• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Nither fighter is very likable but Fury looks seriously out of shape and unless he stays off the fried soda bread will get hammered.

Have to say Fury's line about Vladimir not being able to knock out a walk was funny

Emmmm mixed emotions for me.

I want to see Tyson get humiliated but i don't want Klit to get his hands on the ***le again.
Doesn't everyone just want to see him humiliated by Joshua?

Think everyone does but don't know if Joshua could just yet. Fury is a massive idiot but a quality boxer and will beat Klitckhko again

Think everyone does but don't know if Joshua could just yet. Fury is a massive idiot but a quality boxer and will beat Klitckhko again

You are kidding right. Fury is one of the most amateur world champions boxing has had. He claims he hits with unorthodox angles like Prince Naseem Hamed, but honestly I think he just flails. Klit will demolish Fury in their next fight and then Klit will get demolished by the winner of Joseph and Joshua. And so will end the reign of the Robotic Heavyweights.

Nither fighter is very likable but Fury looks seriously out of shape and unless he stays off the fried soda bread will get hammered.

Have to say Fury's line about Vladimir not being able to knock out a walk was funny

Wlad is actually a really decent, likeable and intelligent guy. Just boring in the ring though.

You are kidding right. Fury is one of the most amateur world champions boxing has had. He claims he hits with unorthodox angles like Prince Naseem Hamed, but honestly I think he just flails. Klit will demolish Fury in their next fight and then Klit will get demolished by the winner of Joseph and Joshua. And so will end the reign of the Robotic Heavyweights.

I'm hoping for a Klitschko win - but I see Fury taking this one again too. Klitschko just looked far too slow and rigid in the last fight.

I would describe Fury as a lot of things but in no way is he robotic. Sometimes he looks like one of those giant inflatable things outside garage sails. He doesn't have amazing power by any stretch, and people make too much of his hand speed which to be honest doesn't impress me at all considering the lack of power in his punches - but he is extremely awkward to fight. The way he tucks his chin near his shoulder and rolls with the punches is very impressive, particularly for a big man who you would expect to stay away at range so much.

For me that was what Klitscho struggled with the most. He came into a fight as the shorter man, but he lost it because he couldn't deal with Fury on the inside. Fury just had too many angles.

For the record as you can see in this thread - I certainly picked Klitschko to win the first fight. But Klitschko will have to fight very, very differently to win the second fight. he will have to me much more aggressive, throw more right hands, and not get into a wrestling match with Fury.

After this fight I see Klitschko retiring regardless of the result. If he loses I doubt he'll hang around for more fights, while I also can't see him wanting to risk a fight against another big man when he seems to be on the decline.

As for Fury vs Joshua - I think Fury is the better boxer at the moment. I'd pick him over Joshua, Wilder or Parker - yet I'd certainly say he was the least athletically gifted of the three. None of them have yet fought a fighter that ranks in my top 10 in the heavyweight division. Joshua should steamroll Brezeale - who is a joke frankly. Parker vs Takam will be a very interesting fight - I have Parker as the favorite but Takam is quality. Wilder faces Povetkin in the only meaningful ***el fight he has had since winning it verse Stiverne - and I think it will be a very, very interesting fight. Of all the heavyweights in the division only Klitschko has a better winning resume than Povetkin. Povetkin is a monster hitter, has an absolutely world class amateur background (far more than just his gold medal in the Olympics), has only lost against one of the most dominant fighters in the divisions history in Klitschko (who at the time would have undoubtedly also beaten Wilder). He is however much shorter. Willder on the other hand also has amazing KO power, and is much taller and with better reach. He's probably also the better athlete. As a boxer however he is terribly clumsy.

If I were to pick my heavyweight rankings right now in top 10 it would look like:

1. Tyson Fury
2. Wladamir Klitschko
3. Alexander Povetkin
4. Anthony Joshua
5. Luis Ortiz
6. Deontay Wilder
7. David Haye
8. Joseph Parker
9. Kubrat Puev
10. Carlos Takam

I'm hoping for a Klitschko win - but I see Fury taking this one again too. Klitschko just looked far too slow and rigid in the last fight.

I would describe Fury as a lot of things but in no way is he robotic.

I was more describing gentlemen like Klit and several others as Robotic.

I can't stand Fury. I love Klit for his achievments but for me the future of the heavyweight division is Parker and Joshua.

"I now know why most of the British people don't support me, it's coz I'm a gypsy & don't fly the British flag"

No Tyson, its because you're a crass embarrassment. Your race / heritage / ethnicity / whatever (see Eng vs Wales thread) has nothing to do with it.

"I now know why most of the British people don't support me, it's coz I'm a gypsy & don't fly the British flag"

No Tyson, its because you're a crass embarrassment. Your race / heritage / ethnicity / whatever (see Eng vs Wales thread) has nothing to do with it.

Tyson Fury's mental state is just bizarre to me. I mean so much of what he does and says seems to be a performance - but he either goes through stages of self-aggrandizement, or self-depreciation. He says things for the sake of being controversial, and then develops a victim complex when it backfires.

