• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brad Thorn

gingergenius

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
I was thinking the other day when watching the Leinster vs Cardiff game, and thinking that Leinster look about a mile ahead of any other club side, that the Heineken is theirs to lose.

That in mind, would that make Brad Thorn the most all-round successful rugby player of all time??

He's won Super Rugby with the Crusaders, the biggest competition in the SH. He's won the RWC. Adding the Heineken to this, I can't think of any players who'll have done both.

Not to mention he's already won Origin series, NRL Grand Finals and played for the Kangaroos.

anyone else remotely close to being that decorated?

I was thinking the other day when watching the Leinster vs Cardiff game, and thinking that Leinster look about a mile ahead of any other club side, that the Heineken is theirs to lose.

That in mind, would that make Brad Thorn the most all-round successful rugby player of all time??

He's won Super Rugby with the Crusaders, the biggest competition in the SH. He's won the RWC. Adding the Heineken to this, I can't think of any players who'll have done both.

Not to mention he's already won Origin series, NRL Grand Finals and played for the Kangaroos.

anyone else remotely close to being that decorated?

Thought about that when he signed, and the simple answer is no. None that I can think of even remotely close. True legend of both codes. I'm not a Leinster man by any stretch, but I hope they win just for Thorn.

He's won
State of Origin Series
NRL Grand Finals
Played for Kangeroos
National Provincial Championships
Super 14 ***les
Tri Nations
Grand Slams
Rugby World Cup

Right now he's unrivaled in terms of accomplishments, but if he wins the H-Cup, it would be extremely impressive. I think he's also nearing 400 first class games in combined codes. He's played 59 tests for the All Blacks and 1 game, making it 60 games.

Last edited:
I'm not a Leinster man either (maybe I should be my remaining Limerick Irish family (formerly Thomonds) has now dwindled and lives in south dublin) but I hope they win simply because they look so class.

Across both codes, Jason Robinson I'd had a wee think about - Super League, played for GB; won the Premiership/ Grand Slam/ RWC, went on 2 Lions Tours, captained England. But even he doesn't come close.

Rod Kafer won the World Cup with Australia although was only part of the 30 man squad and didn't play in the final (1999), Super Rugby with the Brumbies (2001) and the Heineken Cup with Leicester (2002)

the only other player to have won both Super Rugby is Doug Howlett with with Blues (2003) and Munster (2008)

as far as Rugby League and Rugby Union combined winners medals are concerned, I'm sure nobody rivals Thorn

Va'aiga Tuigamala is another successful dual code honours.

Won several ***les with Auckland and Wigan Warriors (including world club championship), 19 All Black tests (including a successful Lions Tour and unsuccessful 1991 RWC), 23 tests for Samoa (including 1 unsuccessful RWC) + Rugby League for Samoa in RLWC. Once again though, still not in the same league of success.

Brad Thorn defines the role of enforcer in rugby. Still the best Lock in world rugby and he's about a decade older than the competitors snapping at his heels.

Will be supporting Leinster just to see him add that extra trophy to his already impressive list of achievements.

Jason Robinson must be right up there. Lions test starter, international in rugby league and union, World Cup winner in Union, a Super League ***le and Premiership crown, a Challenge Cup and World Club Championship win too.

Fourie du Preez

Nothing to do with RL; most South Africans don't even know about the existence of League LOL but he spearheaded;

multiple Currie Cup ***les with the Bulls
multiple S14 ***les
3N series wins
a series win over the B&I Lions
RWC glory in 2007
and most recently a ***le guiding the Suntory Sun Goliaths in the Japanese top league.

His poor form coming back from injury is the no.1 reason why SA bowed out of the RWC 2011 IMO but his CV at least deserves a mention.

Brad Thorn defines the role of enforcer in rugby. Still the best Lock in world rugby and he's about a decade older than the competitors snapping at his heels.

Will be supporting Leinster just to see him add that extra trophy to his already impressive list of achievements.

He does it without being dirty or over the top as well. He's just unrelentingly hard. A very, very difficult player to dislike.

I'll manage it if they win though! ^_^

Nick - good read

He does it without being dirty or over the top as well. He's just unrelentingly hard. A very, very difficult player to dislike.

I'll manage it if they win though! ^_^

Nick - good read
Unless you're John Smit LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Brad Thorn would have a B&I Lions win under his belt, it's a pity. Basically the only thing he's missing.

I thought Brad Thorn would have a B&I Lions win under his belt, it's a pity. Basically the only thing he's missing.

True but with the chances to play against them coming around only every 12 years plenty of classy players will miss out on the opportunity to play opposite a very special team. I guess it adds to the value of playing against them in a way.

One of my favourite players.

Great read, thanks Nick.

Awesome to have the cup in Aotearoa. Though if you were an alien, and saw the Blues play and think they were the only NZ team, you'd be bloody scratching your head! :lol:

Nice of you to bring that up Ginger. Watched him since he played for the Broncos but didnt realise the full extent of his career and its absolutely impressive. Wouldnt be suprised if he had touch rugby ***les in the off season lol.

Really successfull career, even if he hadnt won all those ***les he'd still be a champion player in my book.

I honestly had no idea he'd gone back to League in 2005, how did I miss that?! Otherwise he would have a series win over the Lions, instead of Jonno Gibbes and that other gyppo - Robinson?

I honestly had no idea he'd gone back to League in 2005, how did I miss that?! Otherwise he would have a series win over the Lions, instead of Jonno Gibbes and that other gyppo - Robinson?

Keith Robinson. He was actually pretty good value, but constantly got injured. He actually missed the All Blacks tour through injury. The locks of the All Blacks Lions series were Chris Jack, Ali Williams, Jono Gibbes, James Ryan. Jono Gibbes or James Ryan would have probably missed out if Thorn was in New Zealand during 2005.

Interestingly, while people think that the Lions team of 2005 was the best the All Blacks have produced (and it's probably fairly true of the starting XV's performance) heaps of those players fell into obscurity and were never really THAT good. Jono Gibbes, James Ryan, Campbell Johnstone, Derren Witcombe...all players which you'd struggle to think of what they did at test level.

Last edited:
James Ryan's career was unfortunately cut short by injury - he looked the goods when he was in the squad though! He's still reasonably young now, only 29.

James Ryan was a very impressive player, he should have been a long term All Black. Heck he'd still be at the top level now if he played but he gave it up because he had a couple of bad injuries and he didn't like being in the Media constantly. He was obviously a smart lad and had an education to pursue and carrier outside sport as well.

Craig Dowd obviously no league carrier and was Robbed of his world cup in 95 but he's got a lot of other ***les in his CV

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts