• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bok Tri-Nations Squad

rugbywriter

Academy Player
Hi all,

(wanna-be) rugbwriter here from S.A. Am keen to join the community here on this forum. I'm very interested to know what some people would have as their Springbok 36-man squad. Here's mine: (Over-seas players included. Injured players excluded)

1. CJ van der Linde
2. Schalk Brits
3. BJ Botha
4. Andries Bekker (Sick of Bakkies giving away penalties and getting suspended. Bekker deserves his spot)
5. Victor Matfield
6. Schalk Burger
7. Francois Louw
8. Pierre Spies
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jaques Fourie
14. Gerhard van den Heever
15. Frans Steyn
16. John Smit
17. Bakkies Botha
18. Danie Rossouw
19. Sarel Pretorious
20. Butch James
21. Wynand Olivier
22. Riaan Viljoen

23. Francois Hougaard
24. Gio Aplon
25. Joe Pietersen
26. Peter Grant
27. Dewaldt Potgieter
28. Wiaan du Preez
29. Gary Botha
30. Ryan Kankowski
31. Dewald Duvenage
32. Jean Deysel
33. Duane Vermulen
34. Tiaan Liebenberg
35. Juan de Jongh
36. Flip van der Merwe

seems to be the most likely option although i do t think they will give schalke brits the position he deserves ..and i would rather kankowski in 8 and deysel in 7 would add a bit more flair to the backrow

Is Brits likely to be named for the Boks with him playing at Saracens though?

Is Brits likely to be named for the Boks with him playing at Saracens though?

Nope. Not a chance, PDV is a tool when it comes to selection/management. Brits is probably the best hooker SA has at the moment. Smit is probably 5th choice. The only reason he's even on my bench is because the Sharks fanatics will rip my head off and I don't like fighting/arguing.

was talking to shane yesterday actually and i dont like his mullet quite as much ...but nah its my province and im with their schools team so i suppose i must support them :p

Isn't a 36 man squad over kill? It's likely a 27 man squad will be announced instead. And you also don't have a tighthead prop in your match 22.

My match 22 would be:

1. G Steenkamp
2. J Smit
3. BJ Botha
4. A Bekker
5. V Matfield
6. S Burger
7. F Louw
8. P Spies
9. F du Preez
10. M Steyn
11. B Habana
12. J de Villiers
13. J Fourie
14. F Hougaard (Don't know who else really)
15. F Steyn
16. G Botha
17. CJ van der Linde
18. D Rossouw
19. J Deysel
20. D Devunage
21. P Grant
22. R Viljoen (rate this guy highly)

Guys like to see in the extended squad would be:

B Basson
D Vermuelen
B Botha
J de Jonge
R Kankowski
T Liebenberg
BEAST!!!
W Olivier
J Vermaak

Nope. Not a chance, PDV is a tool when it comes to selection/management. Brits is probably the best hooker SA has at the moment.

Haha no Brits isn't. Take anything you see in the Guinness Premiership with a pinch of salt.

Can't agree with you. Gurthro sucks. And CJ can very much play tight-head. He played their in the 2007 world cup! But BJ is a more then quality tight-head. Dissapointed to see you put Duvenage over Sarel Pretorious who won 3 man of the matches in a row. Sarel Pretorious is going to be one of the best scrum halves the world has ever seen. I also rate Riaan Viljoen very highly. I'm also glad to see you put Vermaak. I know he didn't make my squad, but that's only because he's always injured. Can't believe you like Beast. He sucks immensly. So useless and over-rated. A bumbling fool in every aspect of the game. Countless handling errors and conceded penalties. Doesn't even deserve to be in the Sharks. Also, I hope you're joking about Bjorn Basson. This oke barely played in the S14 and you want to see him in the Boks? And come on, John Smit is super kak. Here are South African hookers in order:
1. Schalk Brits
2.Gary Botha
3. Tiaan Liebenberg
4. Bismarck du Plessis
5. Adriaan Strauss
6. John Smit!