Pretty clearly being a traveller hasn't hurt Billy Joe Saunders popularity, so I'm not sure why Fury is so adamant he isn't liked. It seems to me that Fury takes a pop at the English public every chance he gets, now he wants to move to LA...like, of course people are going to dislike you...

And not to stir anything, the press at the Manchester Press conference were a disgrace. Especially the two women (one of which was from Irish radio I recall), total disgrace. Seemed to use the press conference as a platform to smear Klitschko - than to ask genuine questions. What's ironic is that Fury himself in an interview with IFTV several months prior admitted that Klitschko was professional and never cheated..

Nothing wrong with his mental state he is just one of those fortunate individuals that really genuinely doesn't give a toss what people think of him. It's very typical for self made men particularly when you have risen as far as he has and he has risen, for a pikey to become world heavyweight champion is just about the greatest thing a pikey can ever do. He is revered as royalty in the travelling community, my old neighbours who were Irish gypsies would have massive parties whenever he fought and you can guarantee in a hundred years time they will talk about the great Tyson Fury the gypsy that became the greatest fighter in the world. He frankly couldn't give a toss what the press, fans, media, whoever think of him because in his own community he is king.

Looks like Wilder v Povetkin may be cancelled as Povetkin has tested positive for PEDs. Would be a huge shame as it would be a great fight. If Wilder won it would justify him as a World Champion. For Povetkin it would reward the guy who has taken and won the toughest fights in the division. Apparently it is for the same thing Sharipova was caught taken - and the Povetkin camp are arguing it has stayed on his system since it was banned in Jan - however skeptics are arguing it would have shown up in previous tests. Really hoping it goes ahead.

Haye also has his fight against jis tin-can opponent, to setup another money spinning but otherwise meritless fight with Briggs. Briggs fights the more challenging opponent on his undercard against Demitrinko (forget the spelling) which will be a good fight. Hoping Demitrenko puts Briggs out of business tbh. That said it would likely set Haye up for a Demitrenko fight rather than against a top 15 / 20 boxer - just sitting until he gets a money making volentary against Joshua instead of earning a ***le shot.

Joshua has a fight against undefeated American and fellow Olympian Dominic Brezeale. Despite their similarities in size Joshua should win inside the first 2 rounds as Brezeale is slow, not especially powerful for a big man, has no real ring generalship - and was lucky that the 44 year old Amir Mansour suffered a freak injury in his last fight as he was brutalizing Brezeale in every round.

Joshua v Takam looks like it will be a classic. With no Wilder v Povetkin it should be my most anticipated fight for the next few weeks. I pick Parker still - but Takam is a good fighter and looking in the best shape I have ever seen him.

Gerard Washington was too good for Eddie Chambers - while Pulev showed once again Chisora isn't much more than a British level fighter. Hpping the IBF don't make Parker V Pulev as another eliminator.

No news on Lucas Browne who is fighting charges of PEDs. Ortiz and Ustinov fight an eliminator for his best. I like that fight actually. Ortiz is the danger guy of the division, but Ustinov I feel is a little underated - and pretty good at negating fighters on the inside and using his reach.

Then obviously Fury v Klitschlo 2 which is another massive HW fight coming up...exciting times.

Looks like Wilder v Povetkin may be cancelled as Povetkin has tested positive for PEDs. Would be a huge shame as it would be a great fight. If Wilder won it would justify him as a World Champion. For Povetkin it would reward the guy who has taken and won the toughest fights in the division. Apparently it is for the same thing Sharipova was caught taken - and the Povetkin camp are arguing it has stayed on his system since it was banned in Jan - however skeptics are arguing it would have shown up in previous tests. Really hoping it goes ahead.

Haye also has his fight against jis tin-can opponent, to setup another money spinning but otherwise meritless fight with Briggs. Briggs fights the more challenging opponent on his undercard against Demitrinko (forget the spelling) which will be a good fight. Hoping Demitrenko puts Briggs out of business tbh. That said it would likely set Haye up for a Demitrenko fight rather than against a top 15 / 20 boxer - just sitting until he gets a money making volentary against Joshua instead of earning a ***le shot.

Joshua has a fight against undefeated American and fellow Olympian Dominic Brezeale. Despite their similarities in size Joshua should win inside the first 2 rounds as Brezeale is slow, not especially powerful for a big man, has no real ring generalship - and was lucky that the 44 year old Amir Mansour suffered a freak injury in his last fight as he was brutalizing Brezeale in every round.

Joshua v Takam looks like it will be a classic. With no Wilder v Povetkin it should be my most anticipated fight for the next few weeks. I pick Parker still - but Takam is a good fighter and looking in the best shape I have ever seen him.

Gerard Washington was too good for Eddie Chambers - while Pulev showed once again Chisora isn't much more than a British level fighter. Hpping the IBF don't make Parker V Pulev as another eliminator.

