• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bosman heading for Durban?

User1245

Academy Player
Club or Nation
South Africa
2d5472cd163e4afc836f5225fcaf5d62.jpg

Meyer Bosman, who will be on the Springboks’ substitute's bench for Saturday’s Test against Wales in Cardiff, may soon play for the Sharks.

The Cheetahs' inside centre’s contract expires in October 2010 and he may well start training with the Durban-based side before the end of the year.

Bosman, 25, made his Test debut against Wales at flyhalf in 2005 and the Sharks intend using him there and at inside centre.

The Sharks have been courting Bosman ever since it came to light that Ruan Pienaar signed with Irish side Ulster. The Sharks also recently asked André Pretorius to visit Durban and undergo fitness tests.

The Sharks have also contracted Grey College and Free State Craven Week player Paul Jordaan as a flyhalf.

Bosman made his provincial debut for the Cheetahs against the Griffons in 2005 and a year later played his first Super 14 game against the Bulls.

His agent from the Essentially Group, Stephan Weyers, confirmed on Sunday that the Sharks are interested in contracting Bosman.

“We are meeting the Sharks about Meyer on July 1,†said Weyers.

A number of overseas clubs are also interested in Bosman thanks to his excellent distribution skills.

His possible move to the Sharks will be a setback for the Cheetahs as Lionel Mapoe, who is represented by former Cheetahs wing Jan-Harm van Wyk, also recently moved to Durban.

However, the Sharks and Cheetahs are still engaged in a tug of war over Mapoe’s services and it’s uncertain for which Currie Cup team he will end up playing.

Free State Rugby Union president Harold Verster recently confirmed to Sport24 that they will not issue a clearance certificate for Mapoe to play for the Sharks in this year’s Currie Cup.

Surprisingly, neither the South African Rugby Players’ Association (SARPA) nor the South African Rugby Union (SARU) have intervened or said anything about the Mapoe saga.

With Bosman in all likelihood on his way to Durban, Cheetahs coaches Naka Drotské and Hawies Fourie will have to plan well with a view to next year’s Super 15.

Thankfully for the Cheetahs a replacement for Bosman should be found among current contracted players Robert Ebersohn, Philip Snyman, Corné Uys, Wayne Stevens and Barry Goodes. Sevens Springboks JW Jonker and Hofmann Maritz are also possible solutions.
Source

Not my personal first choice replacement for Pienaar. I'd much rather have J-L Potgieter in the team. I do think Bosman has the potential to be a very solid 10 for the Sharks though. We really need one after the recent flyhalf saga.

Also rumors that Andre Pretorius is recovering from injury in Durban and might also play for the Sharks...?

Yeah you right he has left the Force and is looking to get fit for the CC. It's seems if he doesn't get fit in time we won't sign him. Not sure though.

I think we are more likely to see him at inside center, as the article says.
I like Swanepoel but having that extra kicking option seems to good not to utilise.
As other posters have said, with the likes of Ludik and Terblanche around, I think we will see Lambie at 10 come the CC.
I would prefer to see him year as well, which is where I feel his services are most required.

Latest posts