• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Body Armour - To wear or not to wear?

S

Swansea99

Hello again,

I was wondering how many people here actually use body armour while playing rugby.
Also, if someone has used the Flexitop Plus armour by Canterbury, is it a good product or should I stay away from it?

I've worn body armour since I was about 12, but then again I've never really had the biggest upper body physique.

Just don't expect it to prevent every injury, as a have managed to dislocate my shoulder several times while wearing it.

Avoid Kooga padding, it's crap.

The Canterbury one you talk about looks good, although I use one of the recent Gilbert releases myself, which seems to do the job.

Just depends on how much protection you want as to what you go for. The Flexitop looks good if you just want protection across the shoulders, although if you play in the forwards you may want a set with padding on the biceps, sternum etc.

All depends on personal preference of flexibility vs protection.

Hey, when I was playing age group games up to my U-16s I didn't give a rats ass about body armours, but then when I started playing U-19s and senior rugby... damn those things are like the best rugby invention ever! so please use it!

Never have, never will. But that's not to say you shouldn't, if you feel it's necessary.

Every person is different.....they do give added protection if you don't mind the constriction of movement. That is what you have to weigh up.

well, my situation demands me to wear them.. my left shoulder isn't exactly at top shape after dislocating it.. so...

lol if you have a bung shoulder then shoulder pads aren't going to stop anything from happening. The only time shoulder pads will do anything for you is when you're shoulder is relatively strong and it will soften the impact a small bit for an impact.

it is true people are different but i beleive that the pads are for people that have had major injury to their shoulders
they are not ment to be used like in american footbal
some of my mates have sworn that you can hit anyone as hard as you want and u can barely feel a thing
so if u want to go ahead but ill never get caught dead in those

it is true people are different but i beleive that the pads are for people that have had major injury to their shoulders
some of my mates have sworn that you can hit anyone as hard as you want and u can barely feel a thing
[/b]

Absolute idiocy. Shoulder pads won't stop you from feeling the impact of a tackle.

The only thing that will ease the impact is technique. The better the technique you have, the less the impact will hurt you and the more the impact will hurt the player you are tackling.

<div class='quotemain'> it is true people are different but i beleive that the pads are for people that have had major injury to their shoulders
[/b]

Absolute idiocy. Shoulder pads won't stop you from feeling the impact of a tackle.

The only thing that will ease the impact is technique. The better the technique you have, the less the impact will hurt you and the more the impact will hurt the player you are tackling.
[/b][/quote]

I agree. :p

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> it is true people are different but i beleive that the pads are for people that have had major injury to their shoulders
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I agree. :p [/b][/quote]

Smart man! +1 rep for that, my all knowing friend.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'm like yoda...
Alltough not many, my words are a fountain of wisdom :p ;)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'm like yoda...
Alltough not many, my words are a fountain of wisdom :p ;) [/b][/quote]
Remember mate, I was the one who said it and you just agreed :p

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'm like yoda...
[/b][/quote]
I know ;)
Just providing support for your statement ;)

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I'm like yoda...
[/b][/quote]
I know ;)
Just providing support for your statement ;) [/b][/quote]
Ahhhh that's the way son!

(hmmm maybe this should be locked now...)

Rugby's_a_Religion Posted Apr 12 2007, 06:34 AM

QUOTE(Ropes67 @ Apr 12 2007, 02:38 PM) *

The only thing that will ease the impact is technique. The better the technique you have, the less the impact will hurt you and the more the impact will hurt the player you are tackling.[/b]

That is true. Even when my team practices with bags i can feel the impact of the tackle. A piece of thin body armor wont protect you from the impact of the tackle. Armor is used to soften up the impact. Even armor in warfare is used to soften the weapon up so that it doesn't inflict too much damage upon you.

so what is the best make at the moment? [/b]
Ill forget the question of whether to wear or not for a second...CANTERBURY in the last year or so have brought out a great range, and RUGBYTECH are always good.

This is what Colin Meads said to a group of us when in Camp....

"At a young age you should learn to tackle without pads, week in week out getting your arms blue berry colored hit and bruised up actually hardens your upper body. He went on to say.... After continuously tackling tackling and more tackling the pain actually ease's till you cant feel anything, then you discover calluses on your shoulders and chest and that forms the natural body Armour....

Of course i never really got to see that on anyone..lol Anyway I'm sure if theres some of you out there thats got some funny story's from when they were in camp Reps

Latest posts