• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bok squad 2017

As @munstermuffin pointed out Cloete now plays P14 for Munster and won't be eligible for national selection until 2019 I believe, so there's no point discussing his place in this EOYT.

Still want to see Dan at 8, I think AC is going to play it safe for the wins though, wouldn't be surprised really if he chose the same team from the Newlands test. What I really want to see is new wings and a full back trialed. Centres, FH and scrummy can be changed in time and lots of experimenting needs to be one off the bench for those positions. I really think it wouldn't hurt us to start a new back three after the Ireland game at least though.

It's mean but I hope Rhule, Dreyer and to a degree DDA are overlooked for these tests.

Having just watched the Currie Cup Semi's I thought that I would make some comments.

Warrick Gelant - I thought that he was incredible. This was probably the fourth Blue Bulls game I have seen this Currie Cup and I thought that it was by far his strongest. He does everything: good under the high ball, runs to make opportunities with patience, great off loads, is active at the break down and can tackle forwards running at him at pace. I guess that the element missing from his game might be kicking but I'm not sure. I really hope that he gets to go on tour.

Wings - I didn't see any stand out wing play in these games. I thought that Nkosi and Senatla were both quiet and when Kok came on the ball was in his half the whole time. I thought that Kok defended well though. Leyds played fullback and did nothing to put his Boks place at risk. IDK if Ismaiel and Duncan Matthews played well enough to get a look but their passing has improved a lot since John Mitchel came to Bulls. Hope they have a great Super Rugby next year.

Centre - I thought that Lukhanyo Am had a great game and should get a start. Huw Jones was excellent I thought. Too bad he plays for Scottland.

Number 10 - While Bosch didn't do much wrong I actually thought that Boshoff did more for his team. Maybe the Blue Bulls playing style required more of Boshoff but I thought that he came out of the game looking like the better fly-half. Just makes it seem like Bosch is not ready. Robert de Preez with the exception of two poor kicks at the start of the 2nd half I thought was excellent. Maybe he is the guy that should be getting a look.

Number 9 - Nothing here really. Ross Cronje seems like the only one that can manage a team in multi-phase play. I was underwhelmed by Schreuder. How much do people rate him?

Forwards - Not a lot to add here especially because this is not really the Boks' issue. I thought that Jean-Luc de Preez was excellent.

The more I think about it the more I'm happy about the Bokke and where we are, the side is just really young and really raw.
It's crazy that our second most capped player is a 25 year old (Eben) and our third most capped (and highest capped back) is 24 (Jan).

Looking at history to win a world cup you need a high number of average caps:
99, Australia: 42.20
03, England: 45.73
07, South Africa 45.53
11, New Zealand: 48.27
15, New Zealand: 66.40

We're clearly nowhere near that with Jan sitting on 25, at our third highest capped player.
Basically we should stop viewing this side as a side that's going to bring us first place in 2019, but rather what small increments we can achieve to get us towards 2023.
Perhaps a negative perspective but I think a realistic one.

With that in mind I'd like to see a few potential world beaters get more exposure so they can be ready for the future. Gelant should be our 23, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind. I like DDA but let the guy play some rugby, he's played like 3 seconds of rugby this year, just let him work his way up the ranks again if he can.

Well, the goal is certainly to get to the the Final in 2019. And being in The same pool as NZ, which means that the ABs will be on the other side of the knockout bracket, makes that a reasonable goal for me.

Yeah, the team is younger than other WC winning teams but those stats that you have mentioned are the past. If the Boks keep improving at the pace that they are improving they should be in the top four when the World Cup begins. If they get out of their pool, they won't face NZ until the final.

Haha my whole point was to manage expectations, we might be improving but I still feel England/Ireland/NZ and maybe even Aus are ahead of us in terms of preparation. We might have more raw talent than those other teams I suppose (other than the Kiwis).

Having just watched the Currie Cup Semi's I thought that I would make some comments.

Warrick Gelant - I thought that he was incredible. This was probably the fourth Blue Bulls game I have seen this Currie Cup and I thought that it was by far his strongest. He does everything: good under the high ball, runs to make opportunities with patience, great off loads, is active at the break down and can tackle forwards running at him at pace. I guess that the element missing from his game might be kicking but I'm not sure. I really hope that he gets to go on tour.

Wings - I didn't see any stand out wing play in these games. I thought that Nkosi and Senatla were both quiet and when Kok came on the ball was in his half the whole time. I thought that Kok defended well though. Leyds played fullback and did nothing to put his Boks place at risk. IDK if Ismaiel and Duncan Matthews played well enough to get a look but their passing has improved a lot since John Mitchel came to Bulls. Hope they have a great Super Rugby next year.

Centre - I thought that Lukhanyo Am had a great game and should get a start. Huw Jones was excellent I thought. Too bad he plays for Scottland.

Number 10 - While Bosch didn't do much wrong I actually thought that Boshoff did more for his team. Maybe the Blue Bulls playing style required more of Boshoff but I thought that he came out of the game looking like the better fly-half. Just makes it seem like Bosch is not ready. Robert de Preez with the exception of two poor kicks at the start of the 2nd half I thought was excellent. Maybe he is the guy that should be getting a look.

Number 9 - Nothing here really. Ross Cronje seems like the only one that can manage a team in multi-phase play. I was underwhelmed by Schreuder. How much do people rate him?

Forwards - Not a lot to add here especially because this is not really the Boks' issue. I thought that Jean-Luc de Preez was excellent.

Agree with Gelant. But Butch James made a fair point after the game, in that Gelant focuses too much on counter attacking, and at times doesn't make the right decisions when he should rather kick, or take the ball back to the forwards.

At the wings, I'd like to throw in Travis Ishmael to the mix. He's big, fast and strong. He's solid under the high ball and defends pretty well. We won't be worse off with him, even if it was just his second match after returning from injury.

Am was pretty good. I think he and RJvR should both make the EOYT squad.

Robert Du Preez and Boshoff has been managing their team pretty well all season. I think both of them along with Bosch have been in good form lately.

Scrumhalf. I really like the looks of Iwan van Zyl, even with his 2 blunders in the semi's, he still impressed me. It's great to see a flyhalf trying to sneak through or take the gaps like Fourie and Joost used to do in the past. He just has to work on his nerves.

Forwards. Thomas Du Toit, Akker van der Merwe, Kwagga Smith, JL Du Preez, Nizaam Carr and Chris Cloete have all been impressive.

As a Sharks fan Schreuder is yet to impress me. Don't really understand why he was called up to the Springboks but hopefully he becomes a better player from the experience of training with the best in the country. He will also be needed in the Sharks squad for next years Super rugby as our Scrum half prodigy in Cobus Reinach moved to England. And he was instrumental in the Kings Super Rugby campaign alongside Lionel Cronje so maybe he has something to offer.

Jean Luc du Preez was good again but so was his brother Dan. You can see they are destined to be Springboks. Ruan Botha would also be a great reserve player for the Springboks in the case that Etzebeth, du Toit, de Jager or Mostert gets injured. I rate him as the same quality alongside de Jager and Mostert while he is probably a level below du Toit and Etzebeth.

EOTY squad announced but I posted in the internationals thread. RC is over.

Latest posts