Gurthro has been the best SA loosehead in the S14 this year, his scrummaging has improved this year. Van der Linde may be a more experienced player who is better but how can you choose him when his been injured most of the time he's been at Leinster. He will have to prove himself in SA again.
I actually like ol' Sarel a lot and would love to have him in the Bok setup. I've personally seen more of Duvenage since watching the Stormers closely this year and believe he could play at International level. I also picked Vermaak kinda based on how good he's been overall over the course of 3 years. I think all 5 scrumhalves from the S14 teams could play international rugby. Definitely one of our strong positions.
You obviously don't like Sharks players but calling John Smit 'super kak' is ridiculous. The man is worth his weight in gold to SA rugby.

And CJ can very much play tight-head. He played their in the 2007 world cup! But BJ is a more then quality tight-head.
Since both CJ and BJ have represented Irish provinces over the last couple of years, I've seen quite a lot of each of them. Van der Linde, when fit, has been a strong scrummager playing primarily at tighthead. The problem with him has been that he's struggled with his fitness for 18 months and tended to coast through most games only raising his performances for the bigger European clashes (and games with Munster). Botha on the other hand has been absolutely brilliant for Ulster. He regularly destroys the opposition loosehead at scrumtime and is a menace in general play. From what I've seen over the last two seasons, I'd pick BJ Botha ahead of CJ van der Linde.

I haven't seen too much Super 14 rugby this year. Who are the Bok tightheads who've most impressed in that competition and in last year's Currie Cup? Also, who'll be your backup flyhalf now that Ruan Pienaar appears set for a move to Ulster?

Brits would be the best hooker SA have if he could scrum or throw a lineout... His loose play is second to none but when it comes to doing the job of a hooker, he leaves a lot to be desired.

Gurthro has been the best SA loosehead in the S14 this year, his scrummaging has improved this year. Van der Linde may be a more experienced player who is better but how can you choose him when his been injured most of the time he's been at Leinster. He will have to prove himself in SA again.
I actually like ol' Sarel a lot and would love to have him in the Bok setup. I've personally seen more of Duvenage since watching the Stormers closely this year and believe he could play at International level. I also picked Vermaak kinda based on how good he's been overall over the course of 3 years. I think all 5 scrumhalves from the S14 teams could play international rugby. Definitely one of our strong positions.
You obviously don't like Sharks players but calling John Smit 'super kak' is ridiculous. The man is worth his weight in gold to SA rugby.

John Smit IS super kak! A liabilty on defence, incapable of scrummaging properly, constantly fumbling the ball. Come on. John Smit is no good as a player.

Hi all,

(wanna-be) rugbwriter here from S.A. Am keen to join the community here on this forum. I'm very interested to know what some people would have as their Springbok 36-man squad. Here's mine: (Over-seas players included. Injured players excluded)

1. CJ van der Linde
2. Schalk Brits
3. BJ Botha
4. Andries Bekker (Sick of Bakkies giving away penalties and getting suspended. Bekker deserves his spot)
5. Victor Matfield
6. Schalk Burger
7. Francois Louw
8. Pierre Spies
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jaques Fourie
14. Gerhard van den Heever
15. Frans Steyn
16. John Smit
17. Bakkies Botha
18. Danie Rossouw
19. Sarel Pretorious
20. Butch James
21. Wynand Olivier
22. Riaan Viljoen

23. Francois Hougaard
24. Gio Aplon
25. Joe Pietersen
26. Peter Grant
27. Dewaldt Potgieter
28. Wiaan du Preez
29. Gary Botha
30. Ryan Kankowski
31. Dewald Duvenage
32. Jean Deysel
33. Duane Vermulen
34. Tiaan Liebenberg
35. Juan de Jongh
36. Flip van der Merwe

Another strong SA team. BTW, what's happened to Heinrich Brussouw? Is he injured, lack of form, or just out of favour?

I thought he was the find of last year's Bok team.

Another strong SA team. BTW, what's happened to Heinrich Brussouw? Is he injured, lack of form, or just out of favour?

I thought he was the find of last year's Bok team.

Ja he's brilliant. He's injured. He'll miss the rest of the year. He's deffinitely not dropped.

Latest posts