No news on Lucas Browne who is fighting charges of PEDs. Ortiz and Ustinov fight an eliminator for his best. I like that fight actually. Ortiz is the danger guy of the division, but Ustinov I feel is a little underated - and pretty good at negating fighters on the inside and using his reach.

Then obviously Fury v Klitschlo 2 which is another massive HW fight coming up...exciting times.

Joshua vs Breazeale is a decent first defense, probably better than Wilders Molina. Breazy would walk right through Molina IMO. Breazy looked like **** vs Mansour but he showed some positives as well. A decent chin and plenty of heart + you are selling him a bit short, it wasn't a freak accident he got "punched in the face" and his jaw fractured and he bit through his tounge, swinging like a mad man is a dangerous thing in the heavyweight division and Breazy caught him.

Takam is a decent fighter but he's not really elite, he's short for the division and doesn't have big power, still its a massive step up for Joe. I think Joe should win based on physical ability, but given the experience gap it could definitely be a banana skin, Takam has to put doubt in Joe's mind and he needs to put him under pressure. If they fight at range Joe's speed and power should be too much for Takam.

I know you probably want to see Joe find the easiest route to a ***le but I still like to see good fights. Pulev would be an interesting match up for Joe. If Joe wins against Takam I expect him to go back to the Bergman\Martz\Tupou level of opposition waiting for a ***le fight. I don't think he's going to be ready and I don't think he will beat the likes of AJ, Wilder, Fury or Wlad after having 1 decent scrap against Takam, who tbf is a far different stature to those giants with a fair bit less skill as well. Fighting and beating Takam then Pulev would put him in good stead for a ***le shot.

Joshua vs Breazeale is a decent first defense, probably better than Wilders Molina. Breazy would walk right through Molina IMO. Breazy looked like **** vs Mansour but he showed some positives as well. A decent chin and plenty of heart + you are selling him a bit short, it wasn't a freak accident he got "punched in the face" and his jaw fractured and he bit through his tounge, swinging like a mad man is a dangerous thing in the heavyweight division and Breazy caught him.

Takam is a decent fighter but he's not really elite, he's short for the division and doesn't have big power, still its a massive step up for Joe. I think Joe should win based on physical ability, but given the experience gap it could definitely be a banana skin, Takam has to put doubt in Joe's mind and he needs to put him under pressure. If they fight at range Joe's speed and power should be too much for Takam.

I know you probably want to see Joe find the easiest route to a ***le but I still like to see good fights. Pulev would be an interesting match up for Joe. If Joe wins against Takam I expect him to go back to the Bergman\Martz\Tupou level of opposition waiting for a ***le fight. I don't think he's going to be ready and I don't think he will beat the likes of AJ, Wilder, Fury or Wlad after having 1 decent scrap against Takam, who tbf is a far different stature to those giants with a fair bit less skill as well. Fighting and beating Takam then Pulev would put him in good stead for a ***le shot.

A few points. I mean personally I think Malina is on a similar level, and probably a little bit better than Brezeale. He doesn't have the same undefeated record, but is losses came against Arreola and Wilder who were both probably USA's best heavyweights at the time of fighting them. He subsequently beat Adamek. Brezeale looked lucky to beat Fred Kassi, and went the distance with Nagy Aguilera. There are guys that should get KO'd.

But even taking that they are at the same level, Wilder's defenses of his heavyweight ***le have been an absolute joke. I'm not surprised he has called the Povetkin fight off completely - and if Povetkin is found to be a drug cheat I can't blame him - but if he doesn't have to fight is mandatory, and his next fight is against someone like Bryant Jennings, Andy Ruiz or Derek Chisora; as opposed to one of Joshua, Fury or another big name contender like Haye/Ortiz - I think it will confirm him as having the weakest ***le defenses in heavyweight history. Right now it's easier to get a ***le fight being a relatively marketable journeymen who is rated within the top 15 of a sanctioning body - than it is being a consistent and dangerous prospect rated in the top 5.

You know, I could be buying too much into the Takam hype here - but I'm getting more and more nervous for the Parker fight. I've seen all of Takam's last five or so fights, and he has never looked in such good shape. Boxing isn't bodybuilding but I'd feel much better if he looked a little less lean. I think Parker has all the physical attributes to win - I just hope he doesn't get dragged into a slugfest, as at times Parker doesn't look disciplined enough to stick to a fight plan or adapt when things go wrong.

Parker vs Pulev would be an interesting fight - and it's not one I like for Parker. Pulev sticks behind a jab well and is very good at killing a fight with grab and hold tactics. I think he could really frustrate Parker.

Having watching the Pulev chisora fight I think Pulev would be favourite if he fought Parker. He is a very skillful and durable fighter, I hope AJ gets to fight someone of his calibre soon.

Sorry but anyone who thinks Parker is in the same class as AJ after that performance is utterly deluded. He's an OK heavyweight but as I said before he's more Dillian whyte's level and certainly not in the same class as Pulev

Latest posts