• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brain Tumours and Rugby

Slater16

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
OK. So its a bit longwinded this one. I have a benign DNET brain tumour. I found out when I had a seizure five months ago (no seizures since). Doctor said it might be years old, might be new and they probably won't operate.

I'm 16 and have wanted to play rugby for a while, and when I finally decided I was gonna start the seizure happened. Now the doctor told me that he reckons getting hit hard might cause more seizures, but he's not sure, and he said that he expected me to have regular seizures (maybe monthly) but he wasn't sure.

Since the initial seizure though (which was a result of hitting my pelvis really hard) I haven't had any. I gave up on rugby after I was told no contact sports, ever (boxing was my other favourite hobby ironically) but now that I am 5 months in without one I am beginning to wonder if it might be nothing to do with my brain tumour. Thing is I did a 50 mile cycle ride the day before the seizure happened (longest distance I have ever done) and one of the doctor said it also could of just been caused by my body being too tired and unable to cope with the blow to my pelvis.

Because of this I've decided im gonna start training for rugby again. Maybe I shouldn't but I want to do it more than anything right now. Doctor told me I can play football if I want (eww) but I wanna play rugby and there still is a chance I might be able to. So my mind is set on that.

Thing is my parents would never let me join a club now, so I am gonna have to train on my own or with a mate when I can borrow one. I can do the conditioning part of that, sprints, fartleks, lifting, etc. But there is a distinct problem here when it comes to rugby skills. On my own, I can't practice passes properly, can't practice catches and I won't be able to practice important things like rucks and lineouts. So I wanted to get some advice on what I should do to practice that.

Any advice or tips would be great. I generally play a loose head prop by the way if it helps.

OK. So its a bit longwinded this one. I have a benign DNET brain tumour. I found out when I had a seizure five months ago (no seizures since). Doctor said it might be years old, might be new and they probably won't operate.

I'm 16 and have wanted to play rugby for a while, and when I finally decided I was gonna start the seizure happened. Now the doctor told me that he reckons getting hit hard might cause more seizures, but he's not sure, and he said that he expected me to have regular seizures (maybe monthly) but he wasn't sure.

Since the initial seizure though (which was a result of hitting my pelvis really hard) I haven't had any. I gave up on rugby after I was told no contact sports, ever (boxing was my other favourite hobby ironically) but now that I am 5 months in without one I am beginning to wonder if it might be nothing to do with my brain tumour. Thing is I did a 50 mile cycle ride the day before the seizure happened (longest distance I have ever done) and one of the doctor said it also could of just been caused by my body being too tired and unable to cope with the blow to my pelvis.

Because of this I've decided im gonna start training for rugby again. Maybe I shouldn't but I want to do it more than anything right now. Doctor told me I can play football if I want (eww) but I wanna play rugby and there still is a chance I might be able to. So my mind is set on that.

Thing is my parents would never let me join a club now, so I am gonna have to train on my own or with a mate when I can borrow one. I can do the conditioning part of that, sprints, fartleks, lifting, etc. But there is a distinct problem here when it comes to rugby skills. On my own, I can't practice passes properly, can't practice catches and I won't be able to practice important things like rucks and lineouts. So I wanted to get some advice on what I should do to practice that.

Any advice or tips would be great. I generally play a loose head prop by the way if it helps.

Without being silly or sarcastic, I urge you to get a second opinion before you undertake to disregard the advice you have received!

One doctor might be wrong, and often are as they are only human, but it is rare that two are wrong!

It is your life you may be playing with... !

As a father myself I would strongly urge you to Google brain injuries worst case scenarios, and take on the clinical advice you have received, It is unlikely any coach would allow you to commence training with full knowledge of your condition

This is my distinct problem. I have seen 4 doctors throughout the past few months. The collective opinion from all four of them is that they don't know, so lets wait and see. They are waiting for me to have seizures, but if there is no seizures then they will simply wait longer. For this reason I see no harm in training on my own. Even if I have another seizure in a years time and it is decided that I definitely cannot play rugby, there's still absolutely no harm in being fit to the level of a rugby player.

Also I am clear on the worst case scenario of brain injuries. Its death. The worst case scenario is that I die.

However I feel that if I live my whole life being scared of death, then im not really living. I'm just getting by.

Is there any sort of way I could train on my own?

It's an unfortunate position you find yourself in Slater, but much preferable to going undiagnosed. It is not my intention to patronize you but should you not consider getting involved in another sport with less chance of head injury, during the off season my own gang row, similar demands of power, stamina and technique with an enormous emphasis on the group .

Last edited:
It's an unfortunate position you find yourself in Shane, but much preferable to going undiagnosed. It is not my intention to patronize you but should you not consider getting involved in another sport with less chance of head injury, during the off season my own gang row, similar demands of power, stamina and technique with an enormous emphasis on the group .

As much as I have searched, I can find nothing that fits the bill. I don't like football, I don't like basketball, I'm not allowed any form of watersports. I don't really like racquet sports.

I have looked at every sport available within a 30 mile radius, and other than rugby the only ones I enjoy are martial arts and American football.

If I can find a suitable alternative I'll take it, but I'm out of ideas.

As much as I have searched, I can find nothing that fits the bill. I don't like football, I don't like basketball, I'm not allowed any form of watersports. I don't really like racquet sports.

I have looked at every sport available within a 30 mile radius, and other than rugby the only ones I enjoy are martial arts and American football.

If I can find a suitable alternative I'll take it, but I'm out of ideas.

Have a look at men's lacrosse. Minimal contact with the head and you wear a helmet anyway. I play a lot and it's good fun!

No tag/touch rugby near you? That would seem a possibly ideal compromise.

I know my club does tag rugby Wednesdays in the summer - it's possible a club near you might do the same. It's worth ringing and asking.

I did consider lacrosse, and it actually does look fun, but the closest lacrosse club with a team for my age is in east grinstead, almost 40 miles away. Its just not a distance I can do.

and i thought about touch rugby, would help me train my passing and catching, but no dice. They sometimes run one off matches in the summer time, so no luck there.

Last edited:
bro im already on that ****. Im up to 92kg from 81 and my squats gone from 40 kilos to 90 + bar. Its just that I need team sports, I need to run around and I don't get that from lifting.

**** you need running for?

Fat-lift.jpg

mate, when I lift I hurt and its all worth it when I smash my 1rm or my 5x5, but when I move and do team sports I feel good while it happens and after. I need both, lifting alone just ain't gonna cut it.

Latest posts