steal??

I agree they completely mismanaged there young 9s and 10s. Hickey was being groomed as starter then received no game time this year. What was that all about??

I almost fell off my seat when I saw the signing of Cowan. Why sign that has been with two of the most promising 9s in the country? One would of been completely deprived of game time. Hall got injured though so the Cowan signing turned out to be not that bad.

One or two leaders are desperately needed for the back line

maybe the blues should look to get jamie Mackintosh, I dont know what his movements are but he's not getting gametime at the chiefs and I still think he has unfulfilled potential

I would put Bowden @12 only because he was brilliant there for us with a big ball carrying presence like Ranger next to him he will be in his element.

Blues gotta get their hands on Tamanivalu or get Halaholo to come back. These guys are too good to be in the reserves of their franchises and with all the players leaving the Blues they'd actually get game time now. Possibly Marty McKenzie too, he was part of the Blues team in 2012. The Chiefs already have Cruden, Damien and Horrell.

We should never have let Dan Pryor go either. Dan Pryor should have been in the team last year too, he's been so good consistently. I know we had Luke Braid, Peter Saili, O Conner, Luatua but if the Blues judged their players on form and not on name Pryor should have been picked ahead of them. Right now I rate Pryor better than Luatua even though Luatua is a former All Black

Last edited:
Haloholo will definitely be a starter next season for the Hurricanes. I don't know why he would go to the Blues. If you look at the U-20's you can see that the Blues have a lot of talent in players like Ioane and Tevita Li. The problem is that I think those players are still a couple of seasons away. The Blues need someone in their backline who can temper the exuberance of their more attacking players. They also need to find some good props. I think 2017 will be a good year for the Blues.

If it was me I'd probably be starting Bowden at 12, giving them an extra kicking option.

9 Hall
10 West
11 Moala
12 Bowden
13 Ranger
14 Li?
15 Visinia

noooo... Moala at 12 has arguably been the only success story of the blues season, the only thing that has worked every weekend and nanai has been impressive at 11

- - - Updated - - -

I would put Bowden @12 only because he was brilliant there for us with a big ball carrying presence like Ranger next to him he will be in his element.

NOOOOOOOO! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Akira Ioane looks a very good prospect as well.

haha yeah bit of an understatement... the question is what happens to Luatua? Akira Ioane looks very much the best option at 6. Play Luatua at 7? :p

I just hope Tana can do something about player attitudes.

If you believe what was written in the NZ Herald 9-10 days ago, there is a prevailing attitude amongst the players that putting in the hard yards at training was "uncool"

If this attitude persists, it doesn't matter how much talent/potential the players have.
Unless the players grow up and develop a work ethic, nothing will change.

And I hate to say it, but their attitude is evident in the way they play - all the talent in the world, but very little clue on how to use it. Forcing passes, lack of patience, and inability to switch tack were definitely evident amongst the current playing group (especially the backs).

I hope that those players grow up and recognise they are in a enviable position to be able to play rugby for a living. Or, if they don't; that Tana does the right thing and sends them packing.
I want nothing to do with supporting a bunch of primadonna losers.

Latest